Thoroughbred Ownership Experiences

Comments

• Sounds like I might have more good news to share next week! Again, I'll let you know as soon as it's allowed to be public knowledge.
  • KMMKMM Member
    How much investment is necessary?
  • For me it was just $500, but some people invested up to $10,000.
  • Cistron had a workout today! I know John has been trying to get a dry track for this workout, so it was going to be either today or tomorrow. The weather out there has been absolutely awful lately and it's supposed to start raining again on Thursday.

Date: 1/17/2017
    Track: Santa Anita
    Distance: 4 Furlongs
    Time: 51.00
    Condition: Fast
    Surface: Dirt
    Notes: Handily
  • Lots of chatter about xbtv...
    I've gone over a few times, but I haven't yet made it a go to.
  • I enjoy XBTV's commentary more than TVG's actually. They also do a really good job of trying to post workouts of stakes horses at Santa Anita, which is really nice to have.

Also it looks like I won't have (non-Cistron related) good news to share this week after all. Disappointing, but I think it's for the best.
  • KMMKMM Member
    What kind of winnings do you guys participate in?
  • KMM said:

What kind of winnings do you guys participate in?

I'm not exactly sure what you mean here, but we get purse winnings and the proceeds from the sale of the horse on a pro rata basis if/when the horse wins money or is sold.
  • This isn't my ownership experience, but I thought it was a great read about what it's like being an owner in the game: http://racingdudes.com/racing-through-the-eyes-of-an-owner/
  • KMMKMM Member
    Jae, that is what I meant. Thanks. K
  • Cistron had another workout today! The rain has really been making it difficult for him to get regular workouts in, but I think it should be mostly over now.

Date: 1/25/2017
    Distance: 5 Furlongs
    Time: 1:00.60
  • jaefeatheredjaefeathered Member
    edited January 2017
    The plan right now is to run Cistron next Sunday at Santa Anita, so keep your eye out for the entries on Thursday!

Also, if you want to hear Billy Koch talk about the LRF crowdfunding effort and plans for it, listen to this podcast: http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/podcast/billy-koch/
  • Looks like another solid workout for Cistron. I expect all systems are go for Sunday at this point. =)

Date: 1/31/2017
    Distance: 6 Furlongs
    Time: 1:13.80
  • Nice work!
  • jaefeatheredjaefeathered Member
    edited February 2017
    Cistron was included on the Experimental Free Handicap for 2yos (of 2016) =D He's down at 106 lbs, but that's right there with Takaful, Warrior's Club, Big Gray Rocket, Tip Tap Tapizar, Straight Fire, and a couple of other very nice 3yos.

http://i.bloodhorse.com/Downloads/special-reports/pdfs/2016-experimental-free-handicap-two-year-olds-1206753140.pdf

EDIT: Also, if you guys would rather that I talk about Cistron and my other LRF horses on another thread, that's perfectly fine with me. I still want this thread to be open to anybody with their own ownership experiences, or ownership opportunities that are available.
  • I have no problem with your continuing to post on this thread. It makes perfect sense, and it does not prevent anyone else from posting here as well.
  • The Fair Grounds Racing Club I mentioned back on page 3 just had their first winner! Excitations (by Into Mischief) won the 3rd race at Fair Grounds today. I love that the Churchill Downs and Fair Grounds Racing Clubs have both had successful first horses (Warrior's Club and now Excitations, respectively). I really hope this gets more people involved in the sport at the ownership level.
  • My riding instructor and I are contemplating buying a 1/8 share of this guy, from Pocket Aces:

http://www.pocketacesracing.com/horse/oh-bred-girolamo-colt/

Lynda knows the breeder/trainer, Susan Anderson. She has been training for Pocket Aces for a while. She bred the colt and is keeping 10% of him for herself. She says he will be a late bloomer, but she likes him very much. Girolamo has been a pretty good sire so far. The dam is unraced, but the second dam has black type and is a black type producer.

I'll let you know if anything comes of it.
  • He sure is a strapping lad! Good luck to you :)
  • Definitely keep us in the loop on him! That's pretty cheap for a share like that too. Do you know how much the monthly/quarterly costs would be?
  • Cistron has officially been entered in the first race at Santa Anita on Sunday, February 5, which is a mile race on the turf. Post time is 11:00AM local time (2pm if you're on the East coast like me). =)

Santa Anita Park - Race 1 - ALLOWANCE OPTIONAL CLAIMING $75,000 - Purse $56,000

1 - Soglio - 3/C - R. Bejarano - 122 lbs - H. G. Motion
    2 - Oopper Wallah - 3/C - J. Talamo - 122 lbs - M. Chew
    3 - Ky. Colonel - 3/C - M. E. Smith - 122 lbs - R. E. Mandella
    4 - Cistron - 3/C - L. Contreras - 122 lbs - J. Sadler
    5 - Mizzen Me - 3/C - K. J. Desormeaux - 120 lbs - J. K. Desormeaux
    6 - Reign On (GB) - 3/G - F. Prat - 124 lbs - D. F. O'Neill

If you're interested, you can find PPs for the race here: http://www.tlore.net/trainers/oneill/public/brisnet.cfm (just click "Ultimate PPs" for Reign On - SA Race 1).
  • I like Girolamo. He has been a very useful sire.

Cistron has officially been entered in the first race at Santa Anita on Sunday, February 5, which is a mile race on the turf. Post time is 11:00AM local time (2pm if you're on the East coast like me). =)

Santa Anita Park - Race 1 - ALLOWANCE OPTIONAL CLAIMING $75,000 - Purse $56,000

1 - Soglio - 3/C - R. Bejarano - 122 lbs - H. G. Motion
    2 - Oopper Wallah - 3/C - J. Talamo - 122 lbs - M. Chew
    3 - Ky. Colonel - 3/C - M. E. Smith - 122 lbs - R. E. Mandella
    4 - Cistron - 3/C - L. Contreras - 122 lbs - J. Sadler
    5 - Mizzen Me - 3/C - K. J. Desormeaux - 120 lbs - J. K. Desormeaux
    6 - Reign On (GB) - 3/G - F. Prat - 124 lbs - D. F. O'Neill

If you're interested, you can find PPs for the race here: http://www.tlore.net/trainers/oneill/public/brisnet.cfm (just click "Ultimate PPs" for Reign On - SA Race 1).

Looks like you and the O'Neal horse. 3/1 last out in the Logan, just a tick behind the same O'Neal horse and price was right as he lost just by head for second to the same horse.
    Perhaps this time you'll get the advantage down the stretch as cistron will be running on a preferred turf condition. I'll be watching and playing, perhaps hammering if the pools reflect to the Logan.
    Good luck...I hope he wins.
    I also would hope the connections see fit to try again on dirt. He had a handy run in the past against some pretty good company.
  • Cistron actually came in 3rd by a nose behind Soglio, the Graham Motion horse, in the Eddie Logan. The O'Neill horse is new to the US, so I'm not sure how well he'll do. I'm hoping that Cistron can at least pull off third though against these horses.

I think John and Kosta do want to try Cistron on the dirt again at some point though. They seem pretty confident that he can run on any surface and both sprite and route. I'm happy with keeping him on the turf for now, but it's nice that he has options.