Weekly Handicapping Contest

Comments

• It's convoluted using exactas but I understand it. :) Maybe we should use Win-Place-Show across the board for next week. That was how I initially started betting using real money.
  • If @bigherbie doesn't want to try another bet-type theme, we can definitely do that.
  • KMMKMM Member
    Just spell it all out. By scores. Top to bottom. That is all I want. I am trying to learn. K
  • KMMKMM Member
    It is not a PM, is a learning tool. K
  • WezzieWezzie Member
    Only the three with the exacta pick get any points. The rest of us are Zeros! B)
  • If everyone else really wants me to come up with hard scores for all the players, I'll do my best but it might take a few days due to the complexity involved. Otherwise, the scores are like @Wezzie said. The three winners got $5.00 and everyone else got $0.00 (due to no one hitting an exacta).
  • KMMKMM Member
    It is OK.
  • Well done big herbie, and also congrats to Ken and Jae. I do understand how/why I lost for the purposes of this game, and this was a great experience to learn off of and build on. Thanks, Jae!
  • KMMKMM Member
    Thanks guys! Sorry I got stuck there in mindset for awhile! B)
  • Thanks for the congrats (you know what "they" say about a blind pig)! Congrats to Ken and Jae.

Win-Place-Show across the board for next week-end - thanks, Ken. This okay Jae? I definitely need all the help I can get !!! ;)

PS: I really wouldn't have given up my win to KMM!!! :3
  • Sure @bigherbie =) Do you have a race selection yet, or do you want to wait until the entries come out later in the week?
  • I will go with the following, should I wait to see if more than 4 horses are running, or does it matter? See, I have no strategy...

Win-Place-Show across the board for next week-end: Saturday (7/22) - Del Mar - San Diego Handicap
  • KMMKMM Member
    So we have to get all three in correct order, right?
  • No, that's a trifecta bet @KMM. This is basically the same format as the Horse Players (A Betting Game) thread for this upcoming weekend.
  • edited July 2017
    Congrats to bigherbie and jae. DerbyWars uses the across the board bet for their contests and I played a bunch of them last December/early January in getting ready to bet for real when Oaklawn opened. When you pick the winner it is thrilling to add up the winnings from all 3 bets. And if you have a long odds horse, even a second place finish can pay well. I remember a race in January at Oaklawn where the horse I picked was 20-1 in the morning line and by post time had skyrocketed to 52-1. The horse almost won in finishing second and my place and show bets paid really well - $33.20 to place and $21.80 to show.
  • KMMKMM Member
    Ken, you should also try Horse Players a Betting Game. This is our usual strategy. You might clean up. B)
  • I thought Win-Place-Show across the board meant a Trifecta, which I thought would challenge us neophytes. Wrong again! How about we do a trifecta instead of the same as the Horse Players Racing Game, and try something different. OK with everybody?
  • Trifectas will be challenging for me to determine winners (since I doubt any of us will hit one), but I'll do my best. If one or more people do hit at least one trifecta, they will be our winner(s). At that point I'll see if anybody got an exacta. If nobody hits an exacta, I'll see who picked race winners. Tiebreakers will be based on monetary returns first, and then based on who had the best overall finish. Does that seem fair to everyone?

So for the trifecta, you will need to pick horses to come in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in that order. Essentially the same as an exacta, but with one extra horse.
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    this is getting interesting...
    @Ken....saw your post about Oaklawn....do you live in Hot Springs too?
  • KMMKMM Member
    That is all good with me.
  • this is getting interesting...
    @Ken....saw your post about Oaklawn....do you live in Hot Springs too?

El Dorado.

• Six horses entered in the San Diego at Del Mar - I retrospect I thought there would be more. Should I stick with that race or change to a race with more entries? I have very little betting knowledge so please help me out!!!
  • I think it should be okay @bigherbie. If they don't offer trifecta betting or show wagering due to the small field, we might have to rethink, but I haven't heard anything about that yet. A smaller field means it will be easier to pick the trifecta correctly (not like in the Kentucky Derby!), which is probably a good thing for our purposes.
  • For my race I pick the Grade III Sanford Stakes, race 9, at Saratoga with a post time of 5:40 PM EDT.
  • I'll go with the G1 Diana then at Saratoga. I'll get the entries up in another post in a little bit.