StopChargingMaria (Tale Of The Cat x Exotic Bloom, by Montbrook)

Paniolo_GalPaniolo_Gal Member
edited February 7 in Thoroughbred Breeding
As a Multiple GI winner, with career earnings of $3,014,000 (18 Starts: 9 - 4 - 1), it was a bit of a surprise that Stopchargingmaria didn't have a separate discussion about her. Regardless, we were so excited that Stopchargingmaria, delivered her first foal, a bay filly by Pioneerof the Nile on February 2, 2018. We are also very grateful that Three Chimneys Farm allowed us to share her foaling via foalpatrol.com. StopChargingMaria delivered a beautiful filly (a carbon copy of mama)!

Although I was unable to get to watch her live foaling, it was a treat to receive an alert and webcam link from QueenZFan22 and a live birth recap by Zenyen. (See Foal Watch 2018-Page 16)

I am aware that the forum members decided to keep new foaling updates in the Foal Watch 2018 discussion. But I find it very "fascinating" to be able to watch, LIVE...the daily interactions between this mother and daughter.

Once again, this is the live webcam currently on StopChargingMaria: https://foalpatrol.com/horses/stopchargingmaria
I hope Three Chimneys lets us enjoy watching this pair for a few more weeks. ❤

Comments

• Paniolo_GalPaniolo_Gal Member
    edited February 7
    During the few evenings when things are quiet, I've been able to watch for brief moments some interesting behavior of StopCharingMaria and her filly:

♦SCM had just finished peeing and was enjoying eating her hay. She didn't react when baby came over to lick mama's tail and legs and even chewed on mama's tail. (Baby has done this numerous times during the past evening viewings...that is, coming over to mama's tail to lick it after mama pees). However, when baby started to nurse, SCM would immediately stop eating, stand still and lifted her head up and turned to watch her baby with a few nudges to baby's butt for encouragement.

♦I've noticed SCM several times lift her hind leg up on the side that baby is nursing from.

♦SCM on several evenings while baby is sleeping, would lift one of her hind legs and hold it up for several seconds at a time. I wonder if this is a sign of discomfort or tightness?

♦Tonight, 2/6/18, baby after waking up from a nap, began to do several cat stretches and after nursing, began doing several perfect piaffes of all 4 legs or just the forelegs for several minutes.

I am just curious and this may be a question for @Zenyen or other experienced horsepeople: Is this prancing (piaffe) in place by the filly, a sign of trying to relax tight muscles or is this a sign that her hooves are sensitive? Please advise on this or any of the above observations I listed. Thank you! ヅ
  • ♦Tonight, 2/6/18, baby after waking up from a nap, began to do several cat stretches and after nursing, began doing several perfect piaffes of all 4 legs or just the forelegs for several minutes.

I am just curious and this may be a question for @Zenyen or other experienced horsepeople: Is this prancing (piaffe) in place by the filly, a sign of trying to relax tight muscles or is this a sign that her hooves are sensitive? Please advise on this or any of the above observations I listed. Thank you! ヅ

Honestly, I'd have to observe the behavior. BUT ON ASSUMPTION ...

From what you're describing, and what I've observed of this little girl so far, I'd say that the she has a temperament like Momma and she's throwing a wee temper tantrum.

Momma isn't an unending milk source and the milk bar is probably running out of milk before the filly feels she's done nursing. Either the little one hasn't figured out to go to the other spicket OR SCM has yet to catch up in production what the filly is demanding.

SCM is a maiden mare, this is the first time her body has nursed a foal and everything is probably still adjusting to the demands of a strong, healthy foal. That would also explain SCM not yet being comfortable with her udder and also the filly being extra inquisitive about any liquid coming from Mom.

The farm probably is monitoring everything closely but won't intervene unless SCM shuts down milk production entirely. The best thing for her is for the filly to nurse as that will stimulating more production. Just currently it's a little frustrating for the filly and uncomfortable for Mom while nature sorts itself out.

• Babies do a certain amount of jumping and prancing around just because they can, and they seem to be proud that they're getting control of those long legs. So that may be part of it, too. I noticed SCM holding her leg up while the baby nurses. She isn't kicking out anymore, but it looks like she's still not too sure about the whole process and maybe it's still a little uncomfortable for her. But the baby looks so strong and healthy that I think she's probably getting enough milk overall.
  • I saw what I think you're describing, and tbh baby seemed pretty relaxed. To me it looked like she was just stretching and listenting the night watchman throwing hay, who you could hear a little ways away.

SCM is an excellent mama for a maiden.
  • Beautiful pair ❤️
  • She definitely had a "Mini-Me". I think the filly has the same white sock on the right hind as Mama.
    edited February 8
    Thank you @QueenZFan22 for giving us the heads up on SCM and other expectant mares! And Thank you everyone for your feedback on foal/mare behavior! ❤ I'm so sorry @Zenyen and @jen_bloom, I should have provided more background & descriptive notations on my earlier post about the "piaffe" (trotting in place) which I observed last night. SCM-18 was relaxed and calm when she was slowly trotting in place after a few nursing sessions...she later plopped down in the hay to sleep. I believe @EliRose was able to capture this catstretch and piaffe incident. LOL! I didn't have my sound turned on at the time to hear hay being tossed nearby by the stable hand.
    Zenyen said:

She definitely had a "Mini-Me". I think the filly has the same white sock on the right hind as Mama.

Regarding StopChargingMaria having a carbon copy of herself, Zenyen is indeed correct! The filly does have a white sock on her right hind leg...just like mama! If you scroll down the page in this link, you will find videos under GALLERY. The videos that really show SCM-18's white sock is "Isn't She Lovely?!" and "Baby It's Cold Outside":
    https://foalpatrol.com/horses/stopchargingmaria/gallery

image Video Clip from "Isn't She Lovely?!" by Vimeo for FoalPatrol.com
  • jen_bloomjen_bloom Member
    edited February 8
    I wish I had seen that move by the foal. I was watching when someone came in to remove some droppings from the stall. The foal was sleeping and SCM was eating hay, but as soon as the person came up to the door, still on the outside, the foal leapt up and mama came around between the foal and the person. They're very alert and the mare is very protective of her foal. She's a good mom! And baby is definitely her "Mini-Me."

Two hours later: I was just watching for a few minutes. Baby got a piece of straw stuck through the noseband of her halter, which annoyed her immensely and she spent several minutes vigorously bobbing her head and using her hind leg to try to dislodge it. All that activity made her hungry so she decided to nurse, SCM moved away from her, and baby had to chase her mom around the stall before she was finally able to nurse. She had a good nursing session while SCM held still, only occasionally raising that near hind leg.

Like mother, like daughter. They're sensitive, observant, and particular about things.
  • Not sure how many days ago the staff came in just before lights out for the night with a pail of water or some type liquid and washed the inside if both hind legs under the tail, I've noticed SCM very itchy rubbing the stall wall and biting her sides scratching and her coat was looking quite tattered and irritated. SCM was NOT happy with that leg washing and reacted to it like it may have stung while applied. The next night the staff came in about the same time and gave SCM and injection of some kind. Right before that SCM seemed very irritated and itchy and when the foal tried to nurse she pinned her ears and lifted her hind leg which had been washed the day before. I'm thinking SCM may have some kind of Fugus irritation which my part TB mare used to get around this time of the year. Last night she seemed MUCH better and her coat is getting back to the shine it had before birth. Little filly girl also started itching and threw a tantrum when she couldn't reach her rump to relieve and itch. She does that Piaffe move when she is frustrated or not getting her way.
    edited February 8
    Thanks everyone for providing more fascinating and knowledgeable observations on StopChargingMaria and her mini-me!

CURIOSITY TO THE MAX!
    AY YAI YAI! Tonight, SCM-18 was very active exploring her stall once again...chewing on mama's tail, sniffing around, licking the stall walls, sipping water from the bucket, testing out the flavor of the straw bedding...but at 5:08a EST, Mama made some poop and SCM-18 quickly came over to sniff it and started to nibble on it! Mama tried to nudge her filly away from the droppings, but it didn't deter the filly from continuing to sniff and munch on it! Mama had to stand over her own poop to stop her baby. Thank goodness the night staff was able to remove the poop shortly after. And all these activities were in-between nursing from mama too! It appears this filly is very curious AND has an insatiable appetite to sample/taste everything around her.

♦ I did see a mini temper tantrum where SCM-18 started bucking and bunny hopping with all hooves off the ground, then showed good balance & strong hind legs by doing a "Hi-Ho Silver" rearing stance holding this pose for at least 5 seconds before she tried to stomp on mama's left hindquarters with her forelegs. Mama just ignored this momentary hissy-fit.

@AllZensonTrack, it does appear that baby has something itchy near her stifle/hindquarter area and forelegs. She has been trying to scratch/nibble on these areas throughout the evening whenever I checked in.

♦7:00-7:30am EST: Mama wants out of her stall...she sees the morning activity of the staff walking by. SCM keeps her muzzle close to the stall door as if it was a starting gate. Now SCM gets very anxious as she sees another mare being led out of the stall just as her mini-me goes for the milk bar. Mama's body language...not now baby! At that moment, the Indoor webcam switches to a tranquil view of the paddock outside...darn!
  • KetaKeta Member
    Paniolo_Gal
    Welcome back!
    Glad to see SCM has her own Discussion with foal info in it.
    Great observations and questions.
    And thanks to all for sharing their experiences and explanations.
    Keta
  • Keta said:

Paniolo_Gal
    Welcome back!
    Glad to see SCM has her own Discussion with foal info in it.
    Great observations and questions.
    And thanks to all for sharing their experiences and explanations.
    Keta

I agree, good to see you @Paniolo_Gal -- I hope things are a little more stable in your life now. :heart:

Good discussion, though, I was thinking a topic along the lines of Foaling and Newborn Questions would be broader and perhaps more people would read and participate since they might skip over a Stopchargingmaria thread. Just a thought. :)
    edited February 9
    Thank you @Keta and @sarinne! We are still battling the "beast" (cancer) and will be flying out this saturday once again to MD Anderson in Houston so I may once again be scarce. But I found it interesting keeping a reduced screen of SCM's webcam on my monitor as I do my work late at night...it's been a great mental diversion. Mare and foal behavior fascinates me...especially watching a maiden mare and how she handles her new experience as a mother. But StopChargingMaria has been another favorite racewarrior of mine and she is also proving to be an excellent mother too!

But as an offshoot to @QueenZFan22 "Foal Watch-2018" it might be great to discuss specific issues/observations under Foaling and Newborn Questions & Comments using the Foal Patrol as a link to watch other TB broodmares on live webcam and perhaps the MareStare link for other horse breeds, etc. It would be great learning from experienced horse people with their input. Good idea sarinne! I will start a broader discussion topic shortly. btw...QZF22 mentioned that Centre Court at Shawnee Farm in Harrodsburg, KY is due to foal around 2/19/18! ♪♫
  • @Paniolo_Gal -- I'm glad you've found SCM and filly to be a good diversion. You and your husband continue to be in my prayers. :heart:
  • KetaKeta Member
    Paniolo_Gal said:
    "Once again, this is the live webcam currently on StopChargingMaria: https://foalpatrol.com/horses/stopchargingmaria
    I hope Three Chimneys lets us enjoy watching this pair for a few more weeks."
    Keta Note:
    Last night I saw SCM lifting her hind leg and doing some of the behavior you had talked about.
    Today Friday Feb. 9th, the live webcam is turned off
    "Live stream offline"

Hope all is well with SCM & filly.
  • KetaKeta Member
    @Paniolo_Gal
    The journey continues.
    Sending caring thoughts and lots of prayers
    With a hug and love
    Keta
    edited February 9
    sarinne said:

@Paniolo_Gal -- I'm glad you've found SCM and filly to be a good diversion. You and your husband continue to be in my prayers. :heart:

Keta said:

@Paniolo_Gal
    The journey continues.
    Sending caring thoughts and lots of prayers
    With a hug and love
    Keta

Thanks for your kind words of support @sarinne & @Keta!

@Keta Yes! I was watching the webcam when it went off line. I believe it was around 7:00a +/- this morning (2/9/18). I hope things are okay with SCM and her filly. However, just to help give some background insights I observed before the webcam at 3 Chimneys turned off the webcam...

@Paniolo_Gal -- ♦(2/8/18) 7:00-7:30am EST: Mama wants out of her stall...she sees the morning activity of the staff walking by. SCM keeps her muzzle close to the stall door as if it was a starting gate. Now SCM gets very anxious as she sees another mare being led out of the stall just as her mini-me goes for the milk bar. Mama's body language...not now baby! At that moment, the Indoor webcam switches to a tranquil view of the paddock outside...darn!

Yesterday morning (2/8/18) after the webcam switched to the outdoor paddock (see above quote), I had the outdoor webcam on the corner of my monitor. Around 8:00a, for a brief moment, the webcam suddenly switched back to SCM's empty stall where I saw an older person (one of the supervisory heads of Three Chimneys-maybe Dr. Stephen Jackson?-idk) pointing to the stall bedding and wall perimeter while talking to the barn staff in the hallway. Then it switched back to the outdoor webcam. Around 8:30a, I then saw SCM and her filly walking into their outdoor paddock.

Today (2/9/18), I had notated this comment as I watched the pair:
    Around 6:30-6:45a EST, Gee I hope the staff checks on SCM-18 for any fungal issues. While laying down on her side, baby kept nibbling on her legs/fetlocks and I believe, she even tried to bite off some of her hair from her right hindleg. I thought she's just being fidgety but she may have been suffering from itch. All during this time, SCM was watching over her baby. The filly shortly after, fell asleep. Then about 15 minutes later (7:00a), the webcam went off line.

I don't want anyone to draw conclusions on what I posted, but the above were just observations that I notated.
  • QueenZFan22QueenZFan22 Member
    edited February 9
    Delete
  • edited February 10
    Thinking either she was taken to Vet or if she is to be bred back for a 2019 foal would she not be visiting her next year stallion? If it is medical we can only pray whatever was causing SCM and SCM-18 to scratch and nibble was found and a short stay for 24/7 medical care will soon have her back at 3 Chimneys and on our Screens again.
  • edited February 10
    Well found some good news I think. If you scroll down to the Video selections it has two new Videos and one called "SCM-18 is Rockin it at 1 week" and in that video the narrator states SCM and filly are in a new barn and new paddock so all that occurred is they were kicked out (Not literally) from the foaling barn and are now in the barn in which SCM-18 will grow up and be weaned when that time comes. They both seem VERY happy in the new paddock running and taking in all the new sights and sounds. Hope in due time they reconnect the Foal Patrol camera so like Sabbatical we can still enjoy watching SCM-18 grow into a lovely young filly.
  • Thinking either she was taken to Vet or if she is to be bred back for a 2019 foal would she not be visiting her next year stallion? If it is medical we can only pray whatever was causing SCM and SCM-18 to scratch and nibble was found and a short stay for 24/7 medical care will soon have her back at 3 Chimneys and on our Screens again.

That's a good thought @AllZensonTrack, that SCM was taken off property for a "date". However, I wonder if Three Chimneys breed their mares during their "foal heat". I do remember at Claiborne, when I spoke with one of the staff (John) who handles the stallions, that at Claiborne, they prefer having a mare "covered" after the foal heat to allow the mare's reproductive tract time to heal and recover. Claiborne prefers breeding mares on the subsequent estrous cycle which is approximately 4 weeks after foaling. John mentioned it also helps in better odds for a successful pregnancy. Only my amateur opinion...it is rather early in the foaling season not to have to "rush" covering SCM as opposed to her foaling in May...just thinking aloud. Maybe other experienced forum members can give us better insights/assumptions.

If it is for another reason that Three Chimney decided to take SCM off-line, I hope they will have her & her filly back on live feed in the near future. Perhaps, Three Chimneys has another mare that is about to deliver and needed to prep the stall with the webcam. idk...

I truly enjoyed watching the interactions between SCM and SCM-18 (aka Maria-18). Before I head out on a trip on 2/10/18, I'll try to post a fun & interesting observation I witnessed while the pair was outside in their paddock a few days back.
    edited February 10
    Since Three Chimney's webcam is off-line for StopChargingMaria and her filly, I just wanted to post a previous observation when they were outside...

LETTING LOOSE BUILT-UP ENERGY FROM BEING IN A STALL OVERNIGHT...RUNNING FREE OUTSIDE...
    Most of the time, when SCM and her filly were turned out, it was rather uninteresting since you needed a magnifying glass to see them way out on the far end of the paddock with an occasional vehicle or two passing by. But I must say, Three Chimney's property made for a tranquil "late-winter landscape painting". . ❤

But if you haven't seen the initial moments when SCM and her filly got to stretch their legs out in the paddock, it was occasionally fun to watch!

Here is a scenario observed on a wet and rainy 2/6/18 morning:
    ♦(8:30a EST): Weee! StopChargingMaria-18 is a real spitfire romping around out in the huge paddock! SCM-18 (Maria-18) will surely bring mama back into racing form as baby runs circles around her...Then this "Eveready Bunny" changes into erratic figure eights all while in full gallop. Mom looks like a hardworking cow pony as she chases after her rambunctious baby. Usually, on a sunny day, SCM would canter a bit with baby close by or graze and occasionally check on her free spirited filly). Perhaps SCM was trying to stop her baby from hurting herself by slipping on wet footing...but without success.

♦9:00a EST: Finally after racing around in the paddock, SCM-18 settles down and mom can now take a breather! Drifting out to the far side of the paddock, you can hardly see the pair for the rest of the turn-out. 【⍨】

You can view a couple of video clips of the pair running around in the paddock at the bottom of SCM's page under "Videos":
    https://foalpatrol.com/horses/stopchargingmaria

Getting ready to head out, but I hope SCM's webcam comes back on-line in the future.
  • jen_bloomjen_bloom Member
    edited February 10
    @Paniolo_Gal, I hope the webcam comes back on-line soon, too. I was also enjoying the tranquil winter landscape and occasional glimpses of SCM and baby. It sounds like it was a great "mental health break" for you in the midst of what must be a very stressful experience. I'm sending good vibes your way and hope you have safe and uneventful travels today.
  • Paniolo_Gal Scroll up to my post after the one of my positive thinking that SCM had a date. Maria and Maria-18 have been moved from the foaling barn to the barn which her and her filly will stay until Maria-18 is weaned. You can go to her Foal Patrol video section and poke on The Video titled "SCM-18 is Rockin it at 1 week" and the Barn manager explains that they are in a new Barn and new paddock and will remain there until the filly is weaned. So all is well with Stopchargingmaria and her SCM-18 filly just their time occupying a foaling stall has come to and end and unlike the Phipps stable with Sabbatical they have not moved the Foal Patrol camera on to the new stall and pasture. Wondering now if all us observers made Three Chimneys feel a bit nerved at knowing what was going on with Maria and the fungus or irritation issue. I've noticed with Center Court they take her out of the camera's view to do any inspections of her progress.