The "Practice" Room (Experimenting with posting pictures and new forum options)

Since we now have an upgraded forum with new functions for our posting window. I thought this discussion would be good for those who want to test out these features before posting in your designated discussion. This is also great for many who want to practice posting images where we can have open discussions on issues and questions on the "how tos".
Here is a link to a tinypic tutorial from Posting A Picture (page 3):
http://forums.zenyatta.com/index.php?p=/discussion/312/posting-a-picture/p3

Comments

• kyleakylea Administrator
    edited June 2016
    With the new image uploader you can drag photos right into the text editor. No need for tinypic!

The rules about photo credits still apply. Remember to credit the source of your photos or they may be removed.
  • Paniolo_GalPaniolo_Gal Member
    edited June 2016
    Oh that easy picture posting option is soo great for so many of our members. I think I'll check this new option out! Great new option for sure! Thanks kylea!
    edited June 2016
    btw...which icon is the image loader and which is the text editor @kylea. Sorry to ask such a dumb question.
    The text editor is the entire toolset for writing comments. You can drop an image directly into the text box from your computer and it will upload. You can also click on the little "document" icon with the folded corner and "choose files."
  • @kylea, I must be blind or misunderstood something, but when I click on the folded corner icon...it doesn't have the option: "choose files", all it says is image URL.
    Hm, that happened to me when we first upgraded but relaunching my browser and emptying the cache solved the problem. What browser are you using now? If you drop an image into the text box, what happens?
  • Same for me.
    edited June 2016
    Well when I drag an image (jpg) from my computer picture files into the text box...this is what happens...this screen below shows up and the text box (posting window) closes up.

This is what appears instead
    Then...when I use the back arrow, the text box (posting window) appears again with nothing inside.
    Yes, that's not working properly. What browser and version?
    edited June 2016
    Hmm...odd. There's a huge gap between that racing horse image and my last sentence at the bottom: "Then...when I use the back arrow, the text box (posting window) appears again with nothing inside".

I have no space to account for this gap either.
    edited June 2016
    kylea said:

Yes, that's not working properly. What browser and version?

My OS is 8.1 using Chrome version 51.0.2704.84. However, right now, when I open a new chrome window to access settings...it's not activating settings to verify my version. I had to return to the Forum Upgrade Trouble Shooting discussion to access my current version I had posted in that discussion.

Update: I had a minor "pause" on my computer. I was now able to access the version of Chrome which is correctly listed above as Version 51.0.2704.84 m
  • I just posted a picture in Worthy Horse Rescues* using tinypic. It still works. I'll wait until you all get the new system working well and then get Paniola Gal to explain it to me. hahaha

*Picture is of Secret at 4 weeks. Wow. She has grown a lot.
    Ok, try now. It was a silly mistake on my end (admins were allowed to upload pictures but members weren't).
    edited June 2016
    @kylea Should I continue this issue in the Forum Upgrade-Trouble Shooting discussion?
    Only if it's not working now (you might want to quit and relaunch your browser before trying it out)
    edited June 2016
    Okay...just got your reply. I'll try again. Here goes!
    Image from Universal Symbols

Yes! I works! ★★★★
    edited June 2016
    @kylea...I found that it was easiest if I did a split screen to do the drag-n-drop method to get that racing horse image into the Forum text box (posting window). I hope other forum members know how to do a split screen on their monitor.
    Great! It should work for everyone now. Just be mindful of image sizes when uploading.
  • Oh...how do we determine the image sizing? Do other members who don't use image hosting sites have to resize their photos (smaller) on their computer first then drag-n-drop the photo?

Please advise @kylea. Thanks again for making posting images so much easier for other members!
  • OK, I tried and my computer completely froze and I couldn't get it back. Now I'm afraid to try. I will later.
    @louisecastello when you click the document icon what do you see?
    edited June 2016
    I think louisecastello might have stepped out for now.

Perhaps a tutorial with visual aids for split screens and how to drag-n-drop might help some of the members who may not know how. Perhaps a tutorial on how to take a screen shot may also help.

I'm heading out shortly for a contractor meeting, but maybe later I can add these tutorials in the Posting A Picture discussion when I have time upon my return. That is unless you have something already made up @kylea?

Please advise...As always we thank you for your hard work and your helpfulness!
    edited June 2016
    VA_in_CA said:

I just posted a picture in Worthy Horse Rescues* using tinypic. It still works. I'll wait until you all get the new system working well and then get Paniola Gal to explain it to me. hahaha
    This discussion would be great to ask questions on the new upgrades and also to practice the how-tos.
    LOL! @VA_in_CA ...You can't always rely on me to explain things! My workload is a bit much right now...but I'll try to later on to make some tutorials in that Picture A Picture discussion...that is unless @kylea has some already prepared as she was going to feature how to use these new options in one of her earlier postings.

We won't be creating tutorials for those things because the process is not the same for all members (different computers and operating systems). @Paniolo_Gal you're free to make tutorials, just make sure to specify what platform your instructions are for.
  • Okay...Will do! I hope others who use Apple can contribute tutorials as well.