Naming 2017 Z

Comments

• CNielz said:

Has anyone noticed the name Z Princess was a name registered with the jockey club in 2014?

That's because Z Princess was the name of Zenyatta's 2014 War Front filly.
    Not officially though. That was just her nickname.
  • I did, but what's even stranger is if you check out the registration information for Z Princess it says Z Princess is out of Charismata and foaled March 11, 1999, whereas the name registry says Z Princess was approved for a foal of 2014.
    CNielz said:

Has anyone noticed the name Z Princess was a name registered with the jockey club in 2014?

• KMMKMM Member
    edited August 2017
    Names often get reused.
  • Right, but the Name Registry specifically indicates the name was approved for a foal of 2014. When you check the Registration Status, which is different from the Name Registry, and enter the year foaled "2014", there is no information for a foal of 2014, only the foal of 1999 appears. Curious minds on the Forum where just wondering who the parents where of the 2014 Z Princess.
    KMM said:

Names often get reused.

• KMMKMM Member
    edited August 2017
    Because the name registration was never completed for 2014, is my take. The Mosses started the process but it was not completed for obvious reasons.
  • Agree with @KMM's view on this. The name was reserved but never used.
  • edited August 2017
    Delete

• CNielz said:

That's because Z Princess was the name of Zenyatta's 2014 War Front filly.
    Not officially though. That was just her nickname.
    No, it's her official name. I don't know if it happened before or after her passing, but she was registered as Z Princess. The Jockey Club Interactive registration only shows names that are registered to a horse or reserved.

I did, but what's even stranger is if you check out the registration information for Z Princess it says Z Princess is out of Charismata and foaled March 11, 1999, whereas the name registry says Z Princess was approved for a foal of 2014.

CNielz said:

There are technically three horses that were registered as "Z Princess". There's a 1975 Z Princess by Jet Traffic out of Z'Lady, the 1998 Z Princess by Zeno Fon out of Charismata that Especially_Horses mentioned, and then there's our Z Princess which was Zenyatta's War Front filly.

JC Rule 6(E) states "E. Names of horses over ten years old may be eligible for use if they are not excluded under Rule 6(F) and have not been used during the preceding five years either for breeding or racing.
    Names of horses that were never used for breeding or racing may be available for use five years from the date of their death as reported."

Sources:
    https://www.registry.jockeyclub.com/registry.cfm?page=namesrch&search=
    https://members.breederscup.com/nominations/checkeligibility.aspx
    http://www.registry.jockeyclub.com/registry.cfm?Page=tjcRuleBook#six
  • edited August 2017
    Thanks Pepper9873. I remember seeing it in a reserved status as late as 2016. Now it's indicating it was approved for use. So maybe, somehow it became approved for "our" Z Princess posthumously?

Agree with @KMM's view on this. The name was reserved but never used.

• I know. I just always thought it was a pet name we all called her. I was expecting to see it there so it caught me off guard. Made me cry. Poor little love.
  • Was it ever confirmed that it was the Moss' who reserved the name?

Agree with @KMM's view on this. The name was reserved but never used.

• No, but I find it very very unlikely that it was any other owner in that particular year.
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    I too think the Mosses reserved the name....and she left us before they officially registered it to her. It is too much of a coincidence to be anyone else IMO
  • If you read section C of rule 6 it says that a reserved name has to be used within a year, otherwise the name becomes available again, so it wouldn't make sense for the name to be registered to a 2014 foal if it was never used. I don't see anything stating that the registered name has to be used on a live horse.
    Whether she was registered as Z Princess before or after her passing isn't clear, but I think it's safe to assume that -if she was named postmortem- the Mosses would have gone through with the registration if they could so she would at least have the honor of being put to rest with the name that everyone called her by.
  • You know we started calling her Z Princess here in these forums first. So I figure we named her. She was our little princess.
  • If you check her registration status, it says, "Horse reported dead before registration was completed."

She was not officially named.
  • EliRose said:

If you check her registration status, it says, "Horse reported dead before registration was completed."

That just means she was reported dead before the registration was completed, not that she wasn't registered.
    Rule 16 which deals with death reports says "If a Thoroughbred, or foal for which registration is pending, has died, the owner or authorized agent should promptly report that information to The Jockey Club Registry Office by submitting a completed Report of Deaths form, or through Interactive RegistrationTM at www.registry.jockeyclub.com, and returning the Certificate of Foal Registration, if issued. Additionally, The Jockey Club will accept death reports from a racetrack recognized by The Jockey Club." Again, there is nothing in the rules that says a horse can't be registered postmortem.
  • Ugh, it's just too sad.
  • EliRose said:

If you check her registration status, it says, "Horse reported dead before registration was completed."

That just means she was reported dead before the registration was completed, not that she wasn't registered.
    Rule 16 which deals with death reports says "If a Thoroughbred, or foal for which registration is pending, has died, the owner or authorized agent should promptly report that information to The Jockey Club Registry Office by submitting a completed Report of Deaths form, or through Interactive RegistrationTM at www.registry.jockeyclub.com, and returning the Certificate of Foal Registration, if issued. Additionally, The Jockey Club will accept death reports from a racetrack recognized by The Jockey Club." Again, there is nothing in the rules that says a horse can't be registered postmortem.

Section V, Part A:
    A dead horse is not eligible for registration.

http://www.registry.jockeyclub.com/registry.cfm?Page=tjcRuleBook#main

The sentence I posted is the only thing that comes up for her. The JC does not list her as named or even as having been fully registered. FWIW, Z16 has the exact same thing come up when you try to find his page.

This is Materiality's page when you check his Registration status, which is typical for a horse that has a Death Report on file.
    Registered Thoroughbred
    Name: Materiality
    Dam: Wildwood Flower
    Certificate Issued Date: 11/06/2012
    Original Certificate Mailed To: John Gunther
    Foaling Year: 2012
    Sex: Horse
    Year Died: 2016
    Breeder: John D. Gunther
    Sample : Posted
    Recent Registration Activity
    Form Type Status
    Application Complete
    Death Report Complete
    Name Claim See Detailed Naming Information
    Transfer/Change of Address Complete
    Service Certificate Complete

This is what an unnamed foal's page looks like (Z17):
    Non-registered Thoroughbred, Registration is Pending
    Name: *******
    Dam: Zenyatta
    Foaling Year: 2017
    Sex: Filly
    Breeder: Mr. & Mrs. J. S. Moss
    Sample : Pending
    Form Type Status
    Live Foal/No Foal Complete

Here is an unnamed but registered yearling's page:
    Non-registered Thoroughbred, Registration is Pending
    Registered Thoroughbred
    Name: *******
    Dam: Allegory
    Certificate Issued Date: 10/26/2016
    Original Certificate Mailed To: Dell Ridge Farm, LLC
    Foaling Year: 2016
    Sex: Colt
    Breeder: Dell Ridge Farm, LLC
    Sample : Posted
    Form Type Status
    Application Complete
    Live Foal/No Foal Complete
  • Thanks Elirose, I was kind of waiting for you to weigh-in.

It appears we've gone full circle back to "who is this Z Princess" then?

Here is the name showing Reserved and assumed reserved by the Moss'

Here's the name as showing officially approved for a foal of 2014.

Here is the Registration Status Search, using the name Z Princess and year 2014.

Here is the result for that search. It does not return information for a foal of 2014, but for a Z Princess foaled in 1999. Strange that the search engine didn't return a "not found" status for 2014. That's what it usually does when it can't find the name for the year you've entered.

Here's the search criteria if Zenyatta is input as the dam.

Here's the result of that search.

Is it possible that someone at the Jockey Club decided to "remove" the name Z Princess from use for the next couple of years, because it was widely used in the public domain for Zenyatta's foal?

• carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    the name was reserved before she died....I think
  • It was reserved as early as October of 2014. I show 10/31/2014 as the date I saved the photo showing the name Z Princess (R).

the name was reserved before she died....I think

• I just had to sign on to the great Zenyatta Forum to add this name Idea for you all.

Zendoroble
  • Zen's Serenity
  • I'm still rooting for wee Esprezzo Bean :)