Forum Upgrades: Design, Questions, Comments

Hi everyone, I wanted to start this discussion as a place for questions and comments about our slightly updated interface (June 2016). Please stay on topic, and go to the troubleshooting thread for tech support.

There have been some comments about the change in the way that categories are displayed. I want to let everyone know that we will be creating some new categories and reorganizing the forum in the coming weeks. I will also create a tutorial for using categories.

Our goal is an organized forum that is easy for all of our members to navigate.

Comments

• Paniolo_GalPaniolo_Gal Member
    edited June 2016
    Question: Search for Discussion Titles
    Since we have had several duplicated discussion topics in the past, or postings placed in a general category that would best be done in a more appropriate existing discussion...will this upgraded interface allow for a search option for "Discussion Titles" as well?

We currenly LOVE the search window for the names, phrases within past postings using "quotes" in our current search window. This is a very helpful tool.
  • kyleakylea Administrator
    We would also love to have a better search engine, specifically allowing for the search of titles, but as I've mentioned before this is not simple and perhaps impossible for us to implement with our current system. I am continually looking into it.
  • Okay, no worries...thought I'd ask once again since this was a common inquiry by many other forum members. ;oD
  • Experimenting again...
    By accident...I noticed when I type in a colon :
    I get a drop down list:

:-1: flesh thumbs down

:+1: flesh thumbs up

:angry: yellow angry face

:anguished: yellow anguish face

:astonished: yellow astonished face

All of the above, to be really honest, I don't really care for...it's too cartoonish. And...see how funky and distracting these emojis look especially when they are situated close together!

image Since emojis in color are now being implemented as part of the new option of choices, ( I know everyone is tired hearing this)...I still prefer a simple graphic silhouette of a hand in black & white instead to convey "tone". Hopefully one day in the near future, there will be a better, "tasteful" looking group of emojis to select from for the forum members.

All in all, even though this forum layout is still evolving, we still have the best looking forum around-hands down! I appreciate kylea taking the time to continually improve our site and allowing us the opportunity to input our opinions and needs in this forum! Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
  • Thanks, kylea. We appreciate you.
    edited June 2016
    I @kylea!
    Sorry to pose another layout/design question...Page Settings
    But I noticed that the amount of postings per page have increased so the page number where the post earlier appeared is now different. Many of us reference a page number for the others to find an earlier posting in the discussion. etc, so is it possible to revert back to the original page setting to coincide with the pages before the upgrade?
  • That is going to be a bit of a problem, but my guess is that the new can't be made to coincide with the old, just because that kind of thing never seems to work out. lol
    edited June 2016
    VA_in_CA said:

That is going to be a bit of a problem, but my guess is that the new can't be made to coincide with the old, just because that kind of thing never seems to work out. lol

I'm referring to page settings. But remember when we went through our first upgrade/revamp of the forum I believe back in 2013-14? Kylea was able to revert back to the pre-revamp page settings on that first upgrade we had due to the same issue. I thought it wouldn't harm to ask her again this time. If it cannot be done, then at least we all know.

In other words...as an example: If the previous page setting was 50 postings per page and now it's set a 60 postings per page...it affects the page number. What kylea did in the past was change it back to pre-revamp page settings of 50 posting per page (I am just using this post/page as an example to clarify).
    Yes, this is possible. I just changed it to match the previous settings of 25 comments and discussions per page. Do things seem correct now?
  • ZenyenZenyen Member
    Kyle

I went to test and as you can see I get the same result. I can type about 8 lines before the buttons push down behind the "Copyright @2016" footer and disappear. :(

Guess I'll have to learn to be less wordy. ;)
    edited June 2016
    kylea said:

Yes, this is possible. I just changed it to match the previous settings of 25 comments and discussions per page. Do things seem correct now?

Phew! Thanks sooo sooo much @kylea. The main reason, I have a ton of past page references in Golden Girls and it helps to keep the page number in order prior to the upgrade settings.

I haven't had a chance to check if all things are back in order as I need to head out now...but appreciate the page setting revision/change. ❤

I'll check when I return later. Thanks Again kylea!
  • I presume you all know that many of our Forum Posts are cited on Google when you do research on topics that have been addressed in the Forum. This is especially true of citings from Golden Girls.
    edited June 2016
    VA_in_CA said:

I presume you all know that many of our Forum Posts are cited on Google when you do research on topics that have been addressed in the Forum. This is especially true of citings from Golden Girls.

Yes...@VA_in_CA, if you are addressing me on the above comment...I am fully aware of that. I've seen several of my own photos appear in Google. That's why it's important to copyright your own photos and if other references/photos are used in the postings, to credit the photographer and provide the source of the photo and reference the source of the information in each post/discussion. That's why previous page referencing was so important to keep intact at 25 comments/discussion per page in the new upgrade. I am very conscientious about making sure these Forum requirements are met. Not meant to offend anyone but, I hope others would also be diligent when posting images.

"Peace"

edited June 2016
    kylea said:

Okay! Got to check on a few recent postings in various discussions and they appear to be back in order.
    Thanks Again @kylea! ❤
    Zenyen said:

Kyle

I went to test and as you can see I get the same result. I can type about 8 lines before the buttons push down behind the "Copyright @2016" footer and disappear. :(

Hi @Zenyen,
    This issue should be discussed in the troubleshooting thread. The change I was referring to is the number of comments per page, so that referenced page numbers are still accurate.
  • Something goofy is going on with my interface pages. Type color changed to turquoise, the whole look of the pages changed. Did I do something funky?