Forum Upgrade: Troubleshooting

kyleakylea Administrator
edited June 2016 in Tech Support & Tutorials
We upgraded the forum on Wednesday, June 15. In addition to installing the latest version of our software, we made some minor changes to the interface and moved the forum.

Please note that the forum now lives at http://forums.zenyatta.com. Update your bookmarks!

Following the upgrade, all members are must sign in again to access the forum. Many of you had saved passwords and remained logged in for long periods of time. If you have forgotten your username or password, email forum@zenyatta.com and we can help.

Please report all issues that you are experiencing here. Describe the problem and tell us what device (mobile or desktop, be specific), browser and version of the browser you are using.

If you cannot access the forum, email us at forum@zenyatta.com and provide all of this information.

Here are some basic troubleshooting steps that you might want to take before reporting issues:
- Quit and relaunch your browser
- Empty your browser's caches
- Make sure you are using the most current stable version of your browser. Check for updates (this impacts security).
- Try using a different browser. We recommend Firefox, Chrome, or Safari.

Comments

• Paniolo_GalPaniolo_Gal Member
    edited June 2016

Hello @kylea, I've noticed an inability to log in on my phone: it appears normal, but when I enter my log in information it just reloads and doesn't take me to my account. Thought you would want to know.

This posting is from the Scheduled Upgrades" discussion since this posting pertains to trouble shooting, etc. this discussion was more appropriate.

I initially had the same issue you just mentioned when the upgrade was completed the other day. I didn't get any response when I logged in with my user name/password from the main Zenyatta page. So after trying several times with no response, I just clicked on Forums and it opened up to the Recent Discussion page.

I hope this works on your phone as well. if not, I hope @kylea can fix this awkward logon glitch because I still have this issue each time I try to logon after I get out of the forum...this is using my laptop computer, not a cphone.
  • kyleakylea Administrator
    @Paniolo_Gal, can you clarify what you mean by the main Zenyatta page?

If you were trying to access the old forum during the upgrade, this behavior would make sense but should not be happening now. Now, when you go to the forums and try to log in, what happens?
    edited June 2016
    kylea said:

If you were trying to access the old forum during the upgrade, this behavior would make sense but should not be happening now. Now, when you go to the forums and try to log in, what happens?

This is that page which I called the main Zenyatta page...right after the upgrades were set up and were informed to logon after upgrades were completed. This was the page that didn't respond with the password & logon names. After getting no responses...I ended up clicking on "Forum" and was able to get on the Recent Discussion page.

• kylea said:

With the new link you provided above: http://forums.zenyatta.com/
    I had no problem getting right into the Recent Discussion page. But since I didn't log off, when I clicked on the new link, I didn't have to enter my user name. ;oD
    Wow, ok, this makes some sense! Perhaps most of our members that are reporting issues are going to that page. That page is not the forum, but an admin-only password protected page on the site. It was part of the pre-upgrade forum setup.

I just updated that page: http://www.zenyatta.com/discussions

Hopefully this helps
    edited June 2016
    Yes...I tested that new link out http://www.zenyatta.com/discussions and it works perfectly! But since I didn't log off, I didn't have to re-enter my username/password. Phew!

Glad I still had that admin-only page available to take a screen shot to show you where I had the logon issue. btw...prior to you going into the upgrade phase, I didn't log out, but went into the blog side of Zenyatta.com. When I clicked on Forum after several hours away from the computer, that admin-only page showed up asking for the user name/password...which is the page I posted above for your reference.

I hope that helps on the background history I experienced. Probably other members did the same thing...went into the blog section of the site. idk
  • Are there plans for having more than one Forum? The word on the selection bar that begins with "Blog" is now "Forums."
  • ZenyenZenyen Member
    edited June 2016
    Kyle. I'm running Chrome and I've gone through the trouble shooting steps and I'm still running into this issue.

At the bottom of the page I am losing the posts at the bottom. Also when I go to reply I have a very narrow window before the buttons for "Preview" "Save Draft" and "Post Comment" drop behind some sort of bottom half page (with the "Copyright @ 2016 Team Zenyatta... banner on it) and I can't access it.

It's like that "Copyright..." page jumps up in some view and covers up the lower 1/3 of my browser page. Is there a setting I need to update?

In this example from the Ziconic page there should be one more post under Lioness but as you can see it's covered up.

Also as you can see I can't get to my buttons or response box either. And now I can't see Kyle's response. ;) It's a cycle!!

I am on Chrome Version 51.0.2704.103 m and Windows 10 OS.

Example from this thread:

• You should probably post a screenshot if you can, @Zenyen. I do enough troubleshooting at my job (IT world, but I'm not a technical person) to know that screenshots ALWAYS help haha.
    edited June 2016
    I agree, a screenshot would be so helpful. We haven't been able to replicate any of the issues with Chrome that some members have reported. Can you also post the version of Chrome that you're using? Thank you!
  • Just an FYI @kylea, Zenyen edited her post because she can't create a new post on this thread.
  • That's exactly the same issue I'm having with Chrome which Zenyen screenshot. How do we find the version of Chrome that we are using? I'm able to post here because I'm using Firefox, but would rather use Chrome if the missing half pages can be replaced.
  • ZenyenZenyen Member
    @VA_in_CA
    Open Chrome
    Upper right corner you'll see three horizontal stack lines. Hover your mouse over it and it should say "Customize and control Google Chrome"
    Click it
    On the drop down find the words "Settings" Click to open
    On the left hand side of that page you'll see the word "About" Click it
    There it will tell you what version of Chrome you're on.
  • Thanks, Zenyen. Paniola Gal says she is a tech dinosaur. I guess that makes me a tech trilobite. hahaha
  • I began havingva problem a week or so before the upgrade that has driven me completely nuts. I thought itvwas my smartphone, though it didn't start until well after I got the phone. Thought it was just me until I saw something on a KMM post that mad me think otherwise.

My keyboard changed suddenly. It looks like letters just typed on a piece of white paper. There are no bordersvaround each key. It is primitive. Also, the space key is narrow. As a consequence you constantly hit the v, b, and n keys instead of space, as in bordersvaround, above. I saw the same v instead of spacevin a KMM post, that made me think it might not be my phone. This keyboard resists change, other than QWERTZ to QUERTY and back, and maybe language. I have completely changed myvkeyboard in phone settings, only to have it revert when i get here.

And, what is even worse, there is a bar above the keyboard where the IA makes three guesses at what you are actually trying to spell. Then it apparently decides youv couldn't have possibly meant what you typed, and replaces it with something of its own choosing. Unfortunately, the IA is not nearly as good as I am at forming sentences.or phrases that make any sort of sense. In fact, I have noticed it behaving like closed captioning, making inaccurate guesses based on what it thinks you meant. It is maddening. I spend more time correcting votes and phrases thatvi didn't getvwrong to begin with., than I do making new posts. And no, that is not a good thing, at least from my point of view.

I have tried to find some way to delete the top bar without success. I have tried to widen the spacebar, ditto.

Finally, auto-draftsaving is repeatedly saving, maybe three or four times per post.

Please tell me it isn't just me, and that there is hopevof a fix.
  • Everything is working fine for me (knock on wood) but I'm wondering if everyone is able to sign on since the changes. There seem to be people missing who usually post on a regular basis. It could be coincidence, just wondering.
  • tincuptincup Member
    Lizzie is using chrome..no problems
    I use firefox..no problems
    My phone defaults to chrome...no problems, except...wont stay signed in...big problem for using

Everything is working fine for me (knock on wood) but I'm wondering if everyone is able to sign on since the changes. There seem to be people missing who usually post on a regular basis. It could be coincidence, just wondering.

Can I PM you?
  • kylea, here is the version I am using of Chrome: 51.0.2704.103.m

There's a note under that which came up after a notice saying, "Checking for updates." The note says it is up to date. And the copyright date is 2016.

Hope the problem can be fixed. Sigh.

I began havingva problem a week or so before the upgrade that has driven me completely nuts. I thought itvwas my smartphone, though it didn't start until well after I got the phone. Thought it was just me until I saw something on a KMM post that mad me think otherwise.

My keyboard changed suddenly. It looks like letters just typed on a piece of white paper. There are no bordersvaround each key. It is primitive. Also, the space key is narrow. As a consequence you constantly hit the v, b, and n keys instead of space, as in bordersvaround, above. I saw the same v instead of spacevin a KMM post, that made me think it might not be my phone. This keyboard resists change, other than QWERTZ to QUERTY and back, and maybe language. I have completely changed myvkeyboard in phone settings, only to have it revert when i get here.

And, what is even worse, there is a bar above the keyboard where the IA makes three guesses at what you are actually trying to spell. Then it apparently decides youv couldn't have possibly meant what you typed, and replaces it with something of its own choosing. Unfortunately, the IA is not nearly as good as I am at forming sentences.or phrases that make any sort of sense. In fact, I have noticed it behaving like closed captioning, making inaccurate guesses based on what it thinks you meant. It is maddening. I spend more time correcting votes and phrases thatvi didn't getvwrong to begin with., than I do making new posts. And no, that is not a good thing, at least from my point of view.

I have tried to find some way to delete the top bar without success. I have tried to widen the spacebar, ditto.

Finally, auto-draftsaving is repeatedly saving, maybe three or four times per post.

Please tell me it isn't just me, and that there is hopevof a fix.

Hi @jnwisconsin, this sounds very odd. Has anyone else experienced anything similar? The fact that it started happened before the forum upgrade makes me suspect that the problem is not on our end. We didn't make any changes at all for about a month before the upgrade.
  • That sounds like a phone/browser issue to me, not anything related to the forum unless it ONLY happens on the forum. I've never encountered anything like that, but I also don't visit this forum on my phone very often because it's not particularly mobile friendly.
    Hi @Zenyen @VA_in_CA and others, I apologize about this ongoing issue with our forums and Chrome. I'm currently using the same version of Chrome and have been unable to recreate any of the problems posted here. It would be much easier to fix if I could!

We're still working on it, and it is helpful if you continue to keep us updated. You can always email forum@zenyatta.com
  • jaefeatheredjaefeathered Member
    edited June 2016
    Just as another data point, I'm also using Chrome version 51.0.2704.103.m and have not had any issues on my work desktop. I can check my home laptop tonight, but I typically use Firefox there.

EDIT: My work desktop is on Windows 7 and my home laptop is on Windows 10, if that helps too.
    edited June 2016
    I haven't had problems (so far) described by VA_in_CA and Zenyen but just for a comparative record, I use a PC, OS windows 8.1 (Classic Shell) and I have Chrome version: 51.0.2704.84 m but haven't updated it yet. Maybe I should hold off until the Chrome mystery where 2 members have issues with version 51.0.2704.103.m ...idk
  • ZenyenZenyen Member
    Okay I just ran a little test here from work ( I'm sorry I can't capture the screen because this is my work machine. )

I DID NOT have the issue I have at home.

I am running an older version of Chrome on this machine Version 51.0.2704.84 m

Also of note, this machine has the OS Windows 7. My home computer is OS Windows 10.