Foaling and Newborn Questions & Comments

Comments

• KMMKMM Member
    I get the ears back. She is uncomfortable and wants it over. She is a good lady!
  • jen_bloomjen_bloom Member
    edited March 2018
    La Verdad looks like she misses last night's party in her stall. :) She seems to like interacting with the people who come by.
  • Video by her owner had a Blog entry explaining her legs are a bit swollen and is why they are wrapping them. They are now saying any time between now and Sunday for her to foal. Hope it's Saturday as I am away from the PC all day Sunday :(
  • @EliRose Thanks for that GREAT video of mama disciplining her foal trying to be "King of the Mound"! LOL!

As mentioned by @Zenyen, here again is "Mama Maria Doing Her Job" from SCM's webcam link (scroll down to "Gallery" to see this informative video).
    https://www.foalpatrol.com/horses/stopchargingmaria/gallery

LOOKS LIKE LA VERDAD IS SAYING NOT TONIGHT...
    MAÑANA, MAÑANA, MAÑANA

https://foalpatrol.com/horses/la-verdad
    3/10/18:
    5:00a-6:30a EST: Nothing different happening tonight since I started observing La Verdad. She is currently enjoying her grains and for the past 1-1/2 hour, not showing any signs of discomfort.

As I mentioned in the Genetics thread...At this rate, wouldn't it be interesting if her grey paddock buddy foaled BEFORE La Verdad!
  • @Paniolo_Gal I think the grey paddock buddy might have foaled last night. While I was watching (maybe 10 pm-ish Eastern time?) there was a flurry of activity in the stall across the hall from La Verdad and it appeared to be a mare foaling. I saw the mare walk past the window in her stall, and it was a grey. That's all I know. :) I'm just guessing she foaled, and I hope everything went well.
  • Paniolo_GalPaniolo_Gal Member
    edited March 2018
    Ahh! Thanks for your observation @jen_bloom. So that is why I see La Verdad doing an unusual routine today outside in the paddock. She's probably looking for her grey buddy. Please see what I wrote down before your update below:

LA VERDAD OUTSIDE...
    PACING BACK AND FORTH THIS MORNING!

https://foalpatrol.com/horses/la-verdad
    3/10/18
    8:33am EST: Been observing La Verdad (in the past) who I can recognize as having a slight hitch in her gait as well as her large belly and avoids trotting, etc. unlike the other mares, probably due to her heavy pregnancy. She seems to prefer not to wander too far down in the snow covered paddock from the webcam.
         Today, she keeps retracing used pathways in the snow (for easier footing?) and appears to be walking away from the webcam then turns around and walks back using retraced paths.

8:44a EST: LV finally joins up with the other dark mare(s) near the distant fencing around 2 trees. Oops, I spoke too soon, LV is back doing her back and forth pacing. She keeps looking at something towards the left of the webcam, then goes back to pacing back and forth.
    9:00a EST: LV is still doing the same pacing routine.

Edit:
    9:37-9:42a EST:
    La Verdad and the other two dark mares are heading back towards the near right (off screen) of the webcam. But LV turns around one more time to look for her grey buddy. I have no sound, but she's probably calling out for her buddy. She now heads back down the paddock...looking...and pacing.
    9:44-10:17a EST: La Verdad then walks off the webcam towards the right sniffing the ground along the way. She then reappears (several times) hurriedly searching and looking towards the left of the screen and appears to be calling out. Even with her heavy pregnancy, LV was even seen running in the paddock...searching.

OK...leaving comments to the day shift viewers...I need to hit the sack.
  • jen_bloomjen_bloom Member
    edited March 2018
    I noticed the pacing routine. Could be she's looking for her buddy. My first thought was possibly she's in early labor. I imagine they're watching her closely in case she decides to have a daytime foal.

12:15 edit She's still very active--pacing, had a good roll. I think her belly is starting to look a bit v-shaped.
  • edited March 2018
    If the grey mare foaled then it doesn't look good as I just watched the grey mare standing outside La Verdad's stall with head low and relaxed and they then walk her down the isle and no foal was by her side. Lets pray she didn't lose her foal last night. LV was nickering to her as they walked her down the isle. (earlier tonight when I looked back at when LV came back in her stall.) go back to -3:53:56 to observe this.
  • The grey mare is back in the Foal Patrol camera stall.
  • Do they have only one foaling stall?
  • According to Edition farm's website they have two foaling stalls.
  • Maybe only one is equipped with the webcam.
  • edited March 2018
    I think they are using the Foal Patrol camera to their advantage and hey we may get two foalings for the view of one camera. The Grey mare seems really excited. They wrapped her hind legs earlier tonight when LV came in from the field. Not sure but I would think if The grey mare was showing serious signs of foaling this morning they would not send her out to the field. She sure is a pretty mare.
  • Both stalls have webcams, but only the one feeds Foal Patrol.

Probably they have two mares that look more ready to go tonight and one of the two is not La Verdad.
  • I think they are using the Foal Patrol camera to their advantage and hey we may get two foalings for the view of one camera. The Grey mare seems really excited. They wrapped her hind legs earlier tonight when LV came in from the field. Not sure but I would think if The grey mare was showing serious signs of foaling this morning they would not send her out to the field. She sure is a pretty mare.

I agree. Just checked the cam to find the grey mare on it. Makes me think that she is closer to foaling and La Verdad is gonna wait another day or two?
  • ZenyenZenyen Member
    edited March 2018
    Taking a wild guess, but given her head conformation I would wager that we are watching "It's in his Kiss"

Barn kitty!
  • Just saw a lady check the mares udder then type something into her phone a few moments ago. Mare seems pretty uncomfortable but no other signs.
  • I wonder what I saw last night then? Maybe just a false alarm. There sure were a lot of people looking into the stall across the hall and going in and out of it, which made me think she was foaling.
  • jen_bloom said:

I wonder what I saw last night then? Maybe just a false alarm. There sure were a lot of people looking into the stall across the hall and going in and out of it, which made me think she was foaling.

The farm has 3 grey mares and that's only counting the ladies on their website, not any other clients. It could have been a different grey.

• Zenyen said:

jen_bloom said:

I wonder what I saw last night then? Maybe just a false alarm. There sure were a lot of people looking into the stall across the hall and going in and out of it, which made me think she was foaling.

The farm has 3 grey mares and that's only counting the ladies on their website, not any other clients. It could have been a different grey.

Ah, that's quite possible. That would also explain why I thought the grey I saw last night was darker and dappled.
  • I just received a Foal Patrol text alert that Edition farms is expecting two mares to foal within a few hours but they are NOT La Verdad so we get to enjoy an unplanned foal patrol foaling.
  • The grey mare seems to be licking her lips and/or cribbing alot. I think she might be having contractions also (but it's heard to tell on my laptop.)
  • Zenyen said:

Taking a wild guess, but given her head conformation I would wager that we are watching "It's in his Kiss"

Barn kitty!

Spot on Zenyen the Foal Patrol Text alert just confirmed it is It's in His Kiss in the foal patrol camera stall
  • UPDATE on La Verdad from earlier today.
  • Zenyen said:

Barn kitty!

Spot on Zenyen the Foal Patrol Text alert just confirmed it is It's in His Kiss in the foal patrol camera stall
    Here's some info on It's in His Kiss she's by Yes It's True out of Wake Up Kiss (by Cure The Blues.) She is unraced. No idea who the sire of her foal is. She was bred by Edition Farm.