St Patrick's Day - Full Brother to American Pharoah

Since St Patrick's Day is officially at the track now, I think he deserves his own thread. It looks like he's being trained by Bob Baffert.

Here's a video of his first day at the track at Santa Anita:

St Patrick's Day - Equibase Page: http://www.equibase.com/profiles/Results.cfm?type=Horse&refno=9864622&registry=T&rbt=TB#

Comments

• KMMKMM Member
    I take it he is the one with the blaze?
  • Yup, that's right!
  • edited June 16
    Looking like a baby, still :) Gawking at everything, checking everything out, still has a bit of baby fat. But has the same cucumber-cool composure of his brother.
  • LionessLioness Member
    edited June 16
    Yep, that looks like a Baffert saddle pad to me! I think he looks like Cleo more than AP but we'll see as he grows.
  • First trip to the track. A lot to take in for a young horse. He didn't seem overly distracted to me and while not racing fit he looks strong and robust, nothing flabby about him. He appeared to be enjoying himself and moved rather smartly.
  • I never said he was "flabby", I said he still had some baby fat :) He has a little baby pudge belly, but that'll go away as he races and gets older. And he's handling it all well, like I said, "Cucumber-cool composure". But you can still tell that he's like "What is this place? This is new o.o"
  • WezzieWezzie Member
    Moves like a turf horse.
  • EliRoseEliRose Member
    Wezzie said:

Moves like a turf horse.

Just like his older siblings :)

He definitely behaved admirably, at least for the duration of that video. And every horse benefits from having Dana on their back!
  • edited June 18
    Edit
  • edited June 18
    He does look quite like a thicker set version of his brother. That video angle of that camera was VERY unflattering to him. He looks less potbellied here :) Though still has notable baby fat. Especially on his big round butt <3
  • ZenyenZenyen Member
    He's built like his dam and his older sister.

I hope they allow him to be an effective sprinter and don't try to drag him out into a two turn horse like AP.
  • Looks pretty impressive to me, but he has a lot of expectations on his back.
  • KMMKMM Member
    Way too early to say what he can do; IMO
  • His legs look a bit longer than his sister's but his build is similar.
  • jen_bloom said:

His legs look a bit longer than his sister's but his build is similar.

I also thought he looked a lot like his sister, but his front end reminds me a lot more of his brother. Maybe he's a happy medium? :)

On a personal note: I do enjoy all of AP's full siblings. However, I hope that LPE's connections don't pull a "La Ville Rouge" on her, and send her only to Pioneerof the Nile from here on out until he croaks.
  • ZenyenZenyen Member
    edited June 19

jen_bloom said:

His legs look a bit longer than his sister's but his build is similar.

I also thought he looked a lot like his sister, but his front end reminds me a lot more of his brother. Maybe he's a happy medium? :)

On a personal note: I do enjoy all of AP's full siblings. However, I hope that LPE's connections don't pull a "La Ville Rouge" on her, and send her only to Pioneerof the Nile from here on out until he croaks.
    La Ville Rouge owners were after a filly. They wanted a Dynaformer x LVR filly to add to their breeding program. Unfortunately they kept getting colts. The one time they did get a filly, the filly was a late term abortion at which point the Jacksons bought themselves a Dynaformer filly at auction, out of a female family that was strongly similar to the lines LVR carried, and LVR visited the court of Bernardini.
  • And then had a fllly :) Oui. Summerset farms has a filly in Chasing Yesterday--by Tapit of course, but still a good addition to their broodmare band. They could still covet a full sister to AP though, true, as his only current full sister is owned by the Zayats. Who DEFINITELY want her as a broodmare.
  • Not the same thing exactly, but it got me to thinking, is there anyone who doesn't wish Vertigineux had gone back to back with Street Cry in 2009 and 2010 in hopes of getting a full sister to Zenyatta? I would have added 2008 to those back to back visits, but having a soft spot for Ebby it's too hard to wish her "out of existence", and in 2005 and 2006 the incentive wasn’t there because Zenyatta’s full talent was unknown. Vertigineux visited Street Cry only one more time after Zenyatta and ended up with a colt who appears to be just so-so on the track and I'm not sure if I'd bother with him as a stud. As everyone is aware of, this is a female family and I’m sure the owners would have preferred a 2013 filly. Then of course V dies and Street Cry dies. You snooze you lose.
  • That would be an interesting discussion for a different thread =)

Back on topic: I agree that I don't feel (at least yet) that Patty is built for long distances.... CLASSIC distances, maybe, but he will probably turn out to be more like his sister and mum.
  • edited June 19
    Deleted. Wasn't a necessary posting after all. i got carried away and not in a good way.
  • @Especially_Horses, I didn't mean it in a condescending way: I just sensed that this would be an interesting topic that I would be happy to divulge further, but didn't want to deviate from the original topic at hand for an entire page or so. I apologize if you took offense.
  • See above.

@Especially_Horses, I didn't mean it in a condescending way: I just sensed that this would be an interesting topic that I would be happy to divulge further, but didn't want to deviate from the original topic at hand for an entire page or so. I apologize if you took offense.

• EliRoseEliRose Member

Not the same thing exactly, but it got me to thinking, is there anyone who doesn't wish Vertigineux had gone back to back with Street Cry in 2009 and 2010 in hopes of getting a full sister to Zenyatta? I would have added 2008 to those back to back visits, but having a soft spot for Ebby it's too hard to wish her "out of existence", and in 2005 and 2006 the incentive wasn’t there because Zenyatta’s full talent was unknown. Vertigineux visited Street Cry only one more time after Zenyatta and ended up with a colt who appears to be just so-so on the track and I'm not sure if I'd bother with him as a stud. As everyone is aware of, this is a female family and I’m sure the owners would have preferred a 2013 filly. Then of course V dies and Street Cry dies. You snooze you lose.

IIRC, there was a dispute between the mare owner and the stallion owner.
  • ZenyenZenyen Member
    EliRose said:

Not the same thing exactly, but it got me to thinking, is there anyone who doesn't wish Vertigineux had gone back to back with Street Cry in 2009 and 2010 in hopes of getting a full sister to Zenyatta? I would have added 2008 to those back to back visits, but having a soft spot for Ebby it's too hard to wish her "out of existence", and in 2005 and 2006 the incentive wasn’t there because Zenyatta’s full talent was unknown. Vertigineux visited Street Cry only one more time after Zenyatta and ended up with a colt who appears to be just so-so on the track and I'm not sure if I'd bother with him as a stud. As everyone is aware of, this is a female family and I’m sure the owners would have preferred a 2013 filly. Then of course V dies and Street Cry dies. You snooze you lose.

IIRC, there was a dispute between the mare owner and the stallion owner.
    That's like suggesting the Grand Canyon is just a small hole in the ground. ;)