Thirty Pepperonis (Tizway x Lady of Success, by Successful Appeal) - An Owner's Personal Adventure!

After a lot of internal deliberation, I decided to finally buy a share of another racehorse. This time it's a 2yo KY-bred colt named Thirty Pepperonis, by Tizway (who ran one of the fastest Met Miles in history) out of Lady of Success. He was vetted and purchased by Dennis O'Neill at the OBS April 2yos in Training Sale for $50k. Dennis O'Neill is well-known for buying I'll Have Another, Land Over Sea, Nyquist, and many others. He will be racing on the Southern California circuit (set to debut at the start of the Del Mart meet in a few weeks!) and is trained by Doug O'Neill.

His last few workouts have been extremely impressive as well, which makes me very excited for his future.

Thirty Pepperonis is the horse closest to the rail in the video below:

Also just for fun, here's a picture of him as a foal:

@Especially_Horses also owns shares of Thirty Pepperonis and will actually be able to visit him in person at some point. I'm very much looking forward to her sharing this thread and her experiences with us.

Comments

• Good luck! I've been thinking of getting a share of this boy also, even though he's not near me, and it's not what I should be spending money on. He has a great deal of potential based on his works.
  • KMMKMM Member
    What a dude!
  • Good luck! I've been thinking of getting a share of this boy also, even though he's not near me, and it's not what I should be spending money on. He has a great deal of potential based on his works.

I'm on the opposite side of the country, but I just couldn't help myself haha. I'm considering this the single reward for my promotion. I really have high hopes for him!
  • I'm far away also but have a share of pepperoni in my stable! :-) Let's all meet at Churchill Downs on the first Saturday in May 2017! =)
  • bigherbie said:

I'm far away also but have a share of pepperoni in my stable! :-) Let's all meet at Churchill Downs on the first Saturday in May 2017! =)

That's awesome! Feel free to share your experiences here as well. Now's the time to dream haha =D
  • Congrats! Happy to hear that you decided to purchase a share in him!
  • How exciting! I will add him to my Virtual Stable so I can keep up with him also! I'll be looking forward to all of your updates here. So cool!
  • jaefeatheredjaefeathered Member
    edited July 2016
    Doug O'Neill has said that he is expecting Thirty Pepperonis to make his debut at the beginning of the Del Mar meet. Assuming that he is competing in a MSW (which seems likely), the most likely race for him to debut is the 3rd at Del Mar on 7/17, which is a Maiden Special Weight for 2yos going 5 furlongs, for a purse of $63,000.

Based on his pedigree and his general build, Thirty Pepperonis looks like a sprinter/miler type to me, which could help him in a 2yo sprint race. However, considering that his father, Tizway, didn't start to peak until the age of 6, Thirty Pepperonis could also just start out slowly and get better and better over time.

EDIT: I also did some research on Thirty Pepperonis' half-siblings, all of which are fillies. He is the 6th foal out of his dam, Lady of Success, who has had 3 winners of 3 runners. Two of them did not break their maidens until midway through their 3yo seasons. His half-sister sired by Sidney's Candy broke her maiden upon first asking in a Maiden Claiming race in December of her 2yo year.

Considering that Thirty Pepperonis is sired by a late-maturing stallion, I'd guess that he won't break his maiden for a while. If he does, I think we should be excited considering that his family seems to only get better with age.
    edited July 2016
    Thirty Pepperonis had a workout today! Nice solid time too =D

Thirty Pepperonis (2-Year-Old Colt)

Date: July 6, 2016
    Track: LOS ALAMITOS
    Distance: Five furlongs
    Time: 1:00:40 Handily
    Track Condition: Fast
    Surface: Dirt

EDIT: It looks like he outworked all of Doug's other horses today at Los Al as well, which is great.
  • Doug O'Neill is officially targeting a race at Del Mar's opening weekend (this weekend!) for Thirty Pepperonis' debut. I'm so excited! I can't wait to watch him run.
  • Exciting! I was so close to buying a share in him but didn't account for the trading fee and backed out at the last second haha
  • Good luck to you and TP
  • edited July 2016

Doug O'Neill is officially targeting a race at Del Mar's opening weekend (this weekend!) for Thirty Pepperonis' debut. I'm so excited! I can't wait to watch him run.

Entries for the race on the 17th are due tomorrow, so we should know by Friday if he's in.
  • I'm 95% sure he'll be entered in the 3rd race on Sunday. I'll be sure to post the full list of entries for the race as soon as they come out =)
  • edited July 2016
    Oh, I did end up buying a share in him--couldn't help myself. I think I may get a couple shares each in Bidonme and Doyadance, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. They are local to me, but they're a different class of horse than TP.
  • That's awesome! I'm trying not to get my hopes up too high for his debut because I know his family is full of late bloomers. His workouts have just been so good lately that it's hard not to get excited.
    edited July 2016
    Just like I thought he might, Thirty Pepperonis had a short 3f blowout workout today at Del Mar. It's exactly what I was hoping to see, so fingers crossed for Sunday!

Thirty Pepperonis (2-Year-Old Colt)

Date: July 14, 2016
    Track: DEL MAR
    Distance: Three Furlongs
    Time: 36:20 Handily
    Track Condition: Fast
    Surface: Dirt
  • Nice little tune-up.
  • I believe the entries for Sunday should come out around 4-5pm today (EST), so I'll be on the lookout for those. I'm pretty sure that Thirty Pepperonis will be racing against at least one Desormeaux horse though. It looks like Straight Fire (owned by Jim Rome) is the most likely to be entered against him.
  • edited July 2016
    It's a nice MSW, so it's to be expected that it will attract a respectable entry. It will be interesting to see who gets the mount. I will be watching my mailbox too.

Unfortunately, I probably won't get to see the race live. It should be going off just about the time I'm starting my riding lesson.
  • tincuptincup Member
    You were right about the third on Sunday, but it's not listed as a msw. Equibase has TP in the five post for a 70,000 maiden claiming.
    Interesting to watch.
    That msw in the eighth is a doosey...
    That shows straight fire and lucky bode...yikes
  • The race was actually changed from a MSW to an $80k Maiden Claiming. One of my good friends who is more familiar with Maiden Claiming races in Southern California said that 2yos are hardly ever claimed out of those, although I can't say I'm ecstatic he's up for a tag at all.

July 17, 2016
    Race 3 - Del Mar

$80,000 Maiden Claiming for 2yos - 5f on the dirt

1 - Declassified - K. J. Desormeaux - J. K. Desormeaux
    2 - Vigorously Juan - F. H. Perez - S. Gonzalez
    3 - Cash Driven - S. Elliott - A. Sherman
    4 - Mr. Louis - F. Pratt - D. F. O'Neill
    5 - Thirty Pepperonis - M. Gutierrez - D. F. O'Neill
    6 - Supreme Giant - S. Gonzalez - S. Gonzalez
    7 - Crime Boss - A. Lezcano - J. K. Desormeaux
    8 - Cammy's Music - E. A. Maldonado - C. Dollase

I'm going to go do some research on his competition and see what he's up against. I'll report my findings a little later.
  • WezzieWezzie Member
    Third time starter Crime Boss is improving and 2nd time starter Mr. Louis is going to be tough.
  • Well, it's a first start. A win would be lovely of course, but my hope is that he comes out of the race well and gets an idea of what he is supposed to be doing. Anything else is gravy.
    edited July 2016
    From the inside post, outward:

Declassified - Keith isn't particularly great with first time starters, but Declassified is by Bodemeister whose offspring win their debuts 17% of the time. He's also got Kent in the irons, which means that he thinks Declassified is better in this spot than Crime Boss (his other horse in the race). However, his recent workout times leave something to be desired.

Vigorously Juan - I'm not terribly worried about this colt. His trainer has only won 4% of his races this year and his first-time starters have only won 3% of the time. He also has had some pretty lackluster workouts.

Cash Driven - He's got some pretty decent workouts and he's being trained by Art Sherman, who wins maiden claimers at a rate of 19%. His sire is Overdriven, who was an undefeated G2 Saratoga winner at 2 years old and earned a 100 Beyer in his debut.

Mr. Louis - He's one of two experienced horses in the field. He was a decent 3rd in his last race, which was a $56k Maiden Special Weight at Santa Anita. He gets blinkers in this race for the first time and has had some very good workouts recently.

Thirty Pepperonis - He's got some great workouts coming into the race, including a 3f blowout today. Doug wins with his maiden claimers 21% of the time and is always one of the top trainers on the Southern California circuit. However, his family is filled with late bloomers, so I wouldn't be surprised if it takes him a few tries for him to break his maiden considering how early he's debuting.

Supreme Giant Trainer has a 4% win percentage this year. His pedigree looks like he'll be best going longer and his dam has only one winner out of four starters. Not expecting this one to be the winner.

Crime Boss The only filly in the field, also trained by Keith Desormeaux. She is the most experienced horse in the field with two races under her belt, a MSW and a $75k Maiden Claimer at Santa Anita two weeks ago, in which she came in 2nd.

Cammy's Music I think he'll be Thirty Pepperonis' top competition in this race. He's by Maclean's Music, whose offspring have an unbelievable 38% first time winner percentage. His dam has produced two winners from two starters, and his trainer has the following win statistics: 24% first-time starters, 29% debut in maiden claiming, and 25% in maiden claiming races. This colt also has had some very sharp workouts recently.

In case you guys are interested in the PPs for the race, click on the Ultimate PPs link for Thirty Pepperonis here: http://www.tlore.net/trainers/oneill/public/brisnet.cfm

EDIT: Also here's a video of his workout from today: