Foaling and Newborn Questions & Comments

Comments

• EliRose said:

FWIW, sabino IS an overo pattern. Overo just means "not tobiano." I'd be willing to bet that she's one of those grays :)

Oh! I thought sabino and overo were different in genetic make up for the TB pinto coat color. I do know what a tobiano looks like but I read somewhere that the TB does not have tobiano genes/allele in the breed (but in Europe there is a breeding farm with a tobiano racehorse name Angrove Rumbaba. But he's not pure TB unfortunately.) But, what do I know-I'm not an expert in genetics, I just love to learn from the experienced members!

From page 30 in The Genetics discussion- "Dominant White and Extreme Sabino in Thoroughbred Race Horses" https://wizzley.com/dominant-white-and-extreme-sabino-in-thoroughbred-race-horses/

...Maybe that mare was a TB-cross pinto sport horse??...idk

Anyway, you're right @EliRose ...it just may be a very white grey that enjoyed time playing in the mud outside which also caused the lower half of its tail to get stained light brown! LOL!

Sorry to be off topic. Hope I can catch La Verdad foal tonight before or after my seminar! Have a great time everyone watching this exciting event!
    https://foalpatrol.com/horses/la-verdad/blog?nid=243
  • QueenZFan22QueenZFan22 Member
    edited March 2018

UPDATE #3 on La Verdad. There's now a woman in her stall (looks like it may be her owner?) The lady has been petting her and looking at her udder.

Yep the lady that was in her stall is in fact her owner.
  • That must be Sheila Rosenblum...she's an attractive individual who used to model before going into horse racing/breeding.
  • jen_bloomjen_bloom Member
    edited March 2018
    I hope they know what they're doing, and aren't getting her too excited to be able to foal if she's ready to. Like @AllZensonTrack, I can't help but think about Zenyatta's Z16 when I see so much activity in her stall.
  • jen_bloom said:

I hope they know what they're doing, and aren't getting her too excited to be able to foal if she's ready to. Like @AllZensonTrack, I can't help but think about Zenyatta's Z17 when I see so much activity in her stall.

@jen_bloom I agree. She's been in and out of her stall and taking pics with her. Just let her be!
  • All is Now Quiet for La Verdad:
    https://foalpatrol.com/horses/la-verdad
    3/8/18 at 9:15p EST: Finally all the fiasco is over and it appears peace and quiet for La Verdad to finally relax! Lights are out in the barn hallway. Hoping LV has a safe foaling tonight.

9:25p EST: A male attendant with a bucket of water? just did a check on LV and patted her on her topline before he left.

Heading out now, but for those who can watch, please keep us posted. Thanks!
  • When I looked in a few minutes ago (9:50ish) there were several people in her stall with her again. They've left her alone again for now. Lights are back on in the barn hallway. She seems to be contentedly munching hay. I'd be very surprised if she's going to foal tonight.
  • jen_bloom said:

When I looked in a few minutes ago (9:50ish) there were several people in her stall with her again. They've left her alone again for now. Lights are back on in the barn hallway. She seems to be contentedly munching hay. I'd be very surprised if she's going to foal tonight.

I don't see where her belly has gone into a V shape suggesting foaling is imminent but who knows with these tricksy ladies!

• jen_bloom said:

When I looked in a few minutes ago (9:50ish) there were several people in her stall with her again. They've left her alone again for now. Lights are back on in the barn hallway. She seems to be contentedly munching hay. I'd be very surprised if she's going to foal tonight.

Back home from our Prayer service and poked a peek at La Verdad and
    I agree with you, she seems like she is every night thus far. However we can't see other signs which would tell the Mare Manager of something other then. Here's to a safe foaling whenever it happens.
  • KMMKMM Member
    edited March 2018
    She is slowly eating hay in her well lit stall, 11:00 p.m., EST.
  • edited March 2018
    11:46PM EST she is showing early signs of foaling Ears are cocked back , lots of lip licking, kicking her belly with one then the other hind foot. May be a long night if any wish to stay up to witness the event. She is normally quite active in the stall but not tonight also is not inhaling her hay like she normally does. Someone came in at 11:51PM EST to remove a pile of manure and LV seemed glad to see a human about.
  • 12:12 AM EST LOTS of lip licking and she laid down in obvious discomfort staring at her belly and swishing her tail aggressively. After a roll she stood up licking her lips and doing lots of head tossing very unlike this mare the past few nights.
  • EliRose said:

FWIW, sabino IS an overo pattern. Overo just means "not tobiano." I'd be willing to bet that she's one of those grays :)

Oh! I thought sabino and overo were different in genetic make up for the TB pinto coat color. I do know what a tobiano looks like but I read somewhere that the TB does not have tobiano genes/allele in the breed (but in Europe there is a breeding farm with a tobiano racehorse name Angrove Rumbaba. But he's not pure TB unfortunately.) But, what do I know-I'm not an expert in genetics, I just love to learn from the experienced members!

From page 30 in The Genetics discussion- "Dominant White and Extreme Sabino in Thoroughbred Race Horses" https://wizzley.com/dominant-white-and-extreme-sabino-in-thoroughbred-race-horses/

...Maybe that mare was a TB-cross pinto sport horse??...idk

Anyway, you're right @EliRose ...it just may be a very white grey that enjoyed time playing in the mud outside which also caused the lower half of its tail to get stained light brown! LOL!

Sorry to be off topic. Hope I can catch La Verdad foal tonight before or after my seminar! Have a great time everyone watching this exciting event!
    https://foalpatrol.com/horses/la-verdad/blog?nid=243
    @Paniolo_Gal Overo is generally considered an outdated term. Sabino, splash, frame, etc are all a part of the "overo" category. Overo is to sabino what a rectangle is to a square. All sabinos are overo but not all overos are sabino :) Sabino's "full name" is sabino overo.

It's Wikipedia, but Wikipedia's horse color articles are honestly excellent. Plenty of other sources there too:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overo
  • If the grey mare is the one who is turned out with La Verdad she is a grey with a bloody shoulder marking on her side which is common with Greys especially in Arabians. Usually found on a Shoulder but can be presented on any part of the body of a Grey horse.
  • It's now 2:11 AM and LV is just standing with ears back until Matt/Marty the Barn manager comes in to once again remove a pile of Manure. LOL seems LV doesn't appreciate a clean stall as almost every time they remove her pile she goes over and replaces it with another. She is a clean mare though always placing her piles on the far end of the stall right by the 2nd window. No further changes in her attitude or behavoir I can see.
  • EliRose said:

@Paniolo_Gal Overo is generally considered an outdated term. Sabino, splash, frame, etc are all a part of the "overo" category. Overo is to sabino what a rectangle is to a square. All sabinos are overo but not all overos are sabino :) Sabino's "full name" is sabino overo.

It's Wikipedia, but Wikipedia's horse color articles are honestly excellent. Plenty of other sources there too:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overo

Thanks @EliRose! I've moved the rest of this discussion of the "Mystery White Mare" into the Genetics thread on page 30. I didn't want to detract from La Verdad's foaling possibility.
  • Paniolo_GalPaniolo_Gal Member
    edited March 2018
    LOOKS LIKE LA VERDAD WILL WAIT ANOTHER DAY (OR TWO) TO FOAL!
    https://foalpatrol.com/horses/la-verdad
    3/9/18:
    3:00a EST: I returned to my computer only to see that La Verdad is resting peacefully in her stall...nodding her head every now and then while sleeping standing up.
    5:00a EST: Looks like La Verdad put her "timer" on a delay mode after all that excitement last night.
    5:51a EST: I see LV very excited and pacing back and forth in her stall. It turns out an attendant arrived at her stall to fill her bucket (upper left bucket on screen) with grains. Hmmm good says La Verdad...I was hungry!

MEANWHILE...AT THREE CHIMNEYS (Stopchargingmaria and Maria-18):
    https://www.foalpatrol.com/horses/stopchargingmaria/gallery
    3/9/18a 5:55a EST: Oh Oh! I just saw Stopchargingmaria on the Three Chimney's webcam bucking and kicking at her foal (she did it twice) with her ears pinned back just now without really hitting her foal! SCM's body language appears to say hey hey, quit pestering me...gentle, that hurt (her teets perhaps?). First time I observed that reaction from SCM!
  • @Paniolo_Gal

There is a really good video on SCM’s gallery called Mama “Maria” Doing her job that addresses Maria looking ‘aggressive’ towards her filly.

Apparently the little miss is an extremely aggressive nurser and pushy! So Maria is often having to give her a firm ‘talking to’.

The farm is aware of it and says it is Maria being a good firm mom, and people don’t have to worry.
  • Thanks for explaining what I just saw @Zenyen. That makes me feel at ease that the farm is aware of this. But SCM's filly can be a real "mosquito", pestering mama when she is hungry....She'll pester mama to no end when SCM is lying sternal to rest in the stall. SCM is really good at disciplining her little rascal.

Okay...I'll hit the sack now since the sun is rising out in New York
  • KMMKMM Member
    The camera shows pasture and snow. Did they turn her out?
  • edited March 2018
    Yup she is in the snow pasture, Taken there by her owner as they joke on camera that LV decided to make them wait a bit longer. Can see the Video if you scroll down on her Foal Patrol page. It's named "Could It be Today?"
  • Zenyen said:

@Paniolo_Gal

There is a really good video on SCM’s gallery called Mama “Maria” Doing her job that addresses Maria looking ‘aggressive’ towards her filly.

Apparently the little miss is an extremely aggressive nurser and pushy! So Maria is often having to give her a firm ‘talking to’.

The farm is aware of it and says it is Maria being a good firm mom, and people don’t have to worry.

Reminds me of one of my favorite videos:

Mares who don't discipline their foals drive me crazy.
  • Just checked in on La Verdad. She appears to be out in the pasture right now.
  • EliRose said:

Zenyen said:

@Paniolo_Gal

Reminds me of one of my favorite videos:

Mares who don't discipline their foals drive me crazy.
    I love that video!

I can't plug it enough so again, if you haven't listened to the video titled "Mama 'Maria' Doing her Job" on SCM's Foal Patrol page, please, please, please take a moment to listen to it. Very insightful and also reassuring.
  • UPDATE on La Verdad. She's back in her stall and still has her hind leg wrapped. She seems to be comfortable.