Cozmic One - Hunter/Jumper Career

1141516171820»

Comments

• zfanzfan CaliforniaMember
    Good for him
    He has found his niche
  • edited July 4
    And a 4th place finish for Coz after almost a 2 year off time. Isabela and Coz look ready to conquer the world of Show Jumping in these two Videos. Isabela felt the need to remind Coz's Fans that it takes TIME to get a Horse back in show shape after such a long time off.
    First Video is their 1st round in Hopeful Jumpers Class where they win 4th out of 20 entries.
    Second Video is them in the 2nd round of Hopeful Jumpers.

• LionessLioness Member
    edited July 4
    I think Ziconic does show jumping (was wondering about this while looking at the show pictures)? Coz is being aimed for hunters.
  • KMMKMM Member
    You should have included Ziconic here. B)
  • edited July 4
    KMM said:

You should have included Ziconic here. B)

Ziconic has his own thread =)
    http://forums.zenyatta.com/discussion/1124/ziconic#latest

• KMMKMM Member
    Just as a side-by-side. I really do know he has his own thread. B)
  • The two seem to jump quite differently , But then again the two are built differently too. Coz uses just what is needed to clear the fences , while Zi has tons of scope over the fences. And yes Isabela hinted on the Desousa FB page that Hunter may be in Coz's future.
  • racingfanracingfan Member
    I agree with you @AllZensonTrack, the other horse makes a better shape over his fences. Its difficult to judge though as I dont know the height of the fences in these classes. Maybe when the jumps are raised he might use his back end more. Wish she would lose the standing martingale though, hate seeing those used on a horse going over fences
  • LionessLioness Member
    edited July 5
    I would think that in Hunters, all about movement, fluidity, and how the pair looks, it would be more desirable for the horse to only jump what was needed, continuing their forward momentum, instead of having a horse go crazy vertical for a small jump.
  • EliRoseEliRose Member
    Lioness said:

I would think that in Hunters, all about movement, fluidity, and how the pair looks, it would be more desirable for the horse to only jump what was needed, continuing their forward momentum, instead of having a horse go crazy vertical for a small jump.

Exactly. Too much “scope” over the fence will get you docked aggressively.

Coz IS a hunter and that has always been the aim since retirement. No hints needed. It’s literally the title of this thread.

Ziconic is also in hunter training, he’s just not as far along. His trainer is a HJ.
  • LionessLioness Member
    @EliRose thanks! I couldn't remember if Zi was in Hunters or show jumping training.
  • racingfanracingfan Member
    I think you both misunderstood me @Lioness and @EliRose, my comment was that Ziconic makes a better shape over the jump and rounds his back, Cozmic one does not show this at the moment, but as I said it is difficult to judge without knowing the height of the fences.

I understand completely that american hunter jumping is very different from uk working hunters in terms of judging and style
  • LionessLioness Member
    edited July 5
    I think my comment was more in response to @AllZensonTrack than you but I see what you mean @racingfan. I think I prefer Coz's way of moving at the moment. When I think hunters, I think the horse should be taking the jumps as an extension of their stride. Coz has a lovely balanced canter. Sometimes he breaks out of it, but as Isabela pointed out, it's most likely due to inexperience. His jumps seem effortless within stride, but as you said, it's hard to tell if he will adapt rounder moving forward without knowing the jump size. Ziconic is hard to judge because, watching him, I'd say he really hasn't found his rhythm yet (which will come in time). He looks more like a show jumper at the moment, and it's hard to see the whole package.

But that is just my opinion. Hunters can be frustratingly subjective at times, and your view is completely valid. I learned ride at a hunters program and volunteered at a jumping stable one summer. I found the objectivity refreshing. That said, I would call myself a rather terrible rider (who happens to love horses) and cannot do either effectively. ;)
  • EliRoseEliRose Member
    edited July 5
    racingfan said:

I think you both misunderstood me @Lioness and @EliRose, my comment was that Ziconic makes a better shape over the jump and rounds his back, Cozmic one does not show this at the moment, but as I said it is difficult to judge without knowing the height of the fences.

I understand completely that american hunter jumping is very different from uk working hunters in terms of judging and style

Sorry, my comment was also more aimed at @AllZensonTrack.

I’ve ridden hunters but it’s not my preference. Hunters wouldn’t be the first discipline I’d jump to for either boy but as long as they’re happy and healthy, I’m happy for them.
  • LionessLioness Member
    I could definitely see Ziconic in the western world. However, I agree. If they are finding success, good for them.
  • It looks to me like Ziconic is taking off rather close to his fences. Isabela appears to be doing a good job with Coz”s flat work. His stride is becoming very adjustable. It’s good to see Z”s boys happy in their work.
  • EliRoseEliRose Member
    Lioness said:

I could definitely see Ziconic in the western world. However, I agree. If they are finding success, good for them.

I've personally always seem him as an eventer type, although he'd look good with a western saddle. Granted, most TBs make pretty solid event horses. I just love small catty horses for eventing, who are a lot more adjustable to a fence.
  • LionessLioness Member
    That's true. His size could make him pretty agile/versatile as an eventer. And as a personal aside, it happens to be my favorite equestrian sport to view after racing so it would be exciting to follow one of Z's offspring in. :)
  • I only repeated what was said on the DeSousa FB Page after someone Asked if the Hunter ring was in Coz's Future and Isabela replied Maybe. I think both trainers are still allowing their horses to tell them where they want to be. I do find it very exciting that both Z's Sons are doing well and perhaps Coz is being rode on the Flat and lower jumps to recondition him after he strained a Muscle and was laid up for almost 8 months healing. I'm just glad he healed well and can return to his future career now.