Unique Bella (Tapit-Unrivaled Belle)

Comments

• I think Hollendorfer still has It Tiz Well in the Oaks, right? This is heartbreaking for sure though. He's now had to deal with Shared Belief falling off the Derby trail and both Songbird and Unique Bella off the Oaks trail.

At this point I think my Oaks horse is It Tiz Well. She's really impressed me physically and I think she's undefeated outside of finishing 2nd behind Unique Bella.
  • Wow, back-to-back years he has unbelievable fillies miss the Oaks. It's so unfortunate, especially when these fillies were both clear leaders of their crops.
  • KetaKeta Member
    edited March 2017
    Claire Novak‏ @BH_CNovak ‎Tuesday, ‎28 ‎March, ‎2017
    Jerry Hollendorfer confirms Unique Bella sidelined w/ shin injury as first reported by @DRFAndersen. Says she'll be out "60 days for sure"

Brian DiDonato‏ @BDiDonatoTDN ‎Tuesday, ‎28 ‎March, ‎2017
    Here's our Unique Bella story. Don Alberto's Fernando Diaz-Valdes wouldn't rule out
    running in the KY Oaks:

Sore Shin Sidelines Unique Bella
    http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/sore-shin-sidelines-unique-bella/
    From article:
    “She has a sore shin,” confirmed Fernando Diaz-Valdes, racing manager and advisor for owner Don Alberto Stable. “We’re just going to keep a close eye on it, and maybe we’ll just go directly to the Kentucky Oaks.”
  • jaefeatheredjaefeathered Member
    edited March 2017
    I thought that last quote was particularly interesting. I'm not expecting Unique Bella to make the Oaks at this point though, especially since Jerry Hollendorfer said she'll be out for 60 days at least.
  • KetaKeta Member

I thought that last quote was particularly interesting. I'm not expecting Unique Bella to make the Oaks at this point though, especially since Jerry Hollendorfer said she'll be out for 60 days at least.

Me too! There seems to be a difference of opinion.
    Very interesting back-to-back stories.
    Keta
  • My response, simply..... Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
  • I sure hope they don't put her in the Oaks if she is not 100% healthy. Songbird missed the Oaks last year because of illness and look at the year she had. Rather a BC filly and mare win than the Oaks???? Listen to your trainer Stupid. That is why you hired him
  • Forgot to say. Derby Fever has been the ruin of some very good horses.
  • shirlee said:

I sure hope they don't put her in the Oaks if she is not 100% healthy. Songbird missed the Oaks last year because of illness and look at the year she had. Rather a BC filly and mare win than the Oaks???? Listen to your trainer Stupid. That is why you hired him

Ahhhh...
    But Songbird didn't get that win, and she's been slowed by injury and hasn't any clear path this year.
    Shared Belief was famously injured early in his three year old season, and many believe California chrome would have played behind him his whole career. I can't even speculate because shared belief never got the chance to beat truly great horses over a spread of races.
    Now, all of a sudden?....
    Not me. I can't buy the idea it's just coincidence. Something is wrong at the top of competition when conditioning for top competition.
    Of course, maybe
    You bring up a good point about training to the highest level at such a young age.
    I've always believed that the racing two and three year olds do was good for foundational growth, but I do have concerns about how hard they are pushed.
  • I should have added...
    Trainers don't always know whats best, and I've never been an advocate of that idea. I doubt most know much about the condition of their horse and rely on the experienced backstretch help.
    Of course that wouldn't include the better horsemen and women. But even they wouldn't be the best designers of a horses career.
    I could tell you why going to Charlestown was the worst discussion in the world and how I know, but whats the point. Thats done

• I still cringe at the thought the only time i got to see Shared Belief was when he gets injured :(
  • KetaKeta Member
    sdhorserace‏ @sdhorserace Monday June 19 2017
    Unique Bella is doing well recovering from sore shins.
    She's walking the shedrow at @santaanitapark.
    Hopes to resume training by end of July
  • From the DRF:

Unique Bella taking it slowly

Unique Bella, sidelined in March with a shin injury after winning three stakes for 3-year-old fillies earlier in the year, was tack-walked over the weekend and will not be rushed into racetrack exercise, trainer Jerry Hollendorfer said Sunday.

“We’re taking it conservative and slow,” Hollendorfer said. “We should have her ready to run in the last quarter of the year.”

Owned by Don Alberto Stable, Unique Bella was considered the leading 3-year-old filly in the nation when she was taken out of training in late March. Unique Bella has won 4 of 5 starts and earned $342,400.

She won the Grade 2 Santa Ynez Stakes in January, the Grade 2 Las Virgenes Stakes in February, and the Grade 3 Santa Ysabel Stakes in her most recent start March 4.
  • Sprint? Interesting.
  • Nice work. Thanks for the video.
  • Wow--she's a biiig girl
  • LionessLioness Member
    edited August 2017
    Posted in the wrong thread but I'm glad she's back!
  • I'm looking forward to her return and I hope she comes back better than ever! She's got so much potential and is certainly a beautiful filly. I love her pedigree --- I think she got the best from both sides!