Thirty Pepperonis (Tizway x Lady of Success, by Successful Appeal) - An Owner's Personal Adventure!

Comments

• Thanks for posting that @bigherbie! I had noticed that he didn't work out yesterday, where Wednesdays have been his typical workout days. I wonder if something was off yesterday or if Doug just decided to change his schedule around.

I took a look at the new condition book for Del Mar, but it doesn't have any great matches for Thirty Pepperonis (in my opinion). I don't think he's quite at the level of a MSW at Del Mar, especially with all of the top 2yos there right now, but there aren't many "high level" Maiden Claimers for 2yo colts either. There is one for $70-80k Maiden Claimers on August 5 (my birthday!), but it's only 5.5f, which I think is a little short for him. There's a MC for $60k-ish claimers (don't remember exactly) towards the end of the month, but it's also 5.5f. The slightly longer races are all for MSWs right now.

I guess we'll see how things go! I wouldn't mind if he took a little more time between his debut and his next race though to let him mature and let the races get longer.
  • I dunno. The fields in the $80K claimer in which he ran and in the MSW later that day were comparable, IMO. O'Neill had to put him somewhere--he had four 2-year-olds entered that day, two in each race.

Who knows--Del Mar may add a race or two for juveniles, just like they did before.
  • I dunno. The fields in the $80K claimer in which he ran and in the MSW later that day were comparable, IMO. O'Neill had to put him somewhere--he had four 2-year-olds entered that day, two in each race.

Who knows--Del Mar may add a race or two for juveniles, just like they did before.

You mean the MSW on 6/17 where the winner broke a 52 year old track record? Yeahhh...I love Thirty Pepperonis, but he's not capable of something like THAT at this point in his career.
  • edited July 2016
    Hadn't realized that. No, he wouldn't have been competitive with the winner. None of the other horses in that MSW were either. Chasing Aces smoked that field. But I think that TP would have been able to run with the other horses. By speed figures, he did better in his race than his barn mates did in the MSW, although they probably had stopped trying by the end of the race.
    ------------
    Upcoming possible races at Del Mar:
    Aug 5, 2yo MCL $80K-$70K, 5.5f, race 2
    Aug 6, 2yo MSW, 6.5f, race 4
    Aug 13, MSW, 5.5f, race 2
    Aug 21, MSW, 6f, race 2

Of these, I like the Aug 6 race best because of the distance.
  • The second place finisher in that record-breaking MSW was extremely impressive too - Straight Fire. Keith Desormeaux never has his horses fully cranked for their debuts, and I think his effort that day would have won virtually any other MSW.

If Thirty Pepperonis is capable of competing in MSW company, I'd like the August 6th race most too. I think that only gives him 3 weeks between races, but I don't have an accurate gauge on how well he's training right now.
  • Thirty Pepperonis is racing on my birthday this Friday in an $80k Maiden Claiming race at Del Mar! It's Race 4 and is set to go off at 8:30 PM EST. He'll be racing against Cammy's Music again.

Here's the field for the race:

1 - Dude's Dude - J. Theriot - B.W. Grayson
    2 - Dynamic Ruler - F. Prat - V. Belvoir
    3 - Californium - S. Elliot - A. Sherman
    4 - Rockin Rudy - J. Talamo - J. Brocklebank
    5 - Treadwell - K.J. Desormeaux - L. Powell
    6 - Thirty Pepperonis - M. Guttierez - D. O'Neill
    7 - Cammy's Music - E.A. Maldonado - C. Dollase

He's also adding blinkers in this race. Keep your fingers crossed for him!
  • Well, I would have preferred a longer race, but this is half-furlong longer that last time, which should help. I hope I'll get to see him live this time!
  • Well, I would have preferred a longer race, but this is half-furlong longer that last time, which should help. I hope I'll get to see him live this time!

Please post pictures if you do go see him! I would have preferred a longer race too, but I just don't think he's ready to compete at the MSW level right now and the only other race for him is at the end of August and is a $60k Maiden Claimer at the same distance (5.5f). Maybe the blinkers will help him out this time though.
  • edited August 2016
    Oh, sorry, I was unclear. I meant that I'll be able to see him in real time on TVG or Calracing. Last time I had to watch the replay. I do hope I will eventually get to see him in person, though.
  • Ahh that makes sense. I hope somebody else from the forum gets the chance to visit him in person at some point.

I wonder if Thirty Pepperonis will have another 3f blowout today. The timing seems about right, and it doesn't make sense for him to have a long workout when his race is on Friday.
  • I hope he does; I think they're good preparation. We will know this afternoon!
  • Hmm...doesn't look like he's going to have another workout before the race on Friday. I can't say I love that he's only had one workout between his last race and this one, especially since the last one wasn't anything special. I really hope those blinkers and the experience of his first race help.
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    has he worked....just not an official timed one...
  • caseycasey any racetrack with camera in handMember

Thanks for posting that @bigherbie! I had noticed that he didn't work out yesterday, where Wednesdays have been his typical workout days. I wonder if something was off yesterday or if Doug just decided to change his schedule around.

I took a look at the new condition book for Del Mar, but it doesn't have any great matches for Thirty Pepperonis (in my opinion). I don't think he's quite at the level of a MSW at Del Mar, especially with all of the top 2yos there right now, but there aren't many "high level" Maiden Claimers for 2yo colts either. There is one for $70-80k Maiden Claimers on August 5 (my birthday!), but it's only 5.5f, which I think is a little short for him. There's a MC for $60k-ish claimers (don't remember exactly) towards the end of the month, but it's also 5.5f. The slightly longer races are all for MSWs right now.

I guess we'll see how things go! I wouldn't mind if he took a little more time between his debut and his next race though to let him mature and let the races get longer.

well, I guess I can let you in on a little secret @jaefeathered, I'm the person who photographed and videoed Pepperonis workouts at Los Alamitos. I've been working with Team O'Neill for over a year doing his Los Al workouts, while my boss does the Santa Anita and Del Mar ones. Typically during the summer meet at DMR, Doug moves Los Al workouts to Mondays, however, I believe Pepperoni is still down at DMR, as I haven't videoed him since before the meet started.
  • casey said:

Thanks for posting that @bigherbie! I had noticed that he didn't work out yesterday, where Wednesdays have been his typical workout days. I wonder if something was off yesterday or if Doug just decided to change his schedule around.

well, I guess I can let you in on a little secret @jaefeathered, I'm the person who photographed and videoed Pepperonis workouts at Los Alamitos. I've been working with Team O'Neill for over a year doing his Los Al workouts, while my boss does the Santa Anita and Del Mar ones. Typically during the summer meet at DMR, Doug moves Los Al workouts to Mondays, however, I believe Pepperoni is still down at DMR, as I haven't videoed him since before the meet started.
    No way! I'd love if you could share your pictures and videos of him here when you get them =O Thanks!

Also @carolinarkansas, I'm sure he's galloped plenty since his last race, but I was really hoping for at least one more official workout before his race on Friday.
  • Thank you, Casey! Good to hear from you. I just framed my owner's certificate today! :3
  • bigherbie said:

Thank you, Casey! Good to hear from you. I just framed my owner's certificate today! :3

I'm hoping to frame mine with his first winner's circle photo! I was a little surprised at how long it took them to ship out the certificates though. I just got mine this week, which means it took about a month to get here.
  • Haven't received my certificate yet for Franklyn With a Y.
  • Thirty Pepperonis is listed as the 3/1 morning line second choice. Cammy's Music, the colt who finished 3rd in their last start a few weeks ago, is listed as the 5/2 favorite.

• Aaron Vercruysse really likes Thirty Pepperonis in his race tomorrow and made him his Day Maker at Del Mar!
  • He needs to buy himself a share or two.
  • Thank you, jaefeathered!! :3 I'll be watching and yelling for our boy.
  • I'm really afraid we're going to lose him to a claim tonight though. All the handicappers I've seen are making him their top choice in this race and saw a lot in his last race, even though he came in 4th.
  • KMMKMM Member
    I did not know he was running for tag. Price?
  • KMM said:

I did not know he was running for tag. Price?

He's in an $80k maiden claiming race in the 4th at Del Mar. Coming up in about 45 minutes.