Thoroughbred Ownership Experiences

Comments

• VA_in_CAVA_in_CA Member
    edited April 2017
    I gather from a quick skimming that this thread is mostly for active race horses, but if you'd like to own a former race horse here's an opportunity. haha. I don't know where else to put this. The title of this thread or discussion is Thoroughbred Ownership Experiences, and this does offer that opportunity. So I'll post it here and maybe I'll start a new thread as well. Here goes:

Posting this for a friend from Mea Ola's Place. Hope someone here can help.

"Two TB stallions (aged) need a rescue home. MOP is full and especially for stallions. They are "Epic Honor" and "Half Term". If you can share with your TB contacts it would be great. The ranch they are on closed escrow and the boys need to leave ASAP. Old race injuries so pasture puffs only."

Epic Honor, foaled in 1996, has in his first three generations of ancestry Danzig, Secretariat, and Northern Dancer, twice. Further back, he also has Man O' War.

Half Term, foaled in 1990, has Mr. Prospector as his sire, and Northern Dancer as his damsire. He also has Nashua in his first three generations of ancestry. He too has Man O' War further back, and Count Fleet as well.

Both deserve respect and a safe retirement. If you know of some place that can take them, let me know here, and I will pass the word on to my friend at MOP. Thanks.

Please share with your TB networks.
  • Surprise! Cistron arrived at Oaklawn Park this morning =) He's going to be entered in the $150,000 Northern Spur on Saturday, which is a mile and a sixteenth on the dirt.

Neat tidbit. Moe Candy is out of Spooky Minister. Spooky Minister and Moe Candy (then a baby) were Zenyatta and Cozmic One's first paddock mates when they were babies.
  • jaefeatheredjaefeathered Member
    edited April 2017
    Zenyen said:

Surprise! Cistron arrived at Oaklawn Park this morning =) He's going to be entered in the $150,000 Northern Spur on Saturday, which is a mile and a sixteenth on the dirt.

Neat tidbit. Moe Candy is out of Spooky Minister. Spooky Minister and Moe Candy (then a baby) were Zenyatta and Cozmic One's first paddock mates when they were babies.
    I actually did know that! I always liked Moe Candy. =)

Also the official entries are out for the Northern Spur. Cistron drew the rail this time.

Oaklawn Park - 4/15/2017 - Race 8 (5:33 PM)
    $150,000 Northern Spur Stakes - 1 1/16 miles on dirt - 3 year olds

1 - Cistron - T. Baze - J. Sadler - 117 lbs
    2 - Colonelsdarktemper - J. Court - W. Fires - 115 lbs
    3 - Warrior's Club - J. Castellano - D. W. Lukas - 119 lbs
    4 - Balandeen - K. Desormeaux - C. Hartman - 115 lbs
    5 - Love That Lute - M. Smith - J. Van Berg - 119 lbs
    6 - Jerrid - R. Santana - S. Young - 115 lbs
    7 - Total Tap - L. Contreras - S. Asmussen - 117 lbs
  • The morning line odds came out, and Cistron was made the 2/1 favorite, with Warrior's Club at 3/1. What I think is just incredible is that anyone could have bought into either horse for just $500. I love that the guys at the top are helping people at the bottom get into the ownership game like this. If we can't get there on Saturday with Cistron, I really hope that Warrior's Club can win for all his owners in the Churchill Downs Racing Club.
  • Awesome! =)
  • KMMKMM Member
    Fun!
  • Here is a video of him galloping yesterday, and a picture of him right before his bath this morning:

We all think he should be able to handle the surface switch just fine. He gallops and works over the dirt very well, although he does have some pretty turfy-looking knee action going on. If he can transfer his form from the turf, I think he'll do very well tomorrow. If not, there are plenty of turf races back home for him to go after.
  • Jae, he is really a nice looking horse. Best of Luck tomorrow!
  • Where did my price go? ;)
    I remember talking about his nice dirt form earlier on and have liked his recent work. I fully expected to play him with some others, but was hoping his m/l would be reflective of his ship and recent grass races. Oh well, maybe the east coasters will play others.
    I certainly think it speaks well of cistron that he was included in this trip with Stellar Wind.
    Fun note
    Decorated soldier used this to move on to the Peter pan
    Hoping for a big race...Lots of luck.

• Thanks guys! I do think that another horse (probably Warrior's Club) will be the favorite by post time. A lot of handicappers have been questioning the switch to dirt haha. I can't really go into it too much, but it's a good sign. With any luck, we'll prove the doubters wrong tomorrow. =)
  • Noble Freud worked another easy half-mile this morning at Belmont. I've been so focused on Cistron lately that I completely forgot she was supposed to be working again this weekend xD She'll make her racing debut for us soon.

Noble Freud (3-Year-Old Filly)

Date: April 15, 2017
    Track: Belmont Park
    Distance: Four Furlongs
    Time: 50:00
    Condition: Fast
    Surface: Dirt training
    Notes: Breezing
  • tincuptincup Member
    edited April 2017
    A
    Oops..
  • HE WON!!! I own a stakes winner!!!

Cistron actually wasn't even supposed to be entered in this race though. He was going to go to a turf stakes next in a few weeks, but he was training SO unbelievably well that we just had to send him to Oaklawn. =)
  • Hehehe
  • KMMKMM Member
    <3
  • Happy Dance for you
  • Congrats!!
  • <3 Congratulations jaefeathered and Cistron!!!!
  • jaefeatheredjaefeathered Member
    edited April 2017
    Thanks guys! =D I could not be prouder of how he did today. We'll have to see where he goes next! Winning a stakes on dirt opens up a ton of options for him now.

EDIT: http://www.drf.com/news/cistron-shows-he-can-do-dirt-well-turf-northern-spur
  • Congrats! Graded stakes next, maybe?
  • No clue yet! Right now we're just going to enjoy the win and see how he comes out of the race. He's just been getting better and better though, so I wouldn't be surprised if there's a graded stakes in his future =)
  • You might being seeing that little horse of yours soon.
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    he looked amazing...congrats to him and to you too...Jae
  • Congrats @jaefeathered , what an amazing experience for you! I watched the race, he is impressive and he's good looking, too! Love the look in his eyes and the blaze. I saw the pic of your filly --- she's a looker, too!