Fires That Impact Horses

Comments

• Detailed article on surveying the remains of San Luis Rey Downs

http://www.drf.com/news/hovdey-san-luis-rey-tour-reveals-fires-random-fury
  • From Bella View Farm:
    I’m the owner of Packin Heat and Sir Charmalot. My name is Randy Frank and my wife is Jeri.
    As I as speak, two very dear friends of mine, Brandon Allen, is in the air now with a crew w his helicopter looking and Carrie Hawes, is on the ground w a crew looking. Also, two drones w both crews on ground. Thank you all for what your doing even just thoughts and prayers will help, they tell me if there Out there and not hurt they’ll be bringing them home soon, thanks again everyone involved.

Bella View Farm Update: 
    air search crew spotted tracks going into Camp Pendleton and only could get permission to fly in their air space by 1 mile. Looking for someone to get us permission to have our ground crew enter thru the river bed that forks up into the area to look- he thinks that's where they are running.
  • Here's a story about a search team looking for still missing horses. It is told by Michelle from HiCaliber that was involved with the Lilac fire in San Diego County:

"...this is one of the cooler rescues-helping-rescues-helping-rescue stories we've ever been a part of!

"We got a call today from Texas-based Soul Horse letting us know they had four very experienced cowboys in SoCal who came to lead a search and rescue team -- unfortunately, the horses they were expecting to use fell through and they've been sitting around for two days.

"Enter HiCaliber. They contacted us this morning and within five minutes we had checked them out and confirmed we had plenty of trail-ready horses that would make great search and rescue partners! Within an hour or two they had met the horses, contracts were finalized and they've loaded up and headed out.

"Not only does HiCaliber get to help another organization putting horses first, but our horses -- once rescued themselves -- get to be a part of trying to rescue missing horses.

"It's a privilege to be able to help and we are optimistic that they'll be able to help find some of the 6-10 horses that are still listed as missing. <3

"Prayers for the safety of the team, both riders and horses, success of their mission, and for the missing horses!"
  • UPDATED SLR DONATIONS ADDRESS INFO
    Sean Feld‏ @Seaneff on Wed. Dec. 13 2017
    Please send your donations to this address. From what I gather from being on the phone with Amazon, anything sent through Amazon that has been refused delivery by Postal Annex will be refunded.
    Del Mar Racing Office
    ATTN: David Jerkens
    2260 Jimmy Durante Road
    Del Mar, CA 92014
    Keta Note: I keep reading that the greatest need right now is money.
    Money for daily expenses as well as helping all that was lost in the fire-
    especially the workers.
    Donations of goods and clothing almost overwhelmed Del Mar
  • VA_in_CA said:

Here's a story about a search team looking for still missing horses. It is told by Michelle from HiCaliber that was involved with the Lilac fire in San Diego County:

"...this is one of the cooler rescues-helping-rescues-helping-rescue stories we've ever been a part of!

"We got a call today from Texas-based Soul Horse letting us know they had four very experienced cowboys in SoCal who came to lead a search and rescue team -- unfortunately, the horses they were expecting to use fell through and they've been sitting around for two days.

"Enter HiCaliber. They contacted us this morning and within five minutes we had checked them out and confirmed we had plenty of trail-ready horses that would make great search and rescue partners! Within an hour or two they had met the horses, contracts were finalized and they've loaded up and headed out.

"Not only does HiCaliber get to help another organization putting horses first, but our horses -- once rescued themselves -- get to be a part of trying to rescue missing horses.

"It's a privilege to be able to help and we are optimistic that they'll be able to help find some of the 6-10 horses that are still listed as missing. <3

"Prayers for the safety of the team, both riders and horses, success of their mission, and for the missing horses!"</p>

It's ridiculous to me that your trying to post something positive about HC - when on the other thread she's on video threatening to shoot horses to bring her numbers down - that is NOT how a responsible rescue operates!

• edited December 2017
    PlainBays said:

VA_in_CA said:

Here's a story about a search team looking for still missing horses. It is told by Michelle from HiCaliber that was involved with the Lilac fire in San Diego County:

"Prayers for the safety of the team, both riders and horses, success of their mission, and for the missing horses!"</p>

It's ridiculous to me that your trying to post something positive about HC - when on the other thread she's on video threatening to shoot horses to bring her numbers down - that is NOT how a responsible rescue operates!

No kidding. Especially after the stunts they pulled at Del Mar
  • Unbelievable VA_in_CA. Don't sneak HC in this thread, OF ALL THREADS.
  • You want to throw Soul Horse out, too? What terrible things have they done? I've never heard of them and thought they deserved a shout out for coming all the way from Texas to help with the search for still-missing horses. All HiCaliber has to do with this is that they provided 4 horses for the search, and reported the story. Get a grip, people.
  • If they even provided the horses at all. We know truthfulness isn't in that crazy woman's vocabulary. Which still doesn't make up for loading up hay at Del Mar and trucking it back to their feedlot or all the other crap they pulled.

So for her to say that they're helping put horses first, it's complete and utter tripe. BTW, is that grape-flavored kool-aid?
  • They virtually stole hay from Del Mar?
  • KMM said:

They virtually stole hay from Del Mar?

Along with a host of other things. Like muck buckets which they used as patio furniture, and grooming supplies, and plenty of shavings.
  • They did not do one thing for any other entity other than themselves. They raised thousands and kept it along with all the supplies they took and raised money for. One thing they wanted donated..three stethoscopes. Those aren't cheap. They don't need three. Just one small example.

Probably we don't need to bring this to this thread, though. This is a place to help people and horses.
  • EliRoseEliRose Member
    edited December 2017
    Wow, Texas-based Soul Horse is coming to help California horses? Aren't they interfering were they don't belong? X-marks the spot and all?

I highly doubt that Soul Horse has any idea what HC actually is. Again, Texas.

Not surprised that your only posts on this thread are about your buddies, VA.
  • Memorial for SLR Horses on Opening Day at Santa Anita
  • @Eli - maybe that’s Michelle’s new friend she’s been visiting recently back in Texas? Hmmm
  • HC is posting on their page that Packin Heat and Sir Charmalot have been confirmed dead. Jeremy Balan hasn't heard such a thing. Where did HC get their info and why did they post it?
  • To remind everyone

Jeremy Balan‏Verified account @BH_JBalan
    18m18 minutes ago
    The Stronach Group's Tim Ritvo says there will be a memorial service for the San Luis Rey horses who died. It will be on opening day at Santa Anita Dec. 26. He said the names of horses lost will be included.
  • I have not heard of confirmation of Packin Heat and Sir Charmalot but there is this:

Shirley Ann Kimball
    1 hr · 
    12/14/17 - Missing SLR Training Center horses 
    Sadly it appears that all of the horses stabled at the Training Center have been accounted for. My sincere condolences to all who lost their horses. We sure got our hopes up yesterday. Thank you for all of your help and your prayers.
    That being said, last night on the local news they said a special horse tracking team was going out today to search the riverbed. The best of success to them. There are a lot of private and public Stables in the burnt out and surrounding areas. If there are horses out there, I hope they find them.

http://www.cbs8.com/story/37053492/lilac-fire-search-for-six-horses-missing-since-fire

Which is just as devestating.
  • RachelRachel Member
    edited December 2017
    Here's the messed up part about it all. When it came time to evacuate, firefighters and police weren't telling people to evacuate the horses. They were telling people to leave now. Alot of people stayed behind to save the horses and some people left them there. The highways were closed so no trailers could get in, if they didn't close off the roads more horses could of been saved. In a last ditch effort the horses were just let loose. There was no other choice. The people were the priority, horses came 2nd. But as you can see, that wasn't the case for those that stayed behind and saved the horses that weren't even theirs.
  • I know about Jeremy's official account, I follow him. The point I was making is he was asking for links to the people saying those two horses were confirmed dead. He knows nothing about a confirmation.

I believe the names released will be all missing horses and they are assumed dead. That's what I gathered.

So some rescues are confirming deaths that the industry may not know are confirmed. IDK
  • List of trainers who suffered losses, be it horses or belongings.

_Herrick
    _Kozak
    _Langford
    _Lopez (Dominguez)
    _Marrs
    _Nichols
    _Sayler
    _Sise
    _Solis
    _Vargas
    _Wicker
    _Bellocq