Scheduled Upgrades

kyleakylea Administrator
edited June 2016 in Tech Support & Tutorials
Hi everyone!

We will be shutting down the forum for a period of time so we can perform maintenance and install an update. This will likely happen this afternoon, Wednesday June 15. The update will bring minor changes to the user interface and resolve many of the speed and loading issues that we've experienced.

Once the update is installed, any saved or bookmarked links to the current forum will no longer be valid. All content, discussions and messages will be saved but their URLs will change. We apologize for this inconvenience. You will be able to navigate to the upgraded forum for the first time by clicking on the "FORUMS" link in the main menu on Zenyatta.com.

We'll be here to answer any questions.

Thank you,
The Web Team

Comments

• Paniolo_GalPaniolo_Gal Member
    edited June 2016
    Question...Will the drafts we plan to post later that we have in various discussions be safe/saved with this new interface? Or do we have to save all works we have outstanding in our own computer docs.

Please advise. Thanks @kylea!

Update: About what time in the afternoon will this update start...based on EST or whatever time zone the Web Team is in?
  • kyleakylea Administrator
    All data, including drafts, should carry over. That being said, we can't guarantee against unexpected losses. If you have any critically important content stored on the forum, it would be wise to keep copies on your personal machines. This statement applies always, not just during upgrades.
    edited June 2016
    Thanks @kylea! Do you have any rough idea what time (EST?/CST?) this upgrade will start this afternoon and how long it may take?
    Not yet. I'm doing some pre-upgrade prep right now, and I plan to start the upgrade as soon as I'm ready. It shouldn't take long unless I run into any unexpected issues. I realize this is an incredibly vague answer to your question—sorry I can't be more specific!
    edited June 2016
    No worries @kylea...I've saved all my drafts on my computer just in case.
    Should we close out/sign out of the forum? Or just wait/hover until we get the okay that the upgrade is complete to access this new upgrade through the main menu as you mentioned above.

Sorry for all these questions...but I think others may have these thoughts/questions in mind as well. :oD
    Before we begin the upgrade we will take the current forum down. You won't be able to access anything until the upgrade is complete. There's no need to sign out first, but you will need to sign back in once the upgrade is complete.
  • Thank you soo much @kylea! :oD
  • Forum is backup and working fine, but the discussion group headers are not there. It seems that all new posts are at the head of the forum, outside of their own groups. Is this an intended outcome?
  • KMMKMM Member
    Kyle is still implementing the upgrades, although we have access.
    Yes, @jnwisconsin, this is a change that we decided to make. The categories still exist, but the default view shows all discussions with the most recent first. You can click on the category links in the sidebar on the right or go directly to the categories page (link in menu bar).
  • Got it. I posted in case there was a gremlin in the system. This happened with pretty much every change or upgrade where I worked. We were asked to report anything unusual. I'm still conditioned to do that. Yikes!
    Thanks you for posting! I'd like to encourage all users to post feedback, comments, and questions. You can help us identify problems and explain any changes that might not make sense.
    edited June 2016
    Hi @kylea,

I noticed my thumbnail image or Avatar image is missing from my profile.
    I tried to input my ole drawing back in...but when I click "Change Picture", the notification that appears says:
    Page Not Found
    The page you were looking for could not be found.

Are you still in the process of refining the new format or is this a glitch that needs to be corrected?
    Please advise...thanks! Update: My ole Avatar image has returned so this issue is now okay.

Edit: Also, the underscore option is not available in the new format...can this be added back in? (but I like the new strike thru option) :oD

edited June 2016
    Ok, good, you noticed that I was able to restore most of the missing avatars.

Unfortunately I don't think underscore can be brought back. We're using a new text editor that includes image uploads. I thought this would make everyone happy.

As for underscore, you can always type it manually <u>like this</u>
    edited June 2016
    For manual formate for underscore, that's what I used above.

btw...these emoji images are rather "funky"...I personally don't care for them as it tends to cheapen the overall look in the forum. I've seen it being used in places like MareStare and it becomes messy & childish looking.
    Perhaps simplified emoji expressions that are not in color? ...Like this:
  • Would it be possible to move the Quote links back into the bar that contains the time of post and Flag link?
    Hey @jaefeathered, I don't think it's possible to move the quote link, but I am working on reformatting it. It's supposed to have a little quotation mark icon to its left.
    @Paniolo_Gal, what about this emoji set? (I just changed it). :)
    edited June 2016
    kylea said:

@Paniolo_Gal, what about this emoji set? (I just changed it). :)

It's a little better, but not by much. I guess to me simple non-colored is more adult looking. We don't want to make the forum look like a Japanese-like Hi Kitty forum. Sorry, just my honest opinion...No offense to the Japanese members on this forum.
    There isn't a colorless option, but there is a "no emoji" option. Does anyone else want to weigh in?
    edited June 2016
    For me, I vote no emogi if there isn't one that is basically b/w and graphically simplified AND Adult Related. Too bad we can't do other emojis like this set below for example, which is more adult related graphic expressions.

https://aquarteryoung.files.wordpress.com/2014/10/emojis.jpg

Update: Here is a more versatile set in b/w with a variety of emojis:
    http://getemoji.com/

@kylea ...here are some additional comments:
    I personally like to see something other than the usual emogis...like a Trojan Horse
    or the proverbial....
  • Thanks Kyle! I think reformatting "Quote" would help a lot.
    edited June 2016
    Hi @kylea
    I'm still on the no emojis for smiley faces, etc. But am open to using the b/w hand expressions instead...
    I know you probably can't do these emojis...but rather than smiley faces...is there an option for using hands like the OKAY! icon instead...or thumbs up, thumbs down, etc.
    Or STOP!
  • I kind of like having emojis personally. Yours sound like a great idea @Paniolo_Gal, but I would rather have these than none at all. If they change to the kind you want, that would be great too. I just like having something.
  • ZenyenZenyen Member
    I like having an emoji set of some sort tbh. It can help with tone.