American Cleopatra (Full Sister to American Pharoah)

Comments

• American Cleopatra is running May 5th in an allowance optional claiming race for 3 year old fillies going 6 1/2 furlongs at Churchill Downs. She will be ridden by Rafael Bejarano. She is trained by Bob Baffert and owned by Zayat Stables LLC.

• 6 1/2 furlongs should be a good distance for her, glad they aren't trying to force her to stretch out. Because as much as folks may wish it: she is not her brother, she doesn't have his stamina.
  • 6 1/2 furlongs should be a good distance for her, glad they aren't trying to force her to stretch out. Because as much as folks may wish it: she is not her brother, she doesn't have his stamina.

i agree 100% @RebornRuffian12
  • LionessLioness Member
    Not sure if she has it or not, but she certainly wants to be a sprinter (and wants nothing to do with rating) so let her sprint.
  • RachelRachel Member
    Shes practically a Quarter Horse out of the gate lol. I think she will win it from the gate break.
  • QueenZFan22QueenZFan22 Member
    edited May 2017
    I thought i heard that there was a jockey switch for her today? Can anyone confirm this?
  • KatyKaty Member
    edited May 2017
    According to equibase, Bejarano will ride her today. Who was her former jockey?
  • EliRoseEliRose Member
    edited May 2017
    Katy said:

According to equibase, Bejarano will ride her today. Who was her former jockey?

Stewart Elliot in her maiden and the Chandelier, Bejarano in the Debutante.
  • Someone let me know how she does, please? I am in so much pain I am rendered completely bedridden, I barely made it through the Ky. Oaks as is.
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    I think she finished 7th of 8
  • edited May 2017
    Poor girl =( I had a feeling she wasn't a mud puppy as her brother is. Well, she will probably ship back to California, and race for 2 or 3 more times there. If she doesn't improve, she will almost definitely be retired, as the Zayats have explicitly said they value her greatly as a broodmare prospect.

On that note: Anyone got any good ideas for a first date? Sheer postulation right now :) But fun to think about. As the Zayats like to send their maidens to their own stallions first: I'm guessing Paynter, Which would be great! He has ample amounts of stamina, despite his balls-out running style; is the nephew of the HIGHLY regarded distance sire: Tiznow, and the progeny of a BCC winner. He was only narrowly defeated by Union Rags (who I'd also heavily consider for her) in the Belmont. He'd be a great candidate for them if they wanted to put more distance and scope into her progeny, yet want to create a homebred.
    If they want more speed? I think Justin Phillip would be a good start :)
  • At this point in the year, with her lack of training/racing, it's time to send her to fields. She would run, what, one more time between now and October? She unfortunately bled in a race as a 2YO and only raced once since. Let her begin enjoying time as a broodmare.
  • Is it normal to breed a filly at three? It seems so young.
  • KMMKMM Member
    edited August 2017
    She is fully mature as a mare, as a 3 year old, if so. If Zayat still plans to race her, have seen no current workouts.

• She is not. They are fully mature and called mares once they reach age 5.
  • Rachel said:

She is not. They are fully mature and called mares once they reach age 5.

That's what I thought!
  • KMMKMM Member
    That is a surprise to me. Citation?
  • However, fillies can reach reproductive maturity at a yr old. Which is why they are seperated as yearlings at the farm.
  • KMMKMM Member
    edited August 2017
    That is racing terminology, not breeding terminology. Three year old racers that are "fillies" are bred often. It is not unorthodox. K
  • Fillies/mares is semantics. Sexual maturity is what we are taking about.
  • Did you know a female cow isn't called a cow until she has a calf? Until then she is a Heifer. So not relative to topic but I love throwing interesting info out. But I did read that a filly isn't a mare until age 4 or 5 and that it varies between breeds when they reach full maturity.
  • KMMKMM Member
    edited August 2017
    It is "terminology" IMO, Rachel. They are pretty much sexually mature and won't have a foal until 4, if bred at 3. Have you looked at the sales for 3 year old females, or two year olds in the late fall, sold to be broodmares? It is a common practice in thoroughbred industry. Cows have nothing to do with it.
  • She knows cows have nothing to do with this @KMM. Rachel was making a point. Geez.
  • KMMKMM Member
    If owners and trainers choose to race horses because they are successful, past 3 year old, it improves their value.Most decisions are made about commercial value. That is the reality.