Thoroughbred Ownership Experiences

Comments

• jaefeatheredjaefeathered Member
    edited February 2017
    What's awesome is that it really sounds like the idea is gaining momentum among a lot of the tracks. I've heard that D. Wayne Lukas is trying to get a racing club started at Oaklawn Park too.

So far I know there are racing clubs at the following tracks:

• Churchill Downs
    • Fair Grounds
    • Emerald Downs
    • Prairie Meadows
    • Arlington Park

There might be a few others, but I can't think of any off the top of my head.
  • My goal is to at least go to my local track, Arapahoe Park, even though it's just tiny and with a short season. Owning a share in a horse would be a dream come true. I'm enjoying following all of you that have been able to invest in horses. The best of luck to all of you! :)
  • KMMKMM Member
    edited February 2017
    I near am also near all of those tracks too, but also closest to Laurel. I watched a trainer friend work her horses at Bowie and Laurel in the dawn's light in mid 2000s. B)
  • I'll have to look into the club at Churchill Downs. That's a short drive for me.
  • Sounds like I might have good news to share by the end of the week! I'll let you guys know as soon as I can.
  • Sounds like I might have good news to share by the end of the week! I'll let you guys know as soon as I can.

Crossing fingers for you!
  • KMMKMM Member
    B)
  • Cistron had another workout today =) There's still a couple of weeks left until his race, so these are all just maintenance drills.

Cistron
    Date: 3/2/2017
    Track: Santa Anita
    Distance: 6 Furlongs
    Time: 1:14.60
    Condition: Fast
    Surface: Dirt
    Notes: Handily

We should be hearing back by tomorrow at the latest, so keep your fingers crossed! I'm excited about this one too.
  • Well, I did it. I sent in my check for a 1/8 share of the Girolamo OH-bred colt. He has a name now--Twilight King. He is jogging and galloping, and goes to the gate at least once a week.
  • Well, I did it. I sent in my check for a 1/8 share of the Girolamo OH-bred colt. He has a name now--Twilight King. He is jogging and galloping, and goes to the gate at least once a week.

Congratulations, Laura!
  • Congrats!!
  • Congratulations @lauraj_cincinnati!!! I just put him in my Equibase stable so I can follow him =) Please update us on how he's doing!
  • KMMKMM Member
    Hey! Congrats! My thoroughbred ownership offers were for babies I worked with, but could not afford! Best of luck!
  • Do you know which tracks Twilight King will be racing at? I don't think you had mentioned.
  • He's an Ohio-bred and Susan Anderson, his breeder and trainer, is based in Southwest Ohio. She normally runs her horses at Belterra and Turfway, both of which are only 20-25 minutes from my house. That's a big part of the reason I chose this particular horse. She also runs horses at other Ohio tracks and sometimes elsewhere. But I expect he will be locally based.

Where he ends up racing ultimately will depend on how much class he has, of course. I sure wouldn't complain if it turned out he could run at Keeneland and Churchill.

He's unlikely to start for some time, maybe not until he's three. Susan doesn't think he'll be an early bloomer. Supposedly he is training well, though.
  • That's awesome he'll be racing so close to your house! I really hope you end up in the winner's circle with him. I'll definitely be rooting for you guys. Again, please keep us updated on his progress. I'm always interested to know more about the training process from another point of view.
  • We get an update every Sunday. If there is anything interesting to relate, I'll pass it on. :-)
  • Cistron had another work today, which is his final work before the Pasadena Stakes next Sunday. I think it'll be a tough field, but I have hope that Cistron will do us proud.

Cistron
    Date: 3/11/2017
    Track: Santa Anita
    Distance: 6 Furlongs
    Time: 1:13.80
    Condition: Fast
    Surface: Dirt
    Notes: Handily

Also we're still waiting to get the official word back about our next horse, but it should be really soon. You could probably figure out who it is with a little research, as an article just came out recently about it (though a little early, since LRF hasn't actually signed). I'm very excited about this one though ;)
  • Update on Twilight King (Pocket Aces Racing Girolamo colt):

"Twilight King continues his routine of jogging 6 furlongs and galloping 1 mile. He continues to do extremely well and is progressing nicely. He is going to the gate a couple times a week and always handles it like a pro. They'll continue this regiment for a few more weeks as they build his foundation and then start a bit of speed work. They love his attitude and mentality on the track and around the barn. He is still on night turn out with one other colt."

Video of him galloping:

• He looks great! Where is that he's training?
  • I think he's at Margaux Farm, but I'm not 100% sure. He was there not long ago.
  • Cistron has been officially entered in the $75,000 Pasadena Stakes at Santa Anita Park on Sunday, March 19!

Santa Anita - 3/19/2017 - Race 8

Post Time: 7:00 PM
    Race Type: Stakes
    Purse: $75,000
    Distance: One Mile
    Surface: Turf
    Desc: Three-Year-Olds

1 - Big Sky Logan - C. Nakatani - V. Cerin - 120 lbs
    2 - Taxman's Quest - F. Prat - R. Mandella - 120 lbs
    3 - Ritzy A. P. - V. Espinoza - D. Blacker - 120 lbs
    4 - Ky. Colonel - M. Smith - R. Mandella - 120 lbs
    5 - Taco - J. Rios - E. Loza - 124 lbs
    6 - Cistron - T. Baze - J. Sadler - 122 lbs
    7 - Monster Man - R. Bejarano - S. Hansen - 120 lbs
    8 - Conquest Farenheit - N. Arroyo - P. Miller - 120 lbs
    9 - Zakaroff - J. Talamo - S. Specht - 124 lbs
    10 - Bird is the Word - K. Desormeaux - G. F. Almeida - 120 lbs
  • I really wish I could have gone to Laurel's Fantasy Ownership Day yesterday, but didn't have the chance. Oh well...Maybe next year. Sounds like it was a ton of fun though, and the benefits extend to the end of this year.

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/the-biz/fantasy-ownership-day-attracts-incredible-300-participants-laurel/#.WM6aZgkDnB4.twitter

Today's the day for Cistron's race though! I'm so nervous haha. I think he's got a chance to win for sure, but Conquest Farenheit is going to be really tough in this spot and there's a lot of speed signed on. I don't think it will be an issue for Cistron to sit behind horses though, so he might have to show off a new dimension here.
  • Cistron was a solid third in the Pasadena just now, to Conquest Farenheit who has been running very impressively lately in Southern California. We'll get them next time!