Thoroughbred Ownership Experiences

Comments

• Congrats to Cistron on a strong third place finish. He looked very good.

Twilight King still continues to jog 6f and gallop a mile every day. He's got another 4-6 weeks of that before he starts his speed work. I'm hoping to get down to Margaux Farm to visit him soon
  • You're little buddy paid me again...
    I've got two wins with cistron since you bought him....love his races, always competitive....always pay
    The eight was an easy choice.....he was just too strong and moving forward....Peter has his horses in shape....cistron ran into a wild animal looking for juice.
    You're horse ran great.
  • jaefeatheredjaefeathered Member
    edited March 2017
    In case you guys missed Cistron's race earlier, I have it here:

The final time was 1:33.58, which is great. I really think Cistron took another step forward today, so I'm hoping Conquest Farenheit's Beyer comes back huge haha.

EDIT: Also I found these great pictures of Cistron in the post parade on Twitter.

• Yay!
  • Stakes placed! Nice job.
  • Yeah, it's awesome because he's technically multiple stakes placed now, between the Eddie Logan and the Pasadena =) I love seeing that note on his Equibase profile. The horses who finished in front of him are top notch too. I expect Conquest Farenheit to be a multiple graded stakes winner, and Taco was previously undefeated in four turf starts before this.

Also it sounds like we really should finally be signing for that second horse this week haha. It's taken a lot longer than we thought it would, but again, I'm very excited about this prospect. I will let you know as soon as I get official word.
  • I thought this was a wonderful article about a woman who dipped her toe into racehorse ownership through the Churchill Downs Racing Club and has now been part of several other racing syndicates. She says, "I'm having the time of my life."

https://www.ladyandthetrack.com/news/17860/hot-dogs-hip-numbers-one-womans-journey-racehorse-ownership.html

It really is exhilarating when you own a piece of a racehorse, even if it's only a tiny share. Early this week, I was still on a high from Cistron's race on Sunday, despite the fact that he didn't win. I'm just having an absolute blast with all of this.
  • Any news on LRF's next purchase?
  • The purchase agreement is out for signatures right now (there are several owners involved now), so it should be any day now. I can tell you that it's for a promising 3yo filly based on the East Coast though =)
  • The East Coast..that's better for you right?
  • It is! I'm near the DC area, so that's one of many reasons why I'm so excited about her haha. I could at least make a trip to go visit her, whereas I can't really afford to do that with Cistron.

As soon as I get word though, I'll let you guys know. I'm just as anxious to hear back about her.
  • When do you think there will be a new offering from LRF?
  • You mean for the next crowdfunding opportunity? I honestly don't know. It's not 100% certain that LRF is going to do it every year, or even every few years, but I do know that they really want to do more. If they do one for 2018, we'll probably get word around late summer or early fall. I'll be doing it again for sure though.

As for their traditional 5% ownership package, LRF actually has two open 2yo partnerships right now. The first is for Scrambled (Tapit x Egg Drop, by Alphabet Soup) and the second is for Point Guard (Concord Point x Jivin', by Grand Reward).
  • Scrambled is very interesting
  • If I had the money, I would absolutely be buying into Scrambled. He's a great looking horse and has a brilliant pedigree to boot.
  • But not for $500, I'm sure, lol. What is the buy-in experience for Scrambled?

If I had the money, I would absolutely be buying into Scrambled. He's a great looking horse and has a brilliant pedigree to boot.

• But not for $500, I'm sure, lol. What is the buy-in experience for Scrambled?

If I had the money, I would absolutely be buying into Scrambled. He's a great looking horse and has a brilliant pedigree to boot.

Check out the egg drop thread just below. Some info there
  • I guarantee that Scrambled is at least $10k for a 5% share (he was a $200k purchase), plus quarterly training/upkeep costs. That isn't exactly cheap xD
  • Ok, just checked out the Egg Drop thread. Not affordable for me, or I'll be the one with scrambled finances.
  • Hence why I'm sticking with stuff like LRF's crowdfunding partnership ;) They've been buying proven winners too, which is tough to find for a reasonable cost anywhere else.
  • edited March 2017
    Update on Twilight King (Girolamo-Twilight Valley, by Forest Camp)--He's still doing what he was doing last week:

"Twilight King is jogging 6 furlongs and galloping a steady mile daily. He's doing extremely well. He's very well balanced on the track and handling everything very nicely. He will continue on this regimen for the time being as we build up his fitness and foundation. Dermott [at Margaux Farm] is very pleased with his progress at this point. He is on night turnout with another 2YO colt."

I plan to go visit him sometime soon, maybe this week. I'm told he likes carrots and peppermints.

BTW, if anyone was involved with The Dominator (now Our Dominator) through TBSX, he is now at the training center, and updates and video are being posted on his Facebook page, linked above. I'm really sorry that I no longer "own" a share of him, but I plan to follow him nonetheless. His connections seem like decent people. He's also very pretty!
  • Neat! Take pictures if/when you do go to visit him. I'd love to see them.
  • The deal finally closed!!! I'm thrilled to officially share with you guys that I now own a share of the awesome 3yo filly Noble Freud, who is by Freud out of the brilliant broodmare, Noble Fire. This makes her a New York-bred half-sister to champion female sprinter La Verdad, graded stakes winner Hot City Girl, and stakes winner N. F.'s Destiny.

She broke her maiden on debut in impressive fashion at Oaklawn Park by six lengths, which got a lot of people in the industry interested in buying a stake in her. Her original owner (Xpress Thoroughbreds, who stayed on for a minority interest) sold a majority interest to a new partnership, which includes Sol Kumin's Head of Plains Partners, Michael Kisber, Taylor Made's Medallion Racing, Ten Strike Racing, and the Little Red Feather crowdfunding partnership.

You might know Sol Kumin in particular as the owner or partial owner of horses like Lady Eli, Wavell Avenue, Exaggerator, Paulina's Love, My Man Sam, Slumber, and Stallwalkin' Dude.

Noble Freud has since moved to Chad Brown's barn up at Belmont Park and will be based primarily in New York and Florida for the rest of her career. Since moving to Belmont, she's had two workouts. One was last Tuesday, where she went four furlongs in 48.75 (ranked 4/30) and she worked four furlongs again today in 49.32 (ranked 4/32).

So yeah, I'm crazy excited about her and we're definitely thinking big things for her future. =) I don't have a picture of her right now but I'll post one when I get home later tonight.

Here is an article discussing the deal, which also includes a link to her debut at Oaklawn Park on February 16th: http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/new-partners-unite-for-noble-freud/
  • Well done!!! Congrats!