Unique Bella (Tapit-Unrivaled Belle)

Comments

• I hope she ships safely and loves Oaklawn as much as Santa Anita!

Unique Bella (4-Year-Old Filly)

Date: April 8, 2018
    Track: SANTA ANITA PARK
    Distance: Four Furlongs
    Time: 46:80 Breezing
    Track Condition: Fast
    Surface: Dirt
  • sarinne said:

I hope she ships safely and loves Oaklawn as much as Santa Anita!

Unique Bella (4-Year-Old Filly)

Date: April 8, 2018
    Track: SANTA ANITA PARK
    Distance: Four Furlongs
    Time: 46:80 Breezing
    Track Condition: Fast
    Surface: Dirt

• KetaKeta Member
    Unique Bella being schooled & getting lots of love
  • KetaKeta Member
    Unique Bella did what she had done in gate schooling at Oaklawn
    Stood in gate when it opened

• KetaKeta Member
    Apple Blossom Race Replay
    Unique Bella was Second
  • I hope she doesn't get the "only in CA" or "only at Santa Anita" attached to her name now. What a shame.
  • KetaKeta Member
    edited April 2018
    Boy, do I owe Unique Bella an apology.
    She did not stand in the gate.
    She fell . Sorry Bella

• I think Hollendorfer blew it when he waited until the Wednesday before a Friday race to ship her half-way across the country. Also she carried 123 lbs, well above the average 115 of the other six horses. I think she used up too much energy catching up with the rest of the field to get into her usual lead position, and then couldn't keep it up. I wonder if that was Mike's idea, or hers. I suspect it was hers. I'm disappointed for her. At the same time, it further illustrates how special Zenyatta was to go from being a "CA horse" to winning the Apple Blossom three times. I'm not surprised by the performance of Unbridled Mo. She has quite a good pedigree.
  • Oh, just saw the part about the fall after I posted my comments. I wonder how that fall happened. Zowie!
  • KMMKMM Member
    The story said she was rocking back and forth, which is evidentally her habit in gate, and was completely unprepared.
  • zfanzfan CaliforniaMember
    Good girl Unique Bella, after that fall in the gate you did fantastic! That was a lot of catch up and energy expended to recover like you did.
  • zfan said:

Good girl Unique Bella, after that fall in the gate you did fantastic! That was a lot of catch up and energy expended to recover like you did.

I agree!!!!! What a photo in that tweet @Keta, thank you!
  • Did Mike not think she could rate effectively by slowing her down? Why not, she needed every trick up his sleeve after that start. I get that she's not Arrogate, at least to him, but still.....
  • sarinne said:

Did Mike not think she could rate effectively by slowing her down? Why not, she needed every trick up his sleeve after that start. I get that she's not Arrogate, at least to him, but still.....

UB has never had good brakes. I still maintained that's why she spent a lot of last year running sprints. She would break, bull her way to the lead and win on the lead. Take a look at some of her races last year where she mowed through horses and nearly caused a couple of wrecks.

I do think Hollendorfer has trained her to relax a little, which is why they were trying to stretch her out to two turns this year. But training can only take you so far and horses will revert back to 'type' when stressed.

Unique Bella missed the break and the herd got away from her. She HATED that and took off under Mike Smith. Smith could have tried to cover her up behind horses but there was a HUGE risk that she'd mow through them, like she has in the past. So his only choice was to take her outside and try to hold on to her and get her to relax. Looking at the speed numbers ... she didn't relax and she took the whole damn field with her.

Then she ran out of gas in the lane, which is why she ran sprint races with this style, not two turns.

• Curious @Zenyen if you are a fan of hers or not (I know it's neither here nor there, but I just wonder)? She definitely has an attitude, and I think that, and her power and speed, have turned people's heads and made her a favorite. But even the best horses have their detractors, so I'm interested to know why does not like Bella and why, purely from an educational standpoint -- I know I could spend days reading comments on Bloodhorse, but I prefer the personal touch here. TIA! :)
  • @sarinne

I guess I would ask in return, why do you think I don't like her?

Nothing I've said has been a detraction on her or her ability. I have always stated that horses are not machines and that racing is 45% physical ability, 45% mental ability, and 10% racing luck. Note: The truly great horses find a way to overcome that 10% RL handicap no matter what, but they are the true rarified air.

Why are we judging a horse's worth by the ability to get two turns? Is being a top class sprinter not worthy of exaltation as well?

She has the physical build and has shown that she can get two turns if she relaxes and Hollendorfer has obviously been working on her, as has maturity, to help her relax and rate but she's just not there yet. It's not a criticism of either UB, Hollendorfer or Mike Smith, unlike some people who are throwing the latter two under the bus.

If I wasn't a fan of the horse I'd be saying things like "She's a one track horse" "She can't ship" or "She's just a morning glory." Those are insults to a horse's ability for what they suggest.

What made American Pharoah a Triple Crown winner wasn't just his physical ability. Go back and watch his Preakness Stakes, where you can see him "turn on" away from the gate in order to get position and not get caught behind a wall of mud. Then he "turns off" along the backside for a breather, and then "turn on" again down the stretch. You see this ability to be "Tactical" in older champions because it is something that comes with time and maturity, but in a 3 year old it's almost unheard of.

Unique Bella is starting to become "Tactical", but this race just showed that in a clutch situation, she reverts to her "natural" form, which is a highly competitive 'turn on the afterburners and go' attitude.