Thoroughbred Ownership Experiences

Comments

• jaefeatheredjaefeathered Member
    edited June 17
    Updates on my horses, since I haven't posted anything in a little while:

- Analyzeyurspending - taking the year off; supposedly there's a chance she could ship up to New York to be bred there in 2020, but there aren't any firm plans right now
    - "Animal Cracker" - he had a pretty crooked back leg when he was born, but it's straightened out a lot since then; he's also already got gray flecks throughout his entire coat so he's definitely going to be gray
    - Campaign Vows - she checked in foal to Blofeld on 5/3
    - "Cookie" - she looks awesome!
    - Participate - she checked in foal to Irish War Cry on 5/29
    - Willie the Whale - I saw him at Pimlico a few weeks ago and he looks great; hopefully we can get him in another race sometime soon
    - Trapped N My Mind - entered to run on Friday in a MSW at Laurel Park; I'm planning to take the afternoon off to go see her
    - Golden Spun Lad - he's apparently going through an awkward growth spurt right now haha; he should be gorgeous when he matures but he's a little gangly now
    - Alex's Heights - he made a much improved run in his last race, so we're hoping he continues the upward trend
    - Baysider - we're hoping to get him into a race at Laurel Park this weekend; fingers crossed!
    - Tonedaddy - hopefully we can get him into a race at Laurel Park sometime soon
    - Unnamed (2yo bay filly - Seville x Cat Bird, by Dance With Ravens) - she worked 3F in company with the Blame filly at Pimlico this morning
    - Unnamed (2yo bay filly - Goldencents x Champion Ride, by Candy Ride) - we're suggesting names for her now! I think we'll start voting on them next week
    - Unnamed (2yo bay filly - Blame x Star's Woman, by Elusive Quality) - I bought into her as well when she was posted on the website; she worked 3F in company with the Seville filly at Pimlico this morning (https://www.wasabistables.com/blamefilly)

Maiden Special Weight - Friday, June 21 at Laurel Park - Race 7 at 4:10pm Eastern - One Mile and One Sixteenth on Dirt - Purse $40,000

1 - Trapped N My Mind - Trevor McCarthy - Jesse Cruz - 120 lbs
    2 - Catwalk Whiz - Angel Cruz - D. Barr - 120 lbs
    3 - We Are Family - Victor Carrasco - Michele Nevin - 120 lbs
    4 - Mandette - Jevian Toledo - Kelly Rubley - 120 lbs
    5 - Our Star - Julio Correa - James Lawrence - 115 lbs
    6 - Gottaflathaveher - Ashley Castrenze - Jeremiah O'Dwyer - 120 lbs
    7 - Midnight Party - Sheldon Russell - James Jerkins - 120 lbs
    8 - Inspector Havers - Forest Boyce - Claude McCaughey - 120 lbs

Unfortunately it looks like Trevor McCarthy has been suspended, so we will probably have to find another jockey to ride Trapped. Fingers crossed that she can get it done this time!

• Trapped didn't get the best ride yesterday at Laurel, but she might also be better around one turn. TK and Jesse also think she'll like the turf, so she might try that at some point in the future as well.

Alex's Heights got the win at Indiana Grand tonight! He coasted home by about 5 lengths in the end and didn't get claimed, so he'll be around to race for us again.

Baysider has finally been entered to make his WVS debut for us tomorrow at Laurel Park. This will be his first turf attempt since his debut, so we're hoping he can show some of his old spark.

Maiden Claiming $16k-14k - Sunday, June 23 at Laurel Park - Race 7 at 4:10pm Eastern - Five and One Half Furlongs on Turf - Purse $22,000

1 - Im the Game - Felix Pinero - Bobby Lee Plummer - 119 lbs - 8/1
    2 - Kenilworth - Christian Santiago Reyes - Charles DeMario - 120 lbs - 30/1
    3 - Above It All - Jevian Toledo - Ann Merryman - 118 lbs - 10/1
    4 - I'm Flattered - Weston Hamilton - Timothy Keefe - 120 lbs - 6/1
    5 - Dusky - Tais Lyapustina - Leo Ambrogi - 113 lbs - 20/1
    6 - Top Hat Hustle - Victor Rosales - Wayne Potts - 111 lbs - 8/1
    7 - Top Mandate - Forest Boyce - Alexandra White - 118 lbs - 30/1
    8 - Baysider - Angel Cruz - Jesse Cruz - 126 lbs - 5/2
    9 - Cool Man Cletus - Kevin Gomez - Timothy Salzman - 120 lbs - 9/5
    10 - Executioners Terms - Antonio Lopez - Bobby Lee Plummer - 15/1

• Baysider won his race too!!! Wasabi actually had two winners in back-to-back races yesterday, with Ask the Gentleman winning race 6 as well. So in less than 24 hours, we had three winners (two of which I own interests in) with three different trainers! Plus, Baysider didn't even get claimed! He looked AWESOME coming from last to first to win by open lengths in the end.

We're currently voting on names for the Goldencents filly, so I should have an official name to share with you guys soon.
  • We got a recent update on our filly and a video.

We bring news from the farm - no news, which in the horse business is the best news you can receive.

“I think she’s thriving just right,” Logan Payne, the Broodmare Manager at Taylor Made Farm, told us about Colerful Chrome this week. All vital signs of our filly appear steady.

“She’s not underweight, not overweight, just perfect,” he said.

Payne knew her before she lost her eye in that fateful accident, and has been watching her recovery and growth closely since. Colerful Chrome has adapted extraordinarily well, he said, not spooking from her handlers, or showing other signs of awareness or confidence issues. In short: she acts like the other horses.

“If she had a fly mask on and you couldn’t see under there, you wouldn’t even know she was missing it,” he told us, while hauling straw in his truck.

Her resilience should help her later this year, as she’ll move on to a new phase after a leisurely summer. In early fall, Chrome will be sent to the breakers, most likely in Ocala, Florida, where she’ll learn to wear a saddle and start training to become a racehorse.

Until then, it’s just a lot of sunshine, and good ole Dr. Green, as Payne calls the Kentucky grass down on the farm (and a reason why she looks so much bigger and has a more refined muscle tone in recent photos). Some days, she spends up to twenty hours outside, munching away.

“She’s doing everything she’s supposed to be doing right now,” he said. “Stayin’ out of trouble.”

• Also, here's a pretty head shot of the Chrome filly out of Sixtyfivenorth. 65North was one of the mares the members could have chosen as the dam of their Chrome foal.

• She's cute! I love her head. Have you seen any other conformation shots of her @Especially_Horses ?

Tonedaddy won at Suffolk Downs for us today! He was 2nd across the line, but the horse who finished first ended up being disqualified for coming out about 10 paths and forcing Tonedaddy even wider. Tonedaddy had only finished 2nd by a head, so I think it was absolutely the right call (although I'm biased, of course!).

That's now three winners in four starts for me since last weekend! I went to go see Willie run at Laurel today, but he ended up not showing much. He finished 7th in the end. Ah well. Maybe he needs another drop in class.
  • bleubettybleubetty Member
    @Especially_Horses Thanks so much for the updates on Colerful Chrome, I was just thinking about her a couple of days ago. It's so encouraging to hear that she apparently has adapted to having only one eye.
    Hoping to hear good news when they send her to Florida for early training! <3

• - Willie the Whale - he's entered in another maiden claiming race at Laurel on Friday, this time at the $10k level
    - Trapped N My Mind - pointing towards another MSW towards the end of July at Laurel Park
    - Golden Spun Lad - he's now in Beth Worton's barn and progressing well towards a debut in a few months
    - Alex's Heights - he's been entered in a $5k claiming race at Ellis Park on Friday
    - Baysider - hoping to get him into another race soon!
    - Unnamed (2yo bay filly - Seville x Cat Bird, by Dance With Ravens) - she worked her first half-mile over the weekend! We're currently voting on names for her now, which include: Sevilla Sangria (my suggestion!), Dance With Cuervo, and Tricksy Tango
    - Coin Operated (2yo bay filly - Goldencents x Champion Ride, by Candy Ride) - she also worked her first half-mile over the weekend and finally has an official name! Her barn nickname is "Penny," so I may refer to her as that in the future
    - Sudden Brilliance (2yo bay filly - Blame x Star's Woman, by Elusive Quality) - she also worked her first half-mile over the weekend and she has an official name now too! We haven't decided on a nickname for her yet, but I'll let you know if we get one

I'm also rooting hard for Wasabi's new 2yo filly by Japan, who @KenHamilton1955 owns a stake in. Her official name is Wasabi Tsunami, which I absolutely love. She's absolutely gorgeous but sold out before I could make a decision on her.
  • I hope Sevilla Sangria wins.
  • sarinnesarinne Member

I hope Sevilla Sangria wins.

Me too! (and I love Sangria :tongue: ) What a busy owner you are, Jae!

Congrats @KenHamilton1955 on Wasabi Tsunami! Love that name the best, but again, I have my own Nami here.........hope your filly exceeds your expectations. My Nami definitely did! :)
  • - Willie the Whale - he finished dead last unfortunately, so he's getting the "ultimate equipment change" this week
    - Alex's Heights - also finished dead last in his race; he just never ran a step after the break
    - Sevilla Sangria (2yo bay filly - Seville x Cat Bird, by Dance With Ravens) - her name is official!!! I'm so excited that I can now say I named her! She worked in company with Wasabi Tsunami the other day and we think she may be ready to debut at the end of August

And then I got to see Analyzeyurspending, her colt "Animal Cracker," Campaign Vows, her filly "Cookie," and Participate at GreenMount yesterday. They all look fantastic!

I'm particularly happy with how Animal Cracker is doing now, as his ankle was pretty crooked when he was first born, but it's growing perfectly now. You'd never even know there had been an issue! All he needed was some stall rest and some corrective shoeing.

Cookie's mane is still sticking straight up, so she has a mohawk that's about 5 inches tall right now hahaha.

And then Participate keeps refusing to let Sabrina catch her whenever we come to visit. She said that Participate is definitely the "boss mare" of the herd at GreenMount, which I just love. Hopefully she passes on that attitude to her Irish War Cry baby!

• Reality Bites:

Well the People's Horse has had another setback and I think this one is going to prevent this filly from ever making it to the races. Sounds very familiar to the breathing issues of her granddam LTC. I know that Old Friends has always been an option for her. Also, she sure looks like she is turning grey to me (as mentioned previously by Rachel.)

Note to the Members.....

Overcoming the loss of her eye at such an early age, Colerful Chrome has since inspired us all with her grit and loving spirit.

She's now facing her latest - and unexpected - challenge. In recent days, her handlers at Taylor Made Farm noticed she was suffering labored breathing, and underwent a thorough examination by veterinarians. Inspecting the filly, the vets discovered she had an infection that was limiting her ability to breathe freely.

According to Dr. Ally Picken, of Rood and Riddle Equine Hospital, the inflamed areas were her right arytenoid cartilage,” an area located in the horse’s throat (see photo) and “a dorsal displacement of the soft palette,” which was also contributing to her breathing problem.

To clear the airways, the vets performed a temporary tracheostomy, a procedure that has opened her airways. Her breathing is back to normal.

“She’s comfortable with it,” Picken told us in an interview, adding that the horse is being treated with heavy doses of antibiotics and anti-inflammatories.

On the Farm, Colerful’s handlers are hoping the infection clears up and for the swelling to subside. “We just have to treat it for a while and wait and see how she does,” said Duncan Taylor, president of Taylor Made. “It’s unfortunate, but it’s part of the reality and she’s proven she's a fighter.”

"The question is whether the throat will function well enough to make her a racehorse," he added. "If this horse does race, the tracheotomy will be healed and it will be breathing like any other horse."

“She’s in good spirits,” said Laura Richard, Experience Director at Taylor Made, noting that Colerful Chrome will be visited by members this weekend as part of our People’s Horse tours on the Farm.

We’re in daily contact with the vets and the management team at Taylor Made, and will be updating the members as we learn more in the coming days and thereafter as soon as we receive reports about her progress.

As a community, we’re no strangers to overcoming hardships. We encourage all to send us any notes, questions and will wishes.

• Poor girl. Hopefully it heals up nicely and she can overcome all this.

She definitely seems to be graying now. Hmm.
  • George Adams of Housatonic Bloodstock got an awesome photo of Cookie the other day. I'm SO pleased with how she's looking so far.

• @Especially_Horses thanks for the update on Colerful Chrome. Dang, this little filly sure has had to overcome so much. I hope she heals and her breathing returns to normal. Some questions --- will they remove the tracheal apparatus after she heals? Can she be turned out with others during the healing process? Even if she never races, can she not be a broodmare when she is mature enough?
    She does appear to be changing colors, any comments from Taylor Made on the possibility that she is going to be a gray?
    Thanks again for keeping us posted on the progress of this tough little filly.
  • Cistron has been entered in his first Grade 1! He's one of the favorites in the G1 Bing Crosby this weekend at Del Mar. I have to admit though, I'm incredibly torn about how I want him to do on Saturday. I'm still really hoping that I can adopt him from Kosta once he retires, but I don't see that happening if he manages to pull off a Grade 1 win. Obviously I really want him to do well though, and to show everyone just how amazing he is.

G1 Bing Crosby Stakes - Saturday, June 27 at Del Mar - Race 8 at 8:30pm Eastern - Six Furlongs on Dirt - Purse $300,000

1 - Calexman - Geovanni Franco - Vladimir Cerin - 119 lbs - 15/1
    2 - Desert Law - Rafael Bejerano - Carla Gaines - 119 lbs - 12/1
    3 - Cistron - Victor Espinoza - John Sadler - 121 lbs - 5/2
    4 - Line Judge - Drayden Van Dyke - Peter Miller - 119 lbs - 8/1
    5 - Air Strike - Norberto Arroyo, Jr. - Phil D'Amato - 121 lbs - 4/1
    6 - Chief Cicatriz - Ruben Fuentes - Shawn Davis - 119 lbs - 12/1
    7 - Recruiting Ready - Flavien Prat - Stanley Hough - 119 lbs - 2/1
    8 - Jalen Journey - Mike Smith - Peter Miller - 119 lbs - 6/1
  • UPDATE:

Watch as they clean out and replace the trach. Can't help but wonder, if this filly didn't have the members behind her what would Taylor Made really be contemplating doing with her? So far her medical expenses have been extremely high and if the enlarged cartilage is a permanent situation that will not only compromise any racing career, but just everyday breathing.....well if she didn't have 100's of eyes on her what would they really want to do? Would they even consider surgery just to allow her to be a pasture ornament?

As we reported last week, our filly got a random infection in her throat, affecting her breathing.

Swelling had increased to such a degree that the vets enacted a procedure to implement a temporary tracheotomy to improve her breathing, and placed her on antibiotics to reduce the infection and swelling. (See the video of the procedure above.)

After a week of monitoring, the team at Taylor Made performed a thorough inspection today to check her progress. During the morning and late in the afternoon, Dr. Bart Barber used an endoscope to assess the infected areas, alongside Logan Payne, general manager at Taylor Made.

“The good news is the infection is gone,” Payne said.

The lingering result of the infection, however, is the arytenoid cartilage in the filly’s throat. While the swelling has gone down after a week of antibiotics, the cartilage is still larger than normal.

“It’s like a big grape in there,” Payne said.

The next step for the filly, Payne said, is to continue monitoring the area. If the cartilage does not subside on its own, Payne said, he and the vets would consult with local experts to see if any other procedures or surgical options could be explored to reduce the size.

“It’s really just a case of bad luck with this filly,” he said. “Very rare this thing happens. We just have to wait and see how she does and what course of action is appropriate.”

We'll be continuing to monitor her condition, and will update the members as soon as we learn more.

Reality Bites:

Well the People's Horse has had another setback and I think this one is going to prevent this filly from ever making it to the races. Sounds very familiar to the breathing issues of her granddam LTC. I know that Old Friends has always been an option for her. Also, she sure looks like she is turning grey to me (as mentioned previously by Rachel.)

Note to the Members.....

Overcoming the loss of her eye at such an early age, Colerful Chrome has since inspired us all with her grit and loving spirit.

She's now facing her latest - and unexpected - challenge. In recent days, her handlers at Taylor Made Farm noticed she was suffering labored breathing, and underwent a thorough examination by veterinarians. Inspecting the filly, the vets discovered she had an infection that was limiting her ability to breathe freely.

According to Dr. Ally Picken, of Rood and Riddle Equine Hospital, the inflamed areas were her right arytenoid cartilage,” an area located in the horse’s throat (see photo) and “a dorsal displacement of the soft palette,” which was also contributing to her breathing problem.

To clear the airways, the vets performed a temporary tracheostomy, a procedure that has opened her airways. Her breathing is back to normal.

“She’s comfortable with it,” Picken told us in an interview, adding that the horse is being treated with heavy doses of antibiotics and anti-inflammatories.

On the Farm, Colerful’s handlers are hoping the infection clears up and for the swelling to subside. “We just have to treat it for a while and wait and see how she does,” said Duncan Taylor, president of Taylor Made. “It’s unfortunate, but it’s part of the reality and she’s proven she's a fighter.”

"The question is whether the throat will function well enough to make her a racehorse," he added. "If this horse does race, the tracheotomy will be healed and it will be breathing like any other horse."

“She’s in good spirits,” said Laura Richard, Experience Director at Taylor Made, noting that Colerful Chrome will be visited by members this weekend as part of our People’s Horse tours on the Farm.

We’re in daily contact with the vets and the management team at Taylor Made, and will be updating the members as we learn more in the coming days and thereafter as soon as we receive reports about her progress.

As a community, we’re no strangers to overcoming hardships. We encourage all to send us any notes, questions and will wishes.

• Cistron has been entered in his first Grade 1! He's one of the favorites in the G1 Bing Crosby this weekend at Del Mar. I have to admit though, I'm incredibly torn about how I want him to do on Saturday. I'm still really hoping that I can adopt him from Kosta once he retires, but I don't see that happening if he manages to pull off a Grade 1 win. Obviously I really want him to do well though, and to show everyone just how amazing he is.

G1 Bing Crosby Stakes - Saturday, June 27 at Del Mar - Race 8 at 8:30pm Eastern - Six Furlongs on Dirt - Purse $300,000

1 - Calexman - Geovanni Franco - Vladimir Cerin - 119 lbs - 15/1
    2 - Desert Law - Rafael Bejerano - Carla Gaines - 119 lbs - 12/1
    3 - Cistron - Victor Espinoza - John Sadler - 121 lbs - 5/2
    4 - Line Judge - Drayden Van Dyke - Peter Miller - 119 lbs - 8/1
    5 - Air Strike - Norberto Arroyo, Jr. - Phil D'Amato - 121 lbs - 4/1
    6 - Chief Cicatriz - Ruben Fuentes - Shawn Davis - 119 lbs - 12/1
    7 - Recruiting Ready - Flavien Prat - Stanley Hough - 119 lbs - 2/1
    8 - Jalen Journey - Mike Smith - Peter Miller - 119 lbs - 6/1

He WON!!!!!

• KMMKMM Member
    Yay for Jae! He won't be a gelding now, unless he already is, B)
  • I'm SO so proud of him and I'm honestly still tearing up thinking about it. I really think I might have to go see him in person for the Breeders' Cup. I was really hoping to adopt him once he retired, but I don't think I'll have a shot at that now. I get the feeling he'll end up being shipped off to Japan at the end of his career now...
  • tincuptincup Member
    Good journey. Very good.
  • Congrats @jaefeathered, what an amazing journey you have had with Cistron.

• Congratulations to Cistron.

• Jess1357Jess1357 Member
    Match up between him and X Y Jet. Hmm I don't know. I'm rooting for him but Jet is really fast and amazing.
    So is this boy. In other news don't own a horse but I will once he retires. Justin's Quest was gelded and recently won his first race a couple weeks ago. He is a really fiesty boy that I named a couple years ago for Zayat stables.