Cozmic One - Hunter/Jumper Career

Comments

• Cesar Gomez is dead.
    Don't know why he went back to Remington, he was getting speed at los al nightly
    But now he sleeps with Jose, and might take a moment to visit with the friends that are already over the stream between those we've loved.
    Take a little walk about, turn and say...
  • KMMKMM Member
    We miss them all; heartily!
  • The logo doesn't excite me either, other than having Cozmic One's name on it, but what is interesting is that 50 percent of the purchase is donated to the Retired Racehorse Project.
  • Zenyen said:

tincup said:

Can you get a ken doll t shirt?
    A barbie bikini horse gear
    Should we jump and a scream
    Oooh...a tee

@tincup knock it off.

We all have gotten the memo, in triplicate. This is not the path you wanted to see CoZ take. However this is what was chosen for him and this is all being done in a fishbowl BY A CHILD.

You're vague snide comments aren't just targeting adults at this point, there is also a kid in your target field, so knock off the bullying. You want to take potshot at adults, take direct pot shot at adults, but I think even you know better than to be snide at a kid's efforts to share her project horse.
    Ditto that....hope Coz succeeds at this new venture.
  • zfanzfan CaliforniaMember
    Delamont said:

Zenyen said:

tincup said:

Can you get a ken doll t shirt?
    A barbie bikini horse gear
    Should we jump and a scream
    Oooh...a tee

@tincup knock it off.

We all have gotten the memo, in triplicate. This is not the path you wanted to see CoZ take. However this is what was chosen for him and this is all being done in a fishbowl BY A CHILD.

You're vague snide comments aren't just targeting adults at this point, there is also a kid in your target field, so knock off the bullying. You want to take potshot at adults, take direct pot shot at adults, but I think even you know better than to be snide at a kid's efforts to share her project horse.
    Ditto that....hope Coz succeeds at this new venture.
    I agree with you Delamont, please let’s enjoys Coz’s new journey. We all wished him a successful racing career, it didn’t work out. He has been given a new way of life that is fun for us fans to watch and seems to be enjoyable for him. Please let’s wish him the best and enjoy it.
    I ordered a t shirt and a coffee cup, I agree the logo is so so but who cares!? It has his name on it, the proceeeds help other retired racehorses...win-win.
  • De Sousa has posted new video today of Coz taking small jumps. I don't know how to post from my phone, maybe someone else can do so.
  • De Sousa has posted new video today of Coz taking small jumps. I don't know how to post from my phone, maybe someone else can do so.

https://www.facebook.com/desousastablesllc/videos/931200003727381/

He's looking more and more like a hunter. Steady stride, nice and square knees. That's what they like to see in the hunter ring.

• Steady is right!
  • Beautiful!
  • Is my bad eyesight or are there two different heights?
  • They start at about 18 inches and then bumped up to 2 feet.
  • Unless my eyesight is equally bad, they raised the bar after the first couple of jumps.
  • Thanks, Jen.
  • zfanzfan CaliforniaMember
    He acts like he’s been at it awhile. What a good boy, thank you Isabella
  • KMMKMM Member
    Good progress!
  • He is definitely a different horse.
  • I think I like the long and low on a loose rein at the end almost as much. It says that he is calm, trusts his rider, and enjoys and more importantly understands what he is doing these days.
  • Have a question for you from the other side of the pond. What exactly is hunter jumper as we dont use that term over here, is it the same as a working hunter class in the uk, where you jump a round and if clear will be asked to do a ridden show at all paces. Otherwise happy easter to all on the forum
  • racingfan said:

Have a question for you from the other side of the pond. What exactly is hunter jumper as we dont use that term over here, is it the same as a working hunter class in the uk, where you jump a round and if clear will be asked to do a ridden show at all paces. Otherwise happy easter to all on the forum

@racingfan Happy Easter! And it is similar to your working hunter classes, yes.

Over on this side of the pond, show jumper is more objective. You and your horse are jumping a course that is designed to test the horse's courage and adaptability on the fly. You have verticals, oxers, liverpools, combinations, and horses are asked to change stride and distance between fences and so long as you get over the course in time, without knocking anything down or refusing, you advance.

It doesn't matter how you or your horse look getting over those fences, so long as you're "clear" you go on to the jump off, which is an abbreviated, timed go over the course and the fastest/clear time wins. There is usually no flat class involved, it's all over fences.

In hunter shows, the judging is subjective and based on criteria of what defines the best hunter. The fences are spaced very regularly and with an expected number of strides, based on a steady rhythm of going. Horse and rider are judged on turn out, and style over the fence. When I say that CoZ has naturally square knees, that is something most hunter judges want to see; forearms lifted out from the chest, knees bent, cannons pointed down towards the ground, fetlocks bent, hoofs back and both knees are perfectly level with one another.

Strides are specific. If the course calls for 6 strides between two fences, you must hit that 6 and do so without showing an dramatic change in pace.

And like your working hunter class, there is usually at least one or two flat classes that the horse performs in, in conjunction with their over fences class, to make up a series that is judged for championship honors.
  • Thank you for the detailed explanation, Zenyen! I've never been completely sure by your definition is very helpful to my understanding. I think Coz looks great at his new job and I'm very happy for him.
  • Zenyen said:

De Sousa has posted new video today of Coz taking small jumps. I don't know how to post from my phone, maybe someone else can do so.

https://www.facebook.com/desousastablesllc/videos/931200003727381/

He's looking more and more like a hunter. Steady stride, nice and square knees. That's what they like to see in the hunter ring.

Niiiice! He looks relaxed, calm, responsive. Thanks for the link, Zenyen.
  • KetaKeta Member
    edited April 2018
    racing fan
    Zenyen did an outstanding job of describing hunter/jumpers
    The Hampton Classic is one of the major horse shows on the East Coast of USA.
    Great show to attend as an exhibitor and/or spectator.
    The local newspaper "Dan's Papers" publishes the show schedule.
    Here is the one from 2017. Gives you an idea of the classes in which riders can compete. Reminder: Hunter jump height shown in feet and inches.
    U/S means Under Saddle The equitation part of the Class.
    Jumper Classes follow the International metric standard.
    The Hampton Classic
    "Now well into its third successful decade, The Hampton Classic Horse Show is in a class all its own, both in the minds of spectators and horse people alike. In 2009, the Hampton Classic became only the second horse show ever to receive the status of Heritage Competition by the United States Equestrian Federation."
    http://www.danspapers.com/2017/08/2017-hampton-classic-horse-show-schedule/

• I live and learn. Thanks for the info Zenyen and others, then we dont have such an equivalent here. In working hunter classes the horse jump a set height course with no style marks. If they are clear they advance to the showing part where the horses are assessed on the flat at walk trot canter and gallop. The judge may or may not ride them to assess their rideability. With such a background, this accounts a lot for the often nice riding style american showjumpers have as compared to the europeans where anything goes unfortunately from the rigid germanic style to the hunting field style of many of the british riders with certain exceptions.
  • Oops forgot to say that the fences themselves are rustic. And wil always include a water tray or artificial equivalent