Zenyatta's Waiting Room 2017

Comments

• Happy 2017 and let the official waiting begin!
  • When will she arrive? I am thinking March 31st.
  • I like your way of thinking. She will arrive in April.
    Wezzie said:

When will she arrive? I am thinking March 31st.

• I posted this over on the Foal Watch 2017 thread a little while ago:

My guess is [that Zenyatta will foal] sometime in early June. The Moss's said that she was first bred to Medaglia d'Oro on May 2nd, where they then said she would be checked in 15 days to see if she was in foal. They didn't announce that she was in foal until July 7th, though, which makes me think that she had to go back to him more than once to get in foal. Assuming they told us at the 15 day marker, that would mean that Zenyatta was last bred to Medaglia d'Oro on or around June 22nd.

Zenyatta's previous pregnancies took:
    - Cozmic One --- 341 days
    - Ziconic --- 344 days
    - Z Princess --- 347 days
    - War Front colt --- 355 days

That gives us an approximate range of May 29th-June 12th.

However, the horse gestation period can be anywhere from 320-370 days, with an average of 340. This puts the earliest likely date (again, assuming the pregnancy was announced 15 days after she was bred to Medaglia d'Oro) at May 8th, with the latest likely date at June 27th.
  • Then again, they could've waited just to make sure she didn't "slip" like the first time with Bernardini. Fingers crossed that's what happened. :)
  • Then again, they could've waited just to make sure she didn't "slip" like the first time with Bernardini. Fingers crossed that's what happened. :)

That's absolutely possible. If that's true, then the most likely range for Zenyatta to foal is April 8-April 22, based on her previous gestation periods. The widest range is then March 18-May 7, based on the minimum and maximum gestation periods for mares in general.
  • Glad to see this back on top, as I've wondered when she was due.
    Gotta say I've never understood the lateness of her foals and have never understood the thinking...
  • We know that Coz was late because she slipped the first one, and that got her on a late schedule for Zi and her filly. The poor little boy born on April 11 was overdue. So, I don't think the lateness is anything deliberate. Things happen.
  • jen_bloom said:

We know that Coz was late because she slipped the first one, and that got her on a late schedule for Zi and her filly. The poor little boy born on April 11 was overdue. So, I don't think the lateness is anything deliberate. Things happen.

Yes maybe...and a targeted mistake
    Give her enough time to get to March, February, January...go back not forward
    Drive's me nuts...
  • June! I can't wait until June, lol. In addition, I'm wondering if they might be waiting to announce Coz' retirement at the same time as the new baby, as a slight diversion. Just a thought.
  • Ugh....
    I mean really...argh hhhhh...roar...scream...tantrum....throwing things...
    Ugh...breath....breath...ahhhhh ...breath
  • ZenyenZenyen Member
    edited January 2017
    Just for the sake, she absorbed the first Bernardini embryo which is different than slipping a foal. Slipping a foal involves actual discharge of fetal tissue and can have repercussions for the mare's health. Re absorbing and embryo, the mare isn't ever aware of any loss or suffers any physical complications.
  • @Zenyen - What's your guess about when she'll foal? Do you think they waited longer to tell us, or do you think she had to be bred back to get in foal?

• @Zenyen - What's your guess about when she'll foal? Do you think they waited longer to tell us, or do you think she had to be bred back to get in foal?

I'm going to be a little blunt here, so folks of a more delicate disposition may want to turn away now.

Giving it one more warning. :)

Okay. I hinted at this back at the time but I think it would be in Zenyatta's best interest to be left alone until she safely has the foal on the ground. While I know Ann and Jerry like to be there, personally in my experience all the activity around her birthday and Team Z being there, also nothing but well intended and no doubt as professional as could be, was still a change to Zenyatta's routine.

Think back to what Zenyatta's diary talked about during her first pregnancy and the importance of giving the mare time to get used to the foaling barn, get into a routine and then maintain that routine through her foaling. Mares can stop labor if they feel threatened or if they simply feel concern about what's going on around them. Zenyatta is an amazing soul but she's still a mare with instincts and my gut tells me, she started labor that day we saw the picture of her with the deep V belly and then she stopped because of all the distraction around her, and that contributed to Z16's fetal distress.

With the best of intentions and even with Zenyatta probably enjoying all the attention, it was still a disruption to her routine, right at a time when she needed to be focused on foaling.

So I honestly hope that things are a lot more low key this year. Yeah, it will probably drive the 'pacing aunties' nuts not to get daily updates but (IMO) better the fans wear a hole in their carpets, than Zenyatta have a camera in her face every day.

Doing some quick number crunching and looking back over the blog. They said she was bred to MdO on May 2nd and scheduled to be checked in foal 15 days later. We heard nothing until July 7th when they announced she was in foal.

Working some average numbers, I don't think she took on the first cover, May 2nd. If she has a fairly average cycle she would have come back into season late May. Now, if she took on that cover, then the announcement July 7th would have been around the 36 day mark, which is usually when the pregnancy has settled and is no longer at high risk for being reabsorbed. But if they announced her at 15 days then the cover that took would have been a late June cover.

My gut tells me she took on the second cover and due to the tragedies, Team Z played it safe and didn't announce her as being in foal until that 36 day high risk period had passed. In which case she would be due late April, early May. If she didn't settle on the second breeding and they had to go back in June, then we're looking at late May, early June.

So I think a May foal and furthermore I think we're in for a bit of a wait, with maybe some 'arms length' updates but hopefully not the day to day pictures and "Foal Watch" like last year. Put your shoes back in the closet guys and enjoy the early year babies, we've got some exciting foaling to enjoy but we're going to be waiting for Zenyatta for awhile.
  • KMMKMM Member
    Thanks for your comments Zenyen. You are probably on target. Regular mares don't get the attention of Z, and go through quiet and regular routines. The broodmares that I cared for, had regular and quiet lives. And yes, they were not famous.
  • Thanks, Zenyen, I forgot that she absorbed rather than slipping the first embryo. Also, I agree so much about the distractions around her. It's really common even for human mothers who understand what's going on to have their labor stall out when they move from home to the hospital or birthing center, unless they are really far along. Those hormones are quite powerful and your body is trying to take care of you and ensure that you don't give birth in an unsafe place. How much more true that is for a horse, who is a prey animal.
  • I don't get it
    After all that's happened, when do you get hard?
    Is it impossible?
    Racing is done...queen is done...special is done...
    F....move forward
  • KMMKMM Member
    Don't understand your post tincup. Personally, the Queen has time to produce. I am not giving up...only two produce on track. K
  • @Zenyen I hope the Mosses are thinking like you about all the attention at foaling time. :/
  • Zenyen, what was the warning for? I didn't read anything but common sense. Am I missing something?
  • @Especially_Horses I'll PM you.
  • @Zenyen I hope the Mosses are thinking like you about all the attention at foaling time. :/

Whatever...
    There's no attention anymore
    Nobody cares
    She's a washout
    Now. .this isn't something I think...but it's something many do.
    My point?
    Nobody cares...stress is bul lshit
  • KMMKMM Member
    edited January 2017
    You sound very frustrated tonight tincup. Z is not a washout in my opinion, but in the long run, she could be. I guess like I do, you want Coz to have at least s test on turf or synthetic. K
    I am also going to guess that your frustrations are spilling over tonight with CC's problems. He holds, what you have eloquently described, a special place in your heart. Sleep on it, if you choose, before throwing away your expectations on a Z foal. K
  • I think we still care about her @tincup..I'm pretty sure you do and most of us here. She will always be special and can't help what her connections do. It is frustrating though. Very. :/
  • In some eyes she is and it drives me
    And yes...I'm more then frustrated...pissed is a low word and apt
    I'm pissed