Naming 2017 Z

Comments

• It has zen in it too.
  • CNielz said:

It has zen in it too.

That makes it absolutely perfect!

• KMMKMM Member
    edited August 2017
    Haha! Z Queen Bean or maybe Queen Z Bean.
  • joyjoy MaineMember
    The feminine for Russian "gold" would be: "Zolotaya.
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    neither Coz or Zi's name give a nod to their sire....Z princess didn't either...doubt they will start now....but its fun to speculate and see what we can come up with
  • I don't think Z Princess was ever named. Has anyone heard how Zenyatta's half sister Eblouisantte is doing in Europe. She was sent there in January 2016 and I was hoping we would have heard something by now.
  • joy said:

The feminine for Russian "gold" would be: "Zolotaya.

I hope Ann steers clear of anything Russian at this point in time. Just too political. UGH
  • KMMKMM Member
    For some reason, I thought she might be back, but don't know. Foal born healthy.
  • CNielz said:

A place they grow coffee is a Fazenda.

I love that FaZenda. I think it sounds so pretty! Just like the new filly.
  • KMM said:

For some reason, I thought she might be back, but don't know. Foal born healthy.

Who was she bred too? I heard they were thinking of Frankle at the time she went over to Europe. She is such a stunning horse. Great to hear she had a healthy foal.
  • Summer Hill Farm bought her back in November. She was sent to Ireland to foal. They were not sure who her next cover would be at the time of the sale but they said "eventually she will come back to the US and we will see if we can find a dirt stallion." Eventually, unsure when/if she's back now.
  • Thank you Lioness! I often wonder about Ebby.
  • ZenyenZenyen Member
    edited August 2017
    I have a hard time thinking of a single horse named by the Mosses who was ever named in a way that alluded to the sire.

Zenyatta
    Giacamo
    Tiago
    Rutile
    Mentor Cane

Yes they had Royal Mo but they didn't breed him and it's possible he came to them already with a name, because they also bought Gormley but his name doesn't really reference Malibu Moon and Zenyatta obviously doesn't reference Street Cry.

I suspect it will be affected by who has ownership of the filly when the divorce is finalized. We know that Ann named CoZ and she choose something that commemorated his birth and Z, while Jerry named Ziconic and went with something that suggested a hope for great things to come and commemorated Z.

EDIT: Because it was pointed out that a Fazenda is an ugly thing and we should be ashamed for supporting the name.
  • KMMKMM Member
    Ebby has an Oasis Dream foal from last year and was sold in foal to Dansili. Sure foal has been born.
  • KMMKMM Member
    Fazendas (farms) are also historically associated with slavery in Brazil, for what it is worth, but then plantations are the same here in the U.S.
  • How about Zad'oroble or Zad'orable, a blend of both her dam and sire's name. She is quite adorable and as Dottie would say "too cute."
  • We all know the Mosses aren't going to take any of these suggestions seriously. They have always named their horses to their own conventions and honestly, their names are head and shoulders above anything we come up with, if for no other reason than they fit the horse's personality.

This is just supposed to be relaxed fun.
  • KMMKMM Member
    It is relaxed fun Zenyen. Just putting forth extra info. K
  • ZenyenZenyen Member
    edited August 2017
    KMM said:

It is relaxed fun Zenyen. Just putting forth extra info. K

No. You took a name that a lot of us were enjoying (which is rare for this group) and pointed out that it was a word associated to something abhorrent.

Kinda destroys the happy/feel good part of things.
  • KMMKMM Member
    edited August 2017
    Don't you think connotations are important? None of us should operate in ignorance and blindly. K
    Feeling good because you don't have the broader story seem rather blind to me.
  • KMM said:

Don't you think connotations are important? None of us should operate in ignorance and blindly. K

If this was a situation where a name was being proposed for genuine consideration, like some of the contests Stonestreet and other farms have run, then yes I would wholeheartedly agree.

It isn't.

You could have expressed the same message simply saying "Hey, it does sound pretty, but there is a long history with these farms that isn't entirely savory. If you want to know more you can read about it here ..." and then link to a website that talks about it.

That gives people the opportunity to either go look at it themselves, or not.

There have been countless times, @KMM where I've known something, been aware of something, or could point out where an otherwise fun/silly/joyful situation wasn't quite as happy and upbeat. But because people were having a good time and just enjoying the chance for a little fun and silliness, I left it alone. Sometimes, it's nice not to drag reality into what is otherwise some harmless fun.

• Yeah I'm really liking Fazenda too! I'm also not sure that the Mosses will name her with Medaglia d'Oro in mind, but it's definitely my favorite of all of the names that have been suggested for Zenyatta's offspring over the years.
  • KMMKMM Member
    Sorry if you don't approve of my style, Zenyen, but too late.
  • edited August 2017
    @zenyen, Appreciate your response.

@kmm, sorry but my first thought on your comment, was "for crying out loud, what a downer".
    Zenyen said:

KMM said:

If this was a situation where a name was being proposed for genuine consideration, like some of the contests Stonestreet and other farms have run, then yes I would wholeheartedly agree. It isn't.

Sometimes, it's nice not to drag reality into what is otherwise some harmless fun.

• bleubettybleubetty Member
    edited August 2017

I still think Fazenda is a great suggestion for her name --- I love it!
    I can just hear the announcer's call when Z's filly does indeed break her maiden.
    History is what it is --- most people wouldn't dwell on the origin or historic facts regarding a name.
    Most people wouldn't "dig deep" into a thoroughbred name --- there's no explaining some of them!