Faversham (Lucky Pulpit x Love the Chase) Full Brother to California Chrome

Comments

• As fate would have it, Lucky Pulpit got a winner out of the race Faversham was scratched from anyway. Cono, Lucky Pulpit x Cashmere, won nicely.
  • As fate would have it, Lucky Pulpit got a winner out of the race Faversham was scratched from anyway. Cono, Lucky Pulpit x Cashmere, won nicely.

I have put a short article from the DRF about him in the 2017 Two-Year Old Racing discussion.
  • Appreciate it, thank you.

As fate would have it, Lucky Pulpit got a winner out of the race Faversham was scratched from anyway. Cono, Lucky Pulpit x Cashmere, won nicely.

I have put a short article from the DRF about him in the 2017 Two-Year Old Racing discussion.
  • KatyKaty Member

Horse Workout Notification
    June 17, 2017

Oldbelbottoms (3-Year-Old Colt)

Date: June 17, 2017
    Track: LOS ALAMITOS
    Distance: Five Furlongs
    Time: 1.04:60 Handily
    Track Condition: Fast
    Surface: Dirt
  • KMMKMM Member
    Why is this posted here?
  • Thanks for the update, Katy.
    Looks like Ol'Bel wasn't too interested in working today.
  • A horse was loose and the siren was going when Ol'Bel was supposed to breeze so it was a fast gallop instead to be on the save side.
  • Ahhh. Thanks. That's good info.
  • Faversham has been on the shelf for a little over a month now. I wonder if there is an issue like bucked shins. Also, I just found out he is listed as a Ridgling. First I've heard of that.
  • KatyKaty Member
    According to a Facebook post from Martin Racing, he currently stands at Harris Farm to "let his mane down for a while".
  • edited July 2017
    Ok thanks. On June 12 when they posted his June 16 debut was delayed, they went on to state that it was because of the field size and that Art was thinking of Del Mar for the debut.

His last workout was on June 3, so he is going to need a tune up when he returns to training. I wonder if he will even be ready in time for the Del Mar summer meet. Returning an unraced two year old to the farm, who was on the verge of making a start, sounds more like a layup situation due to physical issues. Sounds cute to say "letting his mane down", but there is probably more to the story. Most important thing is to give him the time he needs, regardless of why.
    Katy said:

According to a Facebook post from Martin Racing, he currently stands at Harris Farm to "let his mane down for a while".

• Just saw the comments from Martin Racing. He is at Harris for 30 - 90 days, per recommendation of Art. He arrived the last week of June. Even if he returns to training in 30 days, it's hard to imagine that he makes his debut during the summer meet at Del Mar, which ends on September 4.
  • Faversham has been nominated to the Del Mar Futurity.
  • KMMKMM Member
    I agree Especially_Horses.
  • AKA Faversham is a ridgling (undescended testicle). Not typically a life-threatening condition.
  • KetaKeta Member
    A cryptorchid horse, also called a rig or ridgling, is a horse with failure of one or both testicles to descend in the fetus from a position behind the kidneys, along the wall of the abdomen, and into the scrotum. The testicle usually reaches the scrotum before birth.

Not sure what sending him to pasture means,
    Ridglings can race-right?
    Can anyone help explain?
    Thanks, Keta
  • LionessLioness Member
    edited July 2017
    That's what I was wondering. There are plenty of ridglings who race... Not sure why he would be sent to pasture, meaning taking him off the track and giving him time off I'm assuming. Shouldn't this condition have been discovered a while ago?
  • KMMKMM Member
    There are many good riglings racing. Don'_t know if they are able to be breeding stallions.
  • WezzieWezzie Member
    edited July 2017
    AP Indy is probably the most famous ridgling. It is not typically a problem. Just more complicated to geld.

Doubt he was 'sent to pasture' because he is a ridgling. Most likely some other young horse ailment (bucked shins, splints, etc) or even just a growth spurt.

Some one just happened to notice he is listed as a ridgling and an reacted as if it was an aliment.
  • ZenyenZenyen Member
    The condition particularly as it settles can cause some discomfort especially running. Testicles go up and down in the early years before settling. They are probably going to see if the undesended testicle settles in a place that will allow the colt to race without discomfort. If it does great, if it doesn't they may have to held him.
  • WezzieWezzie Member
    edited July 2017
    Just a point of interest- it tends to run in families. AP has quite a few sons who are ridgings too. Honor Code being one. Years ago ridglings were devalued and routinely gelded to prevent them from passing on the trait.

First memory I have of watching a surgical procedure was on a bilateral crypto. I was 5-6 so it must have been pretty vivid! Outside, on his back between to hay bales to balance him, and the vet arm deep in his abdomen. My dad said later one testicle was almost all the way to his spine!
  • Not sure why there is a hastag#PrayForFaversham --- There are many famous racehorses/stud stallions who were Ridglings. AP Indy immediately comes to mind as does Honor Code, one of his sons. Wasn't Seattle Slew a Ridgling? In AP Indy's case, It caused him to have an issue, a "itch" as Mike Smith noted after a workout. He had what was, at the time, considered a risk-taking surgery to correct the problem, while "saving" the other testicle. That was many years ago. I would assume, if Faversham needs some surgical procedure to correct this issue, it would be less risky and invasive today.
  • Sorry, @Wezzie --- I guess we were posting at the same time.! I didn't mean to be repetitive.
  • WezzieWezzie Member
    Great minds they say! =)
    bleubetty said:

Sorry, @Wezzie --- I guess we were posting at the same time.! I didn't mean to be repetitive.