Naming 2017 Z

Comments

• Just read a story about a guy in Japan, his name was Zenya. Simple and to the point. Love the one word names
  • May 7: I came late to the party. LOL. But I think a great name would be ZORA D'ORA!
  • zfanzfan CaliforniaMember
    Anyone want to speculate on when a name will come for come for Miss sweet 17?
  • At the moment, I don't. Lol. I'm hoping it's before the end of the year, but who knows. Maybe they'll decide to announce it on her second birthday - next May! They've really been slack on giving us info about her. Hopefully they'll update on her training status soon, and maybe they'll do the name reveal then?
  • Coz and Zi were named in April of their yearling years. Hope we hear soon!
  • EliRoseEliRose Member
    edited August 2018
    According to the Jockey Club Interactive Registry, the JC rejected the name "Gizele" for Z17 on 7/5. Too similar to a name already in use, Giselle. If you have a JC account, click "Check Registration Status" then follow the prompts. You can also make a free account.
  • I saw that on July 6. Would have been a perfect name. I hope they are working to get it accepted. Giselle isn't racing anymore. I hope we get to have a Gigi as a barn name, would be so cute.
    EliRose said:

According to the Jockey Club Interactive Registry, the JC rejected the name "Gizele" for Z17 on 7/5. Too similar to a name already in use, Giselle. If you have a JC account, click "Check Registration Status" then follow the prompts. You can also make a free account.

• Je'Zele maybe ;)
  • I like the way Gizele looks better. I was thinking Allez Gizele. Allez means "come on".
  • KMMKMM Member
    VARIANTS: Gisèle (French), Gisselle (English)
    MASCULINE FORM: Ghislain (French)
    OTHER LANGUAGES/CULTURES: Gisila (Ancient Germanic), Gisela (Dutch), Gisa, Gisela (German), Gizella, Gizi (Hungarian), Gisella (Italian), Gisela (Portuguese), Gisela (Spanish)
  • KMMKMM Member
    What about Gazelle?
  • A Permanent Name and can't be used again.
    KMM said:

What about Gazelle?

• I can't say I'm a fan of that name, so I'm not too disappointed on that one. Haha all I can think of is that "Enchanted" Disney movie with Amy Adams.
  • KMMKMM Member
    What does that mean a permanent name and can't be used again?
    It is considered a term of feminine beauty in Arabic poetry.
  • LionessLioness Member
    edited August 2018
    When a horse does notable things on the track, the name becomes "permanent" so no other horse can have it again. Like Secretariat and close variations. Non-permanent names can be reused in 10 years.
  • In the case of Gazelle, it's because it's the name of a graded stakes race, the G2 Gazelle.

From the Rulebook:
    F. The following classes of names are not eligible for use:
    1. Names consisting of more than 18 letters (spaces and punctuation marks count as letters);
    2. Names consisting entirely of initials such as C.O.D., F.O.B., etc.;
    3. Names ending in "filly," "colt," "stud," "mare," "stallion," or any similar horse-related term;
    4. Names consisting entirely of numbers. Numbers above thirty may be used if they are spelled out;
    5. Names ending with a numerical designation such as "2nd" or "3rd," whether or not such a designation is spelled out;
    6. Names of living persons unless written permission to use their name is on file with The Jockey Club;
    7. Names of persons no longer living unless approval is granted by The Jockey Club based upon a satisfactory written explanation submitted to the Registrar;
    8. Names of racetracks or graded stakes races;
    9. Names clearly having commercial, artistic or creative significance;
    10. Names that are suggestive or have a vulgar or obscene meaning; names considered in poor taste; or names that may be offensive to religious, political or ethnic groups;
    11. Names that appear to be designed to harass, humiliate or disparage a specific individual, group of individuals or entity;
    12. Names that are currently active either in racing or breeding (see Rule6(E));
    13. Names of winners in the past 25 years of grade one stakes races;
    14. Permanent names.
  • KMMKMM Member
    Thanks Elirose. B)
  • A Permanent Name and can't be used again.

KMM said:

What about Gazelle?

But I was surprised to see a Seattle Slew and Secretariat (if I recall correctly) on a harness racing track. Yikes.

For the record, I like Gizele.
  • Delamont said:

A Permanent Name and can't be used again.

KMM said:

What about Gazelle?

But I was surprised to see a Seattle Slew and Secretariat (if I recall correctly) on a harness racing track. Yikes.

For the record, I like Gizele.
    Well, the Jockey Club is only for Thoroughbreds. Assuming it was harness racing, they were probably Standardbreds, so the rules don't apply to them, even though that is a bit crass.
  • edited November 2018
    Another unsuccessful attempt to name Z17. I like both names, but lean more towards Gizele.

image.png 20.7K
  • I still love @KMM suggestion.....Zenfinity. :heart:
  • Thanks for remembering Sarinne!
  • KMM said:

Thanks for remembering Sarinne!

Of course, I think it's just perfect! :)
  • I like it too.

If they were really serious about Gizele or Izabella, they could put something with it... like M'ore or Gold