Thoroughbred Stock Exchange (TBSX) - A Racing Syndicate

Some of you may have heard about TBSX around the forum. A couple of us have bought shares of horses through TBSX, and I figured this would be a good way to discuss the syndicate.

Here is some suggested reading if you want to know more about it:
Main TBSX Website - https://www.teamtbsx.com
Main Facebook Group - https://www.facebook.com/tbstockexchange/
Fans of Team TBSX Facebook Group - https://www.facebook.com/groups/1584367335213171/
About TBSX - http://tbstockexchange.com/Ownership Experience.htm
Why TBSX? - http://tbstockexchange.com/Pages/Why TBSX.htm

Articles:
Chat with Founders of Thoroughbred Stock Exchange - https://www.americasbestracing.net/lifestyle/2016-chat-founders-thoroughbred-stock-exchange
Our Experience with the Horse Ownership Experience through the Thoroughbred Stock Exchange - http://thorobros.com/2016/05/our-experience-with-the-horse-ownership-experience-through-the-thorougbred-stock-exchange/

I've seen single shares (equal to 1/1000 or .1%) of their horses go for between $12 and almost $300 a share, depending on the horse and where it will be racing. There are no ongoing monthly fees.

If you think it might be for you, PLEASE do your research before putting any of your money towards it. There are a not insignificant number of horses on TBSX who have subpar conformation, so be sure to get second and third opinions on them first. Also if there are vet reports available, pay attention to those and be sure to look up any terms you don't know. Look up their Equibase profiles and take a look at their speed figures. They might be a stakes winner out in North Dakota, but that doesn't always translate to stakes form on the East Coast or California. Make sure you also pay attention to who the horse is trained by, and look up their statistics on Equibase if you aren't familiar with them. If you're not sure about a horse (or even if you are!), I'd recommend asking other forum members here for first impressions.

Please also note that many of the ownership benefits only mean something if you can go see your horse race in person. It's also good to consider any money spent on TBSX as "lost money." Don't expect to make anything off of your horse's purse winnings.

Good luck everybody!

Comments

• I'm going to buy myself a birthday present. :-)
  • tincuptincup Member
    bigherbie said:

I'm going to buy myself a birthday present. :-)

Are you still thinking about the Mission Impazible colt?
  • LionessLioness Member
    edited June 2016
    Great idea for a thread! Exactly, in regard to the point on "lost money." As people have said, you don't go into the Thoroughbred racing industry and expect to make money; the same is true for all levels. You most likely won't make back your investment (which is why I caution the higher priced horses definitely without a lot of research, they have only been open for a year and will most likely get more high quality horses as the years go on), but it is fun for all racing lovers who want a taste of ownership!
  • ZenyenZenyen Member
    Pretty much what Lioness says, an opportunity like this gives a chance to experience the backside, the paddock and those fun perks of being an owner. I see the money as more a buy in to enjoy the experience than an investment with expected return from the horse his or her self. Because the Thoroughbred Industry is where you go to lose money not make it!

For that reason I'd suggest looking at horses who are running at tracks near enough to you so you can go and experience it all.
  • tincup said:

bigherbie said:

I'm going to buy myself a birthday present. :-)

Are you still thinking about the Mission Impazible colt?
    He was my first choice (love the grays) but has some issues. Also looked at Thedominator (Mad Flatter - Candycoated Dreams by Candy Ride) $100, then the other gray is Franklyn. Decisions, decisions...I know just enough to get into trouble. I'd be a terrible partner at an auction. :-)

• tincuptincup Member
    IDK...
    Golden miss has two other babies. Both got to the track with some success. Small success. The Storm cat looked to being going forward then stopped and might have issues. Looked to have talent.
    Mission implazible was a monster. Million dollar earner...love unbridled and dont buy the negatives
    Training at Saratoga with mid type works..37`s...I like him. A little steep for a first time dip in the pool, but I think will have some success.
  • jaefeatheredjaefeathered Member
    edited June 2016
    tincup said:

IDK...
    Golden miss has two other babies. Both got to the track with some success. Small success. The Storm cat looked to being going forward then stopped and might have issues. Looked to have talent.
    Mission implazible was a monster. Million dollar earner...love unbridled and dont buy the negatives
    Training at Saratoga with mid type works..37`s...I like him. A little steep for a first time dip in the pool, but I think will have some success.

Like I said in the Franklyn With a Y thread, my real concern is with Unbridled Mission's hock spavin. In case you're unfamiliar with spavins, here is the Wikipedia article on them: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bone_spavin

Some key quotes to take away from that article:
    "It is caused by osteoarthritis, and the degree of lameness that results can be serious enough to end a horse's competitive career."

"Initially, signs of bone spavin may include sporadic and vague hindlimb lameness...In many cases lameness worsens, becoming more obvious and consistent."

"Most horses cannot continue at a high-level of competition for long. However, many horses can continue happily for use as a trail or pleasure horse, or for light work."

His hind pasterns are also much shorter than his front, which is going to put a lot of stress on his ligaments. For the most expensive horse at TBSX, I'd expect a lot more from him and would definitely be looking elsewhere. Unbridled's Song just adds to my hesitancy around him.
  • So, might have done a dumb thing and bought several shares to the new horse Jingle Bells without a conformation (or even a simple body shot!). BUT the dam is a solid producer of winners (all 8 others to race have won, including a full brother) and the horse ran quite well last out. Also might have a soft spot for that name ;)

We also picked up a few shares to Unbridled Mission, for ourselves and one for my cousin's grad present. There are definitely some issues there, but I like his works, and I prefer Mission Impazible to basically every other son of Unbridled's Song. Ran for four years, and even though he got hurt in the Derby came back really nicely.

Gives my dad and I more excuses to go to Saratoga, too ;)
    edited June 2016
    Good luck! I'm honestly having a really hard time stopping myself from buying a share of Thirty Pepperonis right now. If he was on the East Coast, I'd definitely do it, but since he's in California I'd lose out on 95% of the benefits of being a shareholder. And he's not exactly cheap either.
  • EliRose said:

So, might have done a dumb thing and bought several shares to the new horse Jingle Bells without a conformation (or even a simple body shot!). BUT the dam is a solid producer of winners (all 8 others to race have won, including a full brother) and the horse ran quite well last out. Also might have a soft spot for that name ;)

We also picked up a few shares to Unbridled Mission, for ourselves and one for my cousin's grad present. There are definitely some issues there, but I like his works, and I prefer Mission Impazible to basically every other son of Unbridled's Song. Ran for four years, and even though he got hurt in the Derby came back really nicely.

FWIW, Unbridled Mission is owned in conjunction with Pocket Aces Racing. They seem to be a pretty well run outfit. I met one of their regular trainers who had good things to say about them. I doubt that they would have taken the horse on unless they thought he'd be a runner. You never know with horses, but you're probably OK. Enjoy! I'd love to get back into a partnership one of these days. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like TBSX has runners in my part of the world.
    edited June 2016
    Now that Divine Sunset has been officially retired, I'm looking for another horse. I have a few that I'm looking at, but I'm hesitating for a few reasons. I'm being even more cautious since my first attempt didn't go so well.

Thirty Pepperonis - I love this guy. I feel like his neck is a littlee shorter than I'd like, but he looks great to me otherwise and he's got some unbelievably fast workouts. My only reservation with him is that he's out in California and also costs $246 for a single share. If he was either in the Mid-Atlantic region or was under $100 a share, I would have definitely bought a share of him already. Right now I'm waiting on his vet report.

Franklyn With a Y - I love the breeding on this horse and I really think that Paddy O'Prado is going to end up being a great sire. Overall he looks nicely put together and it sounds like he is progressing well. I'm having a little hesitation because it looks like he's a little camped under in his front legs, which I'm worried could impact his long-term soundness.

Zodiac Kid - Love his conformation and I always liked Astrology. I wish he was a little deeper in the chest, but it could just be his pictures (which I think are from a little while ago). I just received an update on him this morning stating that he had bucked his shins last month, so I'm holding off on him for the time being.

Those are just my thoughts though. I was really hoping to own part of a filly, but I don't see any in the area that I love right now. I guess I'll keep an eye out.

Also I just found out that TBSX offers $50 credits to anyone who refers 5 people who then spent $50+ on their horses. If my posts and experiences got you interested, I'd appreciate it if you could mention that to TBSX, but please feel no pressure whatsoever to do that. (I guess just PM me for my real name - I just don't want it shown on a public forum.) If you want to support @Lioness as well, I'm sure she'd greatly appreciate it too!
  • I have two shares in Thirty Pepperonis.
  • I really wish you the best of luck with him! I think he definitely looks like a runner and could even be a stakes horse. Again, the only reason why I haven't pulled the trigger with him is because I'd miss out on most of the ownership benefits, with him being based out in California and all.
  • I really would really appreciate thoughts on the filly Sea Tales (Thunder Gulch - Asticou by A.P. Indy).
  • My primary concern with Sea Tales is that she didn't perform particularly well out in North Dakota and now she's being shipped to the Mid-Atlantic, which should have better competition. Her Equibase speed figure tops out at 53 and she was racing in claimers out there, while still not racing well. However, her trainer said recently that he is incredibly excited about her and that she's training like a superstar.

If it turns out that she clicks really well with Wayne, she could outrun her performances in North Dakota. I would definitely request a vet report though. It's a little hard to get an accurate read on her conformation because it doesn't look like she's standing squarely in either photo. If the photo of her facing to the left is most accurate, I'd be concerned with her being camped under. She looks reasonably well-balanced to me though and is definitely one of the better horses, conformation-wise, from North Dakota that they've bought. Her pedigree is absolutely the nicest one of all the North Dakota horses as well.

Some of the others from North Dakota are legitimately scary. Chachatowin is particularly awful.
  • edited June 2016
    For what it's worth, Sea Tales has siblings, two of which are legitimately decent race horses. Asticou's 2011 filly, Jane Peterson, has a record of 22-3-3-3 and $136K. She's mostly raced at the allowance and claiming levels, but has run (unplaced) in stakes company. She's still active and just ran at Belmont. Otter Cove, Asticou's 2010 gelded son, runs in claiming company, last a $5K, which he won. His record is 40-6-9-3, with earnings of $87K. Sea Tales' sister Sunset Trail was placed in 3 starts, but her 2011 son is a winner with a record of 24-2-5-3 and just under $43K in earnings, running at the allowance level.

So maybe there's something there that a good trainer can get out of her.

I'd sure like to know why they picked up a bunch of horses from North Dakota in the first place.

I have two shares in Thirty Pepperonis.

Congrats!
  • Thanks for finding that additional information @lauraj_cincinatti! That's definitely worth noting. I admit that I hadn't looked into how her siblings had performed, which is very useful to have.
  • I'm sorry to hear about Divine Sunset, and I hope she enjoys her retirement, pain-free (and I hope you get more updates about her whereabouts in the future; if she becomes a broodmare, it would be fun to progeny track). I did notice Franklyn's front legs, but he was a relatively cheap option near me; hopefully it doesn't limit him too much. Thirty Pepperonis is certainly tempting. Good conformation, fast, and with Doug O'Neill, looks like a stakes contender. However, I'm with you in the East.
  • I ended up asking for another conformation picture of Franklyn With a Y, mostly because I'm not entirely sure if he's not just standing funny in both of his side photos. If he is just standing funny, I think I'll take a piece of him. There is also supposedly a video of him and Zodiac Kid galloping together, so I asked for that as well. It might not be a big deal at all. Again, I'm just more cautious now that I already have a horse retired.
  • WezzieWezzie Member
    Love the El Corredor filly!
  • EliRose said:

So, might have done a dumb thing and bought several shares to the new horse Jingle Bells without a conformation (or even a simple body shot!). BUT the dam is a solid producer of winners (all 8 others to race have won, including a full brother) and the horse ran quite well last out. Also might have a soft spot for that name ;)

FWIW, Unbridled Mission is owned in conjunction with Pocket Aces Racing. They seem to be a pretty well run outfit. I met one of their regular trainers who had good things to say about them. I doubt that they would have taken the horse on unless they thought he'd be a runner. You never know with horses, but you're probably OK. Enjoy! I'd love to get back into a partnership one of these days. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like TBSX has runners in my part of the world.
    Apparently my dad knows an 8% owner of Unbridled Mission (who went in on him with Pocket Aces/TBSX), who has a decent stable of his own, and the guy is absolutely thrilled with the colt. Was talking about him before my dad even mentioned we'd purchased some shares. So fingers crossed he stays sound and healthy!
  • Thank you for the opinions on Sea Tales. I will admit API has been my love since I first saw him, and then was there at Gulfstream when he won the Breeder's Cup Classic. I never imagined being able to have even a small share of one of his granddaughters. I'll more than likely throw caution to the wind and get a share. For $51.00 it's one less dinner out, and it's a birthday gift to me!! :-)
  • KMMKMM Member
    I might invest too. Sounds like fun.
  • Thedominator (Mad Flatter - Candycoated Dreams by Candy Ride): $ burning a hole in my pocket. I really hate to ask again (this is the last time) - what do you think about him? I don't really know but he's cute...
  • KMMKMM Member
    Where do yo guys look?