Unique Bella (Tapit-Unrivaled Belle)

Comments

• Jeremy Balan ‏@BH_JBalan ‎Sunday, ‎5 ‎February, ‎2017
    Unique Bella's winning margin in the Las Virgenes was 8 3/4, ahead of Mopotism,
    who was 1 1/4 ahead of Champagne room.

Brad Free ‏@BradFree1 ‎February ‎5, ‎2017
    Unique Bella 1:35.66 romp in G2 Las Virgenes Stakes second-fastest mile Santa Anita meet, surface was not quick. Beyer Figure in high 90s?
  • So Unique Bella was 10 lengths in front of Champagne Room. Wow. And she really wasn't trying very hard at all. Mike Smith said her run to the front when she went was all her idea. She ran her race. That's what Beholder did. When the fillies have the speed, they have the brains to know how to get the job done against all comers.
  • KMMKMM Member
    edited February 2017
    Very impressive filly! Very impressive pedigree! Sheis unique! K
    PS. She is reminding me of RA in her coming forward!
  • Thought I'd post this picture here so it doesn't get lost on the Foal Watch thread with all the other foals. This is Unique Bella's full sister, just born in Feb, 2017. Can't tell if she is going to grey out. It would be funny if she didn't. I imagine Unique Bella was chestnut when she was born.
    Twitter photo by Chase Mullins originally posted by QueenZFan2 in Foal Watch.
  • Pretty freakin' adorable. She looks like a chestnut to me.

How is it that Mikey gets all the girls?:-)
  • Brad Free ‏@BradFree1 ‎February ‎5, ‎2017
    Unique Bella 1:35.66 romp in G2 Las Virgenes Stakes second-fastest mile Santa Anita meet, surface was not quick. Beyer Figure in high 90s?

Brad Free ‏@BradFree1 Monday Feb. 6 2017
    Unique Bella earned 98 Beyer in Sunday romp at Santa Anita (1:35.66 mile),
    the top figure of the year by 3-year-old either gender.
  • Fun side-to-side pics!
  • KetaKeta Member
    edited February 2017
    Mike Hogan ‏@DRFHogan ‎Tuesday, ‎7 ‎February, ‎2017
    Unique Bella lifetime PPs and
    PPs for Songbird as they looked on this day last year.

Keta Note: To see graphic, click on graphic/link.
    Then click on next graphic. The two are not on the same page.
    You have to click on Arrow to right to move from Unique Bella to Songbird.
    And, on the Arrow to left to return to Unique Bella.
  • I hope that they wait for the Preakness. She has no points and would have to play catch up to qualify.
  • KMM said:

I hope that they wait for the Preakness. She has no points and would have to play catch up to qualify.

No catch up necessary. The big point races are on the horizon,spaced just right for her schedule. She would only need one, you could go two if they wanted to, but one is really all she needs.
  • I doubt Hollendorfer will want any part of the colts.
  • KetaKeta Member
    edited February 2017
    Excellent article on both with future plans

Unique Bella gaining that Songbird aura
    By Steve Andersen Daily Racing Form 02/06/2017
    ARCADIA, Calif. – The rapid success of Unique Bella this winter has triggered familiar memories for trainer Jerry Hollendorfer and jockey Mike Smith.
    http://www.drf.com/news/unique-bella-gaining-songbird-aura

From article
    Hollendorfer has a blueprint for Unique Bella’s late-winter and early-spring campaign that is similar to Songbird’s 2016 schedule. Hollendorfer said Unique Bella will be pointed for the $100,000 Santa Ysabel Stakes at 1 1/16 miles on March 4 and the $400,000 Santa Anita Oaks at 1 1/16 miles on April 8, races Songbird won.
    The $1 million Kentucky Oaks at Churchill Downs on May 5 is a goal for Unique Bella, and not the Kentucky Derby the following day. Hollendorfer never seriously considered running Songbird in the Kentucky Derby last year and feels the same about Unique Bella.
    “I’d like to try to keep her against fillies if I can,” Hollendorfer said in the winner’s circle Sunday
  • Lioness said:

I doubt Hollendorfer will want any part of the colts.

It's not his horse.
    The guy who runs Don Alberto for the queen wants this very much.
  • Liliana Solari may have the last word on this. We'll see
    Hollendorfer has no ground to stand on in this matter,and has been a deferment to the highest rungs for his horses. Maybe it's his fear.
    As is my choice, I won't say why he ruined a great horse and I'll say he shorted songbird...Maybe because of porter, but I doubt it....more then likely he lacks genes to go above his shortness of self esteem.
    If...after having three horses of supreme skills, possibly the best of that year, and he wasn't able to achieve the highest rung....???...
    I don't know...I've been looking for websites that would work with south America racing fans just to see what they think...but I haven't found one.
    Count me as one that will be working the system to include this wonderful animal in the derby.
  • Hollendorfer will lose Unique Bella in a second if he doesn't listen to these owners. They want a Derby winner badly.
  • EliRose said:

Hollendorfer will lose Unique Bella in a second if he doesn't listen to these owners. They want a Derby winner badly.

Oooh really? I love Hollendorfer but he's way too cautious with his fillies when they're so obviously better than the colts. I hope the owners do point her to the Derby (obviously assuming that everything continues to go well with her).
  • Would love to see a Derby filly. :) Ones like this don't come along every year.
  • Sigh. Seems like very wishful thinking now that there will ever be a photo like that one, with Zenyatta on one side and her daughter on the other. Maybe if we can get a filly foal, it will be a granddaughter.
    Keta said:
  • The Derby point system is not set up to favor a filly. Too bad there aren't some races with points that could go either to the Oaks or the Derby!
  • shirlee said:

The Derby point system is not set up to favor a filly. Too bad there aren't some races with points that could go either to the Oaks or the Derby!

There are, the open races -which both colts and fillies can enter- have points that can be used for either the Derby or the Oaks. The only thing keeping a filly out of the Derby is the filly's connections, not the points system.
  • shirlee said:

The Derby point system is not set up to favor a filly. Too bad there aren't some races with points that could go either to the Oaks or the Derby!

There are, the open races -which both colts and fillies can enter- have points that can be used for either the Derby or the Oaks. The only thing keeping a filly out of the Derby is the filly's connections, not the points system.
    This...
    Whoop whoop
  • Yes and no. Before the points system was introduced, the fillies that went to the Kentucky Derby didn't race against the colts (ever, at least to my knowledge) before the first Saturday in May. The points system means that the owners and trainers have to make the decision to race against the colts earlier in the spring, which they may be hesitant to do.

Honestly, I'd be tempted to say that maybe the top 1-3 fillies with the most Oaks points should be able to qualify for the Derby. The vast majority of owners still won't bother with the Derby if they know they'll be one of the favorites for the Oaks, but it allows for a chance for the fillies to be involved in the Derby without the owners worrying about whether they're racing against the colts too early in the season.