Cozmic One - Hunter/Jumper Career

Comments

• QueenZFan22QueenZFan22 Member
    edited February 2018
    Coz and Isabella have been accepted for the RRP 2018! You can find a full list of trainers who have been accepted in the Retired Racehorse Project 2018 discussion.
  • Yay! Go Coz!
  • Impressive young lady. I believe she and Coz will make a great pair. <3
  • edited March 2018
    Is this considered "In Training"? Whoo hoo..

It looks like he found himself a job he enjoys and I know I'm getting a lot of joy watching his progress. I loved seeing him take that jump over the log. Go Coz!

https://www.facebook.com/desousastablesllc/videos/914812758699439/

https://www.facebook.com/desousastablesllc/videos/914813685366013/
  • Its in training to go over fences.

I know this sounds like splitting hairs but the deSousa's have said they are approaching him as a hunter prospect. Hunter form is different from show jumper form which is different from eventing.

But ground poles, cross rails, low friendly "logs" are all the starting blocks for a career over fences. What path that career takes is still up in the air.
  • ZenyenZenyen Member
    edited March 2018
    Everybody should check DeSousa's Facebook for today's video. CoZ doing cross country!!! Nice steady pace between the fences. Then at the end, walking back on a loose rein, Isabella with her feet out of the irons looking like a comfortable, relaxed hack.

I'm curious to see how this goes. Personally, based on what I've seen, he looks like he respects the cross country "solid" jumps more than the poles of a hunter ring. But his steady pace around the cross country today is EXACTLY what you want and need to be top marks in the hunter ring.

Also just before anyone goes too far overboard, you can tell by the wet on his shoulders/barrel that he'd been through that water a couple of times before they started to video. Probably with a strong lead to show there weren't any horse eating piranha in there. ;) But still, even then many horses want nothing to do with water, or will leap into it. He obviously figured it out and with a little encouragement from Isabela cantered through it like a pro.
  • Right into the water--no hesitation. He seems to be enjoying his new career very much.
  • Right into the water--no hesitation. He seems to be enjoying his new career very much.

After a lead or two. ;) Still impressive.

But that is something I love about OTTBs, you do right by them and speak their language while letting down, you can end up with a horse who is bombproof because they have seen everything, gone over everything on and around the track.
  • zfanzfan CaliforniaMember
    So fun to watch. Him walking home with that loose rein and her chillin on his back does my heart good.
  • KMMKMM Member
    How relaxed was he! Woohoo! Very calm and relaxed! Who would have known?!!
  • Unless it is untrue, Isabella answered a reply on if he was schooled at the water or was a natural and her reply was he was a natural. Watch his ears he is not even concerned at the water as he gallops on through. In fact he is like his Mama running through the finish line with ears up and very pleased with himself. That is not a horse who has been schooled several times. The whole day was for Coz and his horse friends to have F. U. N. and he is trusting of his rider. The person recording even stated they were out having fun and well girls on horses who jump in or run through water is just a way to have fun LOL. To my eyes Coz is simply a give your whole heart to a gentle rider who is in no rush to beat a field of horses to a finish line , but one who has bonded with him and knows what he wants and is willing to let him lead in the dance.

There of course has to be a few unhappy people and in his first jumping videos one person was a bit rude in stating he should not be jumping unless he has mastered flat work. He mastered flat work for 5 years while on the track IMHO.
  • I didn't see a comment about the water specifically from Isabela, but I did see where she mentioned that he has settled right into being an OTTB, which is great news!

Schooling isn't a bad thing, especially for water obstacles. Give him all the positive experiences and let him succeed. Best thing for him.
  • edited March 2018
    Zenyen said:

I didn't see a comment about the water specifically from Isabela, but I did see where she mentioned that he has settled right into being an OTTB, which is great news!

Schooling isn't a bad thing, especially for water obstacles. Give him all the positive experiences and let him succeed. Best thing for him.

I must have combined two comments and replies as I too went back through all the 93 comments with their extended comments and replies and didn't see it so I was incorrect on the statement but did see many friends of Isabela commenting on him being a natural.
  • KMMKMM Member
    Coz has a job he likes! B) <3
  • Love that he took to the water like a pro. No hesitation, definitely looked like a horse who didn't need to be led to water. :)
  • whoodlerwhoodler Member
    edited March 2018
    Happy at last.
    Him and us.
  • edited March 2018
    Thanks for your analysis.

Just out of curiosity, how did you think people would go overboard when reacting to Coz going through water? :)

P.S. Nice comment from Isabella:

Question:Isabela & Coz make such a great team!! Do you plan on training him for eventing or was this just for fun? Whatever you decide to do, great job!!

Response: Isabela de Sousa Hi! This is just for fun, and to get him out and about! We hope to do the hunters and jumpers. Thank you!
    Zenyen said:

Everybody should check DeSousa's Facebook for today's video. CoZ doing cross country!!!

Also just before anyone goes too far overboard, you can tell by the wet on his shoulders/barrel that he'd been through that water a couple of times before they started to video.

• @Especially_Horses I'm not sure I understand the question?
  • :) You said "just before anyone goes too far overboard....". I know we can get overly excited at times about new observations regarding Z and her boys, but I wasn't sure how seeing Coz go through water would cause overboard reactons. Just wondering if you thought people would react negatively or what?
    Zenyen said:

@Especially_Horses I'm not sure I understand the question?

• Ah gotcha! I’ll send you a PM.