American Cleopatra (Full Sister to American Pharoah)

Comments

• KMMKMM Member
    That is fast!
  • KMM said:

That is fast!

Very! Set by a first-time starter, too.
  • EliRose said:

KMM said:

Liked to know track time at that distance. :) I meant as compared to Track Record at that distance. :)

The track record (which was only set this month) is :56.21.
    Actually that's the track record for 5f, not 5.5f. The track record holder for 5.5f is Ack Ack with a time of 1:02.20, set in 1970.
  • edited July 2016
    Photo of Cleo just before the wire:

• KMMKMM Member
    edited July 2016
    Then for a baby, not bad at all! Looks like she won with daylight. :)
  • LionessLioness Member
    edited July 2016
    Very sad to have missed it live! Happy to hear she won, can't wait for the replay to show up!

Edit - and here it is! https://twitter.com/TVG/status/759880167346974720
  • TVG race replay of American Cleopatra's debut:

• LionessLioness Member
    edited July 2016
    Their opening quarter was fast (though I don't often watch sprinting races), and she was up there and able to still run away at the end! Very exciting debut.
  • EliRose said:

KMM said:

Liked to know track time at that distance. :) I meant as compared to Track Record at that distance. :)

The track record (which was only set this month) is :56.21.
    Actually that's the track record for 5f, not 5.5f. The track record holder for 5.5f is Ack Ack with a time of 1:02.20, set in 1970.
    Somehow thought it was 5f, whoops!
  • Paniolo_GalPaniolo_Gal Member
    edited July 2016
    LOL! RR12 beat me to it! Anyway, here is that same race reply of American Cleopatra from twitter:
    American Cleopatra won by 2 lengths!
  • KMMKMM Member
    Thanks for posting! Very pro debut!
  • Wow. That was some race. First quarter in 21.87. War Factor and AC were really moving.
  • edited July 2016
    She rated just off the pace, too. A very smart move. I remember thinking on the backstretch "Come on, relax, use that big brain of yours! I know you have one!" Then she did. And of course, by the end I was cheering "Come on girl!".
  • Some very neat photos taken of American Cleopatra =)

• Wonderful, AC!
  • Nice price, too! Doubt that will happen again.
  • Paniolo_GalPaniolo_Gal Member
    edited August 2016
    Finally, a longer version (3:32 min) of American Cleopatra's maiden win from YouTube!

Race Track: Del Mar Race 3 "Maiden Special Weight on 7/31/16
    Age/Sex Restriction: 2-year old fillies
    Distance: 5-1/2 furlongs on dirt
    Purse: $63,000
    Winning Time: 1:03.38

Results:
    Win: [5] American Cleopatra (Stewart Elliot) purse win: $37,800
    Place: [3] Union Strike (Mike Smith) purse earning: $12,600
    Show: [6] Sandy's Surprise (Joe Talamo) purse earning: $7,560
    4th: [8] Jeweled (T Baze) purse earning: $3,780

Posted by Maruo Perdomo on 7/31/16 via YouTube

Video source and article from paulickreport.com
    http://www.paulickreport.com/news/bloodstock/american-pharoahs-full-sister-impresses-debut-win-del-mar/
    Racing stats source:
    http://www.equibase.com/static/chart/summary/DMR073116USA3-EQB.html
  • Love her. Already can't wait for her next race.
  • SarahSarah MaineMember
    Just love this girl! Thank you for the video.
  • Excerpt from article on Zayat Stable's site:

“I knew she was fit enough; those are really good genes,” Baffert said on TVG afterward. “She did something he (American Pharoah) couldn't do, win first time out. She won't race again until the (Del Mar) Debutante (G1, $300,000, 7 furlongs, Sept. 3).

Hmm.... Not too sure how I feel about this decision. I feel like she is a good filly, but is not yet ready for stakes' company. And 5 furlongs to 7 furlongs is quite the jump as well! But hey, her brother went straight from a debut loser to a G1 winner in his 2nd start. If she has even a fraction of his talent, she will do well. But this remains to be seen. All we can do now is wait!
  • It is not uncommon for 2yos to go straight into stakes company off of a MSW win (or non-win). The company isn't really much different.
  • Speed and beauty! Great combination
  • KMMKMM Member
    That is what did with RV in entering her in Spinaway.
  • It was a wonderful first race for her and she won it beautifully, making my very happy and excited for her future. Yea!
  • Love the look in her eye. Think she is just about to giggle!