Cozmic One - Hunter/Jumper Career

Comments

• Warms my heart to see this video and the pics. Coz is in a good place. <3
  • Feel so privileged to be able to see Coz looking so happy in his new life. :love: Like wyominggrandma, I hope for the same for Ziconic as well! :heart:
  • zfanzfan CaliforniaMember
    What you said wyominggrandma exactly! So happy to see him enjoying himself. Prayers Ziconic gets a chance at another way of life too
  • I think I heard the words " a lot of confidence and relaxed" in reference to Coz. Who would have ever imagined that? I think he's found his place.
  • Still not sure about the gelding, in the proper hands earlier it might not have been necessary. But like all of you I am very happy for Coz. And he is such an elegant beautiful horse!
  • KMMKMM Member
    Oh my gosh! What a great boy! Isabella is bringing him along stupendously! Horse is totally paying attention to rider and is dressage rules--submissive! Way to go calm and paying attention, Coz!
  • Head down. Next he'll be doing Western Pleasure.
    Terrific job.
  • RachelRachel Member
    Lol that dog is great. I love Boxers
  • shirleeshirlee Member
    Can't thank the De Sousas enough for posting pics and videos about Coz. They have been very fan friendly and patient with all of his people. Such a pleasure after years of seeing or hearing little about him.
  • ZenyenZenyen Member
    shirlee said:

Can't thank the De Sousas enough for posting pics and videos about Coz. They have been very fan friendly and patient with all of his people. Such a pleasure after years of seeing or hearing little about him.

I agree, completely about it being a wonderful change of pace. But we should also keep in mind that the De Sousas are not doing this because of strictly altruistic purposes.

The goal of the RRP is to ultimately end up with a project horse who is ready to be sold on to a permanent owner. Yes, we know that CoZ will always have the Mosses as a co-owner, but all of this is very much marketing.

Marketing CoZ
    Marketing RRP
    Marketing the De Sousas' ability to train horses who are ready to go forward with a permanent owner.

It does not fit the De Sousas' business model to assume that Isabele with keep CoZ forever and ever. She might, we don't really have an idea of the De Sousas' personal horses, but to date her RRP projects have all been "for sale" and gone on to their new homes and Isabele has moved on to her next project.

It makes sense that if CoZ is going to be an ambassador for RRP that he go through this process with the De Sousas, then move on to his "forever" home and show that he can be someone's perfect working partner. Again, we know the Mosses will always be part of his ownership, so hard to say how things will work out. Who knows, maybe Ann is learning how to ride hunter/jumper as we speak! :)

• Crazy4ZCrazy4Z Member
    edited May 2018
    shirlee said:

I agree. Whatever the business plan or personal interest this entire experience has been a joy. We are receiving an excellent education on how thoroughbreds can be retrained into viable careers post racing.
    The number of horses bred to race that are successful is a very small percentage I would think. Coz appears to love this new life and I am grateful to be along for this part of his journey. <3
  • Well said, Zenyen.
  • edited May 2018
    Shirlee, you expressed what many of us are feeling. It's been wonderful to get almost weekly updates of Zeny's first born. It doesn't matter, that this is only a transitional home before moving on to his next location and doesn't matter about any good or indifferent ulterior motives for spotlighting him weekly....bring it on, lol. Even before his retirement from the track I believe most of us felt that Ann would always look out for Coz, for as long as she could. Hopefully that means a lifetime. In the video you can hear a comment about resale of the RRP horses, so won't be a surprise if that includes Coz in some shape or form. We get to enjoy this part of the journey (as Crazy4Z put it), and we need to savor it for now because we don't know how silent the next chapter of his journey might be. This season of his life is a pleasure to witness from the sidelines.

https://www.facebook.com/desousastablesllc/videos/945076669006381/
    shirlee said:

• whoodlerwhoodler Member
    edited May 2018
    Make hay while the sun shines. I never once thought Coz was in a "forever home" and am actually shocked that people would consider that using him as a marketing tool is a bad thing. It benefits a whole lot more than just the de Sousas.
  • I second that!
    whoodler said:

Make hay while the sun shines. I never once thought Coz was in a "forever home" and am actually shocked that people would consider that using him as a marketing tool is a bad thing. It benefits a whole lot more than just the de Sousas.

• zfanzfan CaliforniaMember

I second that!

whoodler said:

I third it! Anything to bring more options to other horses.
    We were told at the very beginning that Coz would eventually get a new home, good for him and thank you de Sousas and all his people.
  • Thinking big here I would love to see Coz go on to be a top level US Equestrian member so we can all watch him jump in the Olympics and even have a good chance to see him at and equestrian meets throughout the USA.

In an odd sorta of way Coz is leaving a hoof path that his little Brother Zi will now have the chance to canter on through, AND Zenny may have the honors of being the greatest racing mare plus the leading Sport Horse mare as well.
  • Photo credit: Libby Janson

Jump1.JPG 76.6K
    Jump2.JPG 79.1K
    Jump3.JPG 62.1K
  • ZenyenZenyen Member
    If he goes on to be a show jumper, dressage or an eventer, then he would have a shot at an Olympic career.

Hunters don't participate in the Olympics, but there are top hunter prizes in the USA. Developing into a top Maclay prospect would be huge.
  • Interesting too see a standing martingale on him, wonder if they were concerned about him throwing his head about as we see in the series of pictures posted by especially horses. I understand it is legal in hunter competitions in the US but not in the Uk. I guess it was used as safety measure in case he got a bit too excited
  • ZenyenZenyen Member
    racingfan said:

Interesting too see a standing martingale on him, wonder if they were concerned about him throwing his head about as we see in the series of pictures posted by especially horses. I understand it is legal in hunter competitions in the US but not in the Uk. I guess it was used as safety measure in case he got a bit too excited

I've never been a fan of the standing martingale and while you can show over fences with one, you're not allowed to show on the flat with them. However there are a lot of people who believe that the standing martingale is part of the over fences hunter "look", and turn out rather like having braids.

Personally I think that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard because you couldn't pay me to put a standing martingale on a horse I was taking out in the hunt field; to risky.
  • KMMKMM Member
    edited May 2018
    I agree Zenyen, way too risky. This is especially true of cross country where a horse may need to throw up his head to balance and the constriction of the head and neck can in some cases cause the horse to flip.
  • EliRoseEliRose Member
    Agreed. I've seen a horse get a leg over a standing martingale before (lunging), and boy was that scary.
  • ZenyenZenyen Member
    Just FYI, in case anyone is interested:

Hunter Section, Subchapter 4 - Attire, Tack and Equipment.

HU125 Tack.

1. Regulation snaffles, pelhams and full bridles, all with cavesson nose bands, are recommended.

A judge may penalize for non-conventional types of bits or nosebands.

2. Competitors may be refused an award unless they return to the ring for conformation or

soundness with the same complete bridle in which they have performed.

3. Martingales of any type are prohibited in Under Saddle, hack and tie-breaking classes.

Standing martingales are allowed for all over fence classes. All other martingales may be

considered unconventional.