2017 Kentucky Oaks.

Comments

• Zenyen said:

Ladies, look at the production record of Wild Forest, Paradise Woods dam.

5 foals of racing age with a total of 75 starts between them. This mare is putting sound horses on the ground.

Thank you! I didn't think to look at her produce record. I was looking at her female family's records themselves (lots of unraced or relatively short racing careers).
  • KMMKMM Member
    edited April 2017
    Great grand dam Long Ledgend producer. Female family of Mr
    Greeley and Street Sense. Very good female family!
  • Yeah, I'm hoping there is enough strength in the lines crossing the Native Dancer lines. Also I think trainers are aware of the tendency in the ND lines and are maybe more careful. Mixed with cross lines with strong bones, some of the more distant ND progeny are probably sounder now. Hope so. Modern nutrition has lots of strengthening supplements, too, that will help counteract any weakness, one hopes. It's sad about ND. I was a huge fan of his back in the day. My first race horse crush.
  • Doing research on Paradise Woods, I found that her oldest half-sister, Economy of Motion, foaled in 2010; is listed as having 45 starts and has two progeny listed as being born both in 2014, so there is something not quite right there. Don't see how she could have 45 starts at age 2 and be bred at age 3 to have two foals at age 4. The two have different sires, so they're not twins. Very odd indeed. Both have pedigrees that compute and both are listed as being born in 2014. They don't have detailed pages.
  • I just checked Equineline, the most reliable source for this. No matches were found for Economy of Motion having a foal in 2014. I then went to Equibase. She ran her last start on August 28, 2016, finishing 6th in a claimer at Colombus. Therefore, she does not have a foal yet - her first will hit the ground in 2018.

The next half-sister, the unraced 2012 Rock Hard Ten mare Scent of Summer, has no foals.

The 2013 Broken Vow filly - Broken Bridle - is still racing, her latest race actually was yesterday. She finished second in an Allowance Optional Claiming race at Laurel Park, and it was her twelfth start.

Wild Forest has an unnamed Blame filly born 2016, and her 2017 foal should be due within the next few weeks.

The only male foal is a 2011 gelding by Dixie Chatter named Forest Chatter. He is still racing, and finished tenth in an allowance optional claiming race on April 2 at Santa Anita. He has made 16 starts.

2010: Economy of Motion, b m by Pleasantly Perfect. 45 starts, winner/last start 8/28/16
    2011: Forest Chatter, dkb/br g by Dixie Chatter. 16 starts, stakes winner/last start 4/2/17
    2012: Scent of Summer, dkb/br m by Rock Hard Ten. Unraced.
    2013: Broken Bridle, dkb/br f by Broken Vow. 12 starts, winner/last start 4/9/17
    2014: Paradise Woods, b f by Union Rags. 3 starts, graded stakes winner/last start 4/8/17
    2015: no foal
    2016: Unnamed, dkb/br f by Blame.
  • Forest Chatter is a name I know. Stakes winner at one time. As a 6 year old he may have tired of the racing life but at one time he was a good race horse!
  • Thanks for checking that out, mrsrebaker. I knew the info on PedigreeQuery had to be wrong, but I can't access Equineline. I worry about lower level race horses stuck in the claiming ranks. Those are the ones who often end up at auctions when their usefulness runs out. I like the name Forest Chatter. Sounds like something from one of Wagner's operas. :)
  • I just checked Equineline, the most reliable source for this. No matches were found for Economy of Motion having a foal in 2014. I then went to Equibase. She ran her last start on August 28, 2016, finishing 6th in a claimer at Colombus. Therefore, she does not have a foal yet - her first will hit the ground in 2018.

The next half-sister, the unraced 2012 Rock Hard Ten mare Scent of Summer, has no foals.

The 2013 Broken Vow filly - Broken Bridle - is still racing, her latest race actually was yesterday. She finished second in an Allowance Optional Claiming race at Laurel Park, and it was her twelfth start.

Wild Forest has an unnamed Blame filly born 2016, and her 2017 foal should be due within the next few weeks.

The only male foal is a 2011 gelding by Dixie Chatter named Forest Chatter. He is still racing, and finished tenth in an allowance optional claiming race on April 2 at Santa Anita. He has made 16 starts.

2010: Economy of Motion, b m by Pleasantly Perfect. 45 starts, winner/last start 8/28/16
    2011: Forest Chatter, dkb/br g by Dixie Chatter. 16 starts, stakes winner/last start 4/2/17
    2012: Scent of Summer, dkb/br m by Rock Hard Ten. Unraced.
    2013: Broken Bridle, dkb/br f by Broken Vow. 12 starts, winner/last start 4/9/17
    2014: Paradise Woods, b f by Union Rags. 3 starts, graded stakes winner/last start 4/8/17
    2015: no foal
    2016: Unnamed, dkb/br f by Blame.

I'm thinking Economy of Motion may not be a broodmare, or if she is it is a tiny operation. Last owner and trainer of record are very small-time. She was only a $4000 yearling and her last start was as a $2500 claimer. Not exactly screaming to enter the breeding shed for most folks, at least not last year. I'm sure there are many scrambling to find her now.
  • It's got to mean something that all of the dam's runners are winners... and all but one racing-age foal hit the track. And yeah, now that her half-sister is a G1 winner (boosted by the fact their half-brother is a stakes winner), she's got to be somewhat in demand...
  • EliRoseEliRose Member
    edited April 2017

It's got to mean something that all of the dam's runners are winners... and all but one racing-age foal hit the track. And yeah, now that her half-sister is a G1 winner (boosted by the fact their half-brother is a stakes winner), she's got to be somewhat in demand...

Plenty of really well-bred, solid winning mares never see the inside of a breeding shed. Think of the drop in foaling numbers, those mares are going somewhere. Lots of failed broodmares with exceptional lines passing hands for free or nearly in KY and other breeding centers. A couple of months ago a young daughter of Awesome Again was advertised on CANTER or something, and recently a Lemon Drop Kid daughter was shown on OTTB Connect being retrained. Heck, think of @KMM's mare ;)
  • I think that's OK. :) A good amount of the foals, no matter the breeding, end up being castaways anyway. Maybe at some point we'll find out where she's at.
  • KMMKMM Member
    Yep, Elirose, you took the words right out of my mouth. B)
  • I think that's OK. :) A good amount of the foals, no matter the breeding, end up being castaways anyway. Maybe at some point we'll find out where she's at.

I'm sure there is definitely some digging going on to try and find Economy of Motion.

Just thought I'd put it out there based on this conversation, but the JC actually has a database that will alert you if a horse on your "list" ends up in trouble. I call it the "in case of emergency, smash here" list, but it's real name is "Thoroughbred Connect." I have about 20 horses on there, and you can list foals from the day they are registered and put in the system. A little bit less worrying than the traditional method of writing contact info on the papers, as those get lost or retained by the racing owners all the time.

You need a JC account to see, but here is the link:
    https://www.registry.jockeyclub.com/registry.cfm?page=thoroughbredConnect
  • Good idea. I wish all TBs could be better protected. So many end up in bad places.
  • KMMKMM Member
    edited April 2017
    No way can all thoroughbreds be tracked; to many of them bred. So many animals end up in bad places; dogs and cats from mills; abandoned animals; experimental aninimals. I think we all do the best that we can. Never mind wild animals in climate change; that is where my worries are!
  • Mine too, esp. with the current political climate. I just feel esp. disgusted at the way race horses are treated after winning money for their ungrateful people who toss them away with apparently no more concern than tossing away a used tissue. Those horses put their lives on the line for those people. Not referring to the good owners, who are grateful to their horses for their winnings.
  • Thoroughbreds are by far the most well-protected breed, and it is not even close.
  • KMMKMM Member
    You are fight Elirose. Know of no other horse breeds protected to the degree; but no other breeds bred to extent as TBs.
  • edited April 2017
    Elirose: Where exactly is Thoroughbred Connect found on the JC website? I logged in with my account and didn't see a link for anything called Thoroughbred Connect.
    EliRose said:

I think that's OK. :) A good amount of the foals, no matter the breeding, end up being castaways anyway. Maybe at some point we'll find out where she's at.

Just thought I'd put it out there based on this conversation, but the JC actually has a database that will alert you if a horse on your "list" ends up in trouble. I call it the "in case of emergency, smash here" list, but it's real name is "Thoroughbred Connect." I have about 20 horses on there, and you can list foals from the day they are registered and put in the system. A little bit less worrying than the traditional method of writing contact info on the papers, as those get lost or retained by the racing owners all the time.

You need a JC account to see, but here is the link:
    https://www.registry.jockeyclub.com/registry.cfm?page=thoroughbredConnect
  • @Especially_Horses - When you log in to the JC website, scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page. It's the last link in the My Account section.
  • Thanks. Got in and viewed the list of horses needing assistance. Looked for one horse in particular but he is not listed.

@Especially_Horses - When you log in to the JC website, scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page. It's the last link in the My Account section.

• Oaks 411: 4/19/17:
  • Julien Leparoux will ride Daddy's Little Darling in the Oaks after her regular rider Robby Albarado suffered an injury according to her trainer Kenny McPeek