Frosted

Frosted will be running in the Whitney on Saturday, August 6. He has drawn post position 4. He is the current favorite at 3-5. I thought Frosted deserved his own thread after his brilliant finish in the Met Mile.

The other entrants are as follows copied from Bloodhorse article on the Whitney:

Tri-Bone Stables' New York-bred Effinex, who won his second edition of the Suburban Handicap (gr. II) in his last start July 9, is the 7-2 second choice from the outside with Mike Smith in the irons. The 5-year-old son of Mineshaft waited last season to run later in the meet for trainer Jimmy Jerkens, and was fourth in the Woodward (gr. I) in early September before going on to win the Clark Handicap (gr. I) at the end of the year.

Eclipse Thoroughbred Partners is represented by 4-year-old Comfort, who returned from a freshening to win the July 4 State Dinner Stakes going 1 1/16 miles at Belmont Park for trainer Todd Pletcher. The Indian Charlie colt is 8-1 on the morning line from post 2 under John Velazquez. He has not lost his past three starts, dating back to last November and a Gulfstream Park West allowance score, and takes his first step into grade I waters.

Rounding out the field are grade II winner Upstart, third in the Met Mile (post 3, 10-1); grade I winner Noble Bird, who looks to rebound from a sixth in the Met Mile and who last year was given time after finishing ninth in this race (post 5, 10-1); and grade II winner El Kabeir, fourth in the June 18 Stephen Foster Handicap (gr. I) in his most recent start and seeking his first victory of 2016 (post 1, 20-1).

Comments

• You know. What I find incredibly ironic; is everyone was toting how Frosted and American Pharaoh's crop was the best 3 y.o. crop they'd ever seen, before the Kentucky Derby. Then, after American Pharaoh wins the Triple Crown, he's beat a bunch of "lackluster" horses. Good that Frosted & co are proving those hecklers dead wrong.
  • You got that right. If he only ever won the 2016 Met Mile, he proved that. But I'm sure glad he is going to continue racing.
  • You know. What I find incredibly ironic; is everyone was toting how Frosted and American Pharaoh's crop was the best 3 y.o. crop they'd ever seen, before the Kentucky Derby. Then, after American Pharaoh wins the Triple Crown, he's beat a bunch of "lackluster" horses. Good that Frosted & co are proving those hecklers dead wrong.

I really believed last year that there would be a different winner of Derby, Preakness, and Belmont because the crop was SO incredibly strong. I will readily admit that I had my doubts about American Pharoah, but damn he absolutely earned his Triple Crown.
  • LionessLioness Member
    edited August 2016
    I think crops can only be analyzed once they grow a bit and run against other crops. I saw American Pharoah in the Arkansas and picked him to win the Triple Crown right then, regardless of the rest of his crop (so much so that I dragged myself to the Belmont). It is funny how people really do criticize the quality of his crop now.

While a different horse won each Triple Crown race this year, I wouldn't consider this 3YO crop to be that special (I actually think it's rather weak and that was the issue there)...but I'm still just picturing Songbird running faster than the boys in the BC Juvenile last year. That girl is special. I might eat these words if these horses prove themselves later on, but it's just one of those things that we don't know until we let them develop and face other horses. But that was rather an unrelated side note/vent that I just had to get out about the crop this year haha...

Anyway, go Frosted! Always been a fan of this one.
  • Yeah, I think usually when a different horse wins each race, the crop is typically unusually strong or pretty weak.

I'm very interested to see Frosted's performance in the Whitney this weekend though. His Met Mile left me absolutely awestruck, and while I've liked him, I've never been a massive fan of his. He just absolutely freaked that day and I'm curious to see if he moves forward off of that effort or if he regresses a little. Maybe a flat mile is just his best distance?
  • Frosted will be running in the Whitney on Saturday, August 6. He has drawn post position 4. He is the current favorite at 3-5. I thought Frosted deserved his own thread after his brilliant finish in the Met Mile.

I'm happy to see you've started this thread for Frosted! I agree, he does deserve it. I had bet him to place in the Kentucky Derby last year. I saw him in the Jim Dandy last summer, where he came in 2nd to Texas Red, even after having lost a shoe at the break! Hope to see him on Saturday.......

• Can we look forward to one of your beautiful pictures of him?
  • SallyTSallyT Member
    edited August 2016
    I will certainly try! But in the mean time:

Here are his Jim Dandy shots from last year;
    BEFORE

DURING

AFTER

• Frosted"s Traver's 2015

Before

During (head to head with American Pharoah)

After

• Frosted sure looks like the best if he runs like he did in the Met Mile. Of course, you never know what Effinex is going to do. I am hoping for a good showing from Upstart.
  • Stunning photos of Frosted. Wish him the best.
  • It should be a great race. Thanks for sharing the Frosted pics., Sally. He is so handsome and the way he holds his head makes him so regal.
  • SallyTSallyT Member
    edited August 2016
    Frosted's 3 YO half sister Indulgent, just placed in a MSW at Saratoga-her second time out. She is by Bernardini. They're both out of Fast Cookie.
  • Fast cookie must pass on those fast genes.

Go indulgent.
  • I totally wish I owned their mama. Not just because of her foals. But because.... Fast Cookie! I loveth the name Fast Cookie!
  • Fast Cookie is by Deputy Minister out of Fleet Lady by Avenue of Flags.
  • Frosted....Hmph
    Kiaran is weird dude...Dont think he gets this thing.
    Frosted only needs to run at the 1 to the 1 turn and maybe some.
    But kiaran is so out of step...one must think he will f... this up
    .Ef..should be the benefactor of the the dopey Kiaran`s ego...but must admit, a horse does not freak without reason.
    Frosted will likely win... and , yet prove nothing.... as the tincup theory will always play....as it always had.
    now , How I play..???....There will be no redboarding.....I`ll let you know.
    I`ll beat the ugly grey ....I just need to deide how
    I`ll use noble to break the pace....
    Ef to follow the pace
    Now...I get Mike Smith...Believe it or not..he`s a very mediocre rider.....but he can see a race...
    So....Kiaran stupidity plus mike seeing that Noble will engage
    Eff....the winner
  • Woohoo....Frosted! Wow, wow, wow!
  • I was worried when he went to the front, but he proved a lot today (that the Met Mile wasn't an anomaly)!
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    he is turning into a monster
  • he is turning into a monster

I love it!

• carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember

he is turning into a monster

I love it!

me too!
  • For the record... lost a hundred
  • Oh no! I forgot Frosted's race was today!!! I'm so, so sad now! :'(

Glad he won, however.
  • he is turning into a monster