Weekly Handicapping Contest

Comments

• tincuptincup Member
    Playing numbers in the kent.
    Using the four over one against the second place horse ridden by mike....
    Never mind...didn't make the gate
  • tincuptincup Member
    How you like them apples
  • WezzieWezzie Member
    Close @sarinne ! Close.
  • tincuptincup Member
    Ok and late, funny boy
    Top over next in first....

I'll keep with the same theme
    Beat the top price
    I've a five dollar all show hoping to catch Mike over cautious...he was riding shared belief when he was killed.
    I had the whole show pool that day.
    Got it today.
    Martini over weep no more.
  • tincuptincup Member
    Laughing out loud
    Last race....
    Favorites so far
    1/2
    1/2
    Having fun yet?
  • KMMKMM Member
    ?
  • Kent Stakes:
    Frostmourne / Master Plan - $6.80

Delaware Handicap:
    Songbird / Martini Glass - $5.00 (bigherbie, jaefeathered, KenHamilton1955)

Los Alamitos Derby:
    West Coast / Klimt - $6.80

-----------------------------

Winners:
    1 - bigherbie (exacta in the Delaware H., winners of both the Kent S. and the Los Al Derby)
    2 - KenHamilton (exacta in the Delaware H., winner and 4th place finisher of the Kent S.)
    3 - jaefeathered (exacta in the Delaware H., winner of the Kent S.)

------------------------------

So I'm really lucky that there ended up being three people who at least hit one of the exactas xD It made it a lot easier to figure out who won. As detailed in the results above, nobody hit the exactas of the Kent Stakes or the Los Alamitos Derby. Three people hit the exacta in the Delaware Handicap. As tiebreakers, I determined who had the best overall results (bigherbie). Both Ken and I had the winner in the Kent Stakes and missed the Los Al Derby, but Ken's pick for 2nd in the Kent came ahead of mine.

If you guys have any questions or concerns about how I got these results, please let me know. I'm honestly not sure if I'd be able to determine the exact order of finish for the other players, so please forgive me for not posting those as well.

So @bigherbie, you get to choose the theme for next week as well as one of the races that suits the theme. Congratulations to you and @KenHamilton1955!
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    what idiot picked "exacta"....oh wait...that was me...I should have stayed with picking winners since I had those three...lol
    congrats to the winners
  • KMMKMM Member
    What happened to my scores?
  • KMMKMM Member
    I had Martini Glass and Songbird in DE Handicap.
  • WezzieWezzie Member
    I think you like me didn't get the exacta in any of the three races. The winners all got the Delaware exacta and then jaw used the other picks to distinguish. You, Carol and I ...well we will try again! LOL
    KMM said:

What happened to my scores?

• KMMKMM Member
    Please explain how scores were arrived at. None of this helps me.
  • WezzieWezzie Member
    edited July 2017
    It was an exacta pick this week. If you picked the correct exact race, you were credited for it. Three people selected the exact for the Songbird race. Those were the only three who got any points really. Then Jae had to figure out between them who should be declared the 'winner'. So....she used the other placings in the races. Ex. Bigherbie picked the exacta and then also picked the winners in the other two races. Big then is the winner ahead of the other two who also got the exacta but didn't have the winners in the other races.
    Hope that helps.
  • KMMKMM Member
    Nope. Does it have to be 1-2? I thought it could be either way.
  • jaefeatheredjaefeathered Member
    edited July 2017
    I described how I determined the winners in my post above @KMM. Since the contest was for an exacta bet, I went with the three players who managed to hit one of the exactas. I then figured out who performed best of those players by looking at their other picks. I'm happy to discuss it with you further over PM.

EDIT: And yes, it has to be 1-2. I mentioned that in my post at the top of page 8. (http://forums.zenyatta.com/discussion/1579/weekly-handicapping-contest/p8)
  • WezzieWezzie Member
    No exactas have to be in the 'exact' order. So, the ones who picked Songbird to finish first and Martini Glass to finish second picked the exact order of finish. If you picked the other way... SOL.
  • Give the win to KMM - obviously she is much more competitive than I. :3 ;)
  • You definitely deserve the win @bigherbie! Not only did you have all three winners today, you also hit one of the exactas. Very nice work.
  • KMMKMM Member
    edited July 2017
    I don't want the win, just the explanation. K I am trying to learn. You just list winners. K
  • Explanation from the post above:

Winners:
    1 - bigherbie (exacta in the Delaware H., winners of both the Kent S. and the Los Al Derby)
    2 - KenHamilton (exacta in the Delaware H., winner and 4th place finisher of the Kent S.)
    3 - jaefeathered (exacta in the Delaware H., winner of the Kent S.)

------------------------------

So I'm really lucky that there ended up being three people who at least hit one of the exactas xD It made it a lot easier to figure out who won. As detailed in the results above, nobody hit the exactas of the Kent Stakes or the Los Alamitos Derby. Three people hit the exacta in the Delaware Handicap. As tiebreakers, I determined who had the best overall results (bigherbie). Both Ken and I had the winner in the Kent Stakes and missed the Los Al Derby, but Ken's pick for 2nd in the Kent came ahead of mine.
  • KMMKMM Member
    edited July 2017
    Talk about the horses; this does not help me. Sorry if I am being a pain. In other words, what was my overall score and others? You have to lay out this stuff for us beginners.
  • WezzieWezzie Member
    Bigherbie, Ken, and Jae all picked Songbird and Martini Glass to win and place in the Delaware. They picked the exacta. They are tied.
    To break the tie, Jae, looked at the other two races. No one got the exact order of finish but Big picked both winners, Frostmourne in the Kent and West Coast in the Los Al Derby. She won. Neither Ken nor Jae picked the winner in either of the other races but...Kens pick for second in the Kent came in ahead of Jaes pick. If not done this way it would be a three way tie for first!
    Its good K. This is a thread meant to instruct. I am not expert but I am enjoying learning while I expose my complete lack of any handicapping ability! :p
  • KMMKMM Member
    Klimt was a second for me. You need to outline total scoring for me to get it.
  • WezzieWezzie Member
    edited July 2017
    You were not in the finals (winners pool). Only the three who picked the exacta for the Delaware where in the finals. You were knocked out in the preliminaries. I can PM you K if you want.
  • I said earlier that this weekend wouldn't have nice, neat scores because exactas are difficult to hit. Three people hit one of the exactas, so those were our winners. You didn't get any credit if you just hit half an exacta. I just had to determine who came in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd among those three that did hit an exacta, which I did using the method I described above.

Again, if you want to discuss it further, I'd rather take this to PMs so we don't clog the thread. Does anyone else misunderstand how the winners were selected?