Foaling and Newborn Questions & Comments

Comments

• edited March 2018
    Foal is here and Mom seemed to have a little problem pushing the foal out but it is breathing and Mom is munching a bit of hay 4:52 AM
  • Paniolo_GalPaniolo_Gal Member
    edited March 2018
    Refer to play-by-play of the foaling on page 6

AT EDITION FARM..."IT'S IN HIS KISS"...STILL NO WORD ON THE SEX OF THE FOAL!
    https://foalpatrol.com/horses/la-verdad/gallery
    3/11/18:
    4:56a EST: Looks like one of the attendants is checking on the afterbirth to see if there are any rips, etc I guess. The foal appears to be dealing with the normal hiccups (head jerking).
    5:00a EST: Ahhh! The farm owner (Vivien Malloy) now gives It's In His Kiss a carrot and is petting her on her neck and head...saying she did a good job.
    5:05a EST: IIHK is very exhausted and has not really moved from her sternal position. She does however turn her head to lick and smell her foal. More loving pets from another attendant...the staff adores this mare. Still resting enjoying some hay (alfalfa?) while laying down.

Will add more to this post shortly...
    5:13a EST: Two staff members lift the foal closer towards the webcam where mama can easily nuzzle and lick her foal. Touching scene right now. Oh! The foal has a nice white star on it's head. I still have not gotten the signal on what sex the baby is...I might have missed it.
  • Pst Vivian is the farm Owner Annette is the Farm Manager :)
  • Pst Vivian is the farm Owner Annette is the Farm Manager :)

Oh oh...so who is the older white haired woman in the webcam? The owner Vivien? I'll edit above if Vivien is the owner. (wink)
    edited March 2018
    AT EDITION FARM..."IT'S IN HIS KISS" IS NOW STANDING UP AND LOOKS PROUD OF HER ACHIEVEMENT INDEED!!
    3/11/18:
    5:20a EST:
    Missed this moment but IIHK is now standing and savoring the moment and stand proud of her beautiful baby.
    5:23a EST: Individual with an orange jacket is now in with a camera phone to take photos of the foal. I can see that the foal has perhaps both hind legs with white socks. I can't see baby's forelegs right now. Okay photo session...mama wants attention too! LOL!

The heavier framed woman is Annette the Barn Manager the older woman who fed IIHK is the Farm Owner Vivian as par the Video about Edition Farm

Okay...thanks! I was rushed trying to input who this classy looking white haired woman was. Sadly, my audio on my computer is not working correctly so I can't hear clearly what the videos are saying. Darn!
  • The heavier framed woman is Annette the Barn Manager the older woman who fed IIHK is the Farm Owner Vivian as par the Video about Edition Farm
  • Pretty thing with what looks like four white leg markings with the left fore and the right hind being higher and a lovely star on the face.
    edited March 2018
    AT EDITION FARM..."IT'S IN HIS KISS" GETS HER TEATS CLEANED...
    3/11/18:
    5:30a EST:
    An attendant with a bucket of whitish looking fluid is now sponging It's In His Kiss's bag and legs and perhaps her vulva area...but I can't see as IIHK's butt is facing away from the webcam.

If anyone sees or hear about the sex of the foal, please post. I need to do a pit stop. Thanks! ❤
    edited March 2018
    AT EDITION FARM..."IT'S IN HIS KISS" PREPPING TO HAVE BABY NURSE...FROM A BOTTLE...MAYBE LATER?...PHOTO SESSIONS RIGHT NOW!
    3/11/18:
    5:37-5:40a EST:
    A male attendant is attaching a leadrope to IIHK's halter. Vivien is now in the stall observing. Another attendant enters with a nursing bottle and I believe is milking IIHK. But I don't have a clear view. The foal is laying quiety and not making attempts to stand up just yet.
    5:44a EST: Another photo session with mama and baby together.

Will add to this post as they come...
    5:50a EST: I stepped away and didn't see if they tried to feed colostrum to the foal who is still lying down. Right now, an attendant in the stall observing foal and mama, then stepped out.
    5:58a EST: Another photo shot of the baby!
    5:59a EST Annette(?) came in to clean the baby's front hooves and nostrils just now.

• edited March 2018
    IIHK is happy to get her grain she looks hungry. Little Hershey's Kiss is thinking about how to make those long noodle legs work but has not attempted to stand yet.
  • IIHK is happy to get her grain she looks hungry. Little Hershey's Kiss is thinking about how to make those long noodle legs work but has not attempted to stand yet.

Oh! Is that the name they are giving the foal? Or just your own pet name. I love it! (wink!)
  • Just my name But the foal does seem brownish so Hershey Kiss seemed fitting for now. They haven't named her last two foals officially yet either.
    edited March 2018
    AT EDITION FARM..."IT'S IN HIS KISS"...
    GETTING BABY TO STAND...BUT WEBCAM WENT DOWN!

3/11/18:
    6:02-6:16a EST:
    Baby has been struggling to get those long legs to cooperate right now...no success getting them to work together however. Baby is trying very, very hard but is thrashing the straw bedding around instead. Mama stands by patiently waiting but calm.
    6:18a EST: Looks like two attendants are now trying to position the foal to stand. Annette? and another male attendant. Nope not yet, the foal is a bit too wet and slippery. Annette(?) got a dry towel and is wiping the foal. Annette appears to be calling out to someone in the barn corridor.
    6:21a EST: DARN! They just turned off the webcam at Edition Farm! :broken_heart:
  • edited March 2018
    Not getting a good feeling here. I know some foals take longer but before the camera went off Annette examined the foal and looked at Vivian and slowly shook her head no like frustrated. Seconds before that she seemed to be pulling some stuff out of it's nose and mouth. Also notice that the mare seems quite disinterested in the foal almost to the point of ignoring it. None of this is a good thing. Gonna go pray for IIHK and the whole foaling team that nothing is wrong with IIHK-18
  • Granted my very limited foaling experience is with pasture bred and foaled QH, but for as how hands on TB people are, they weren't in any hurry to check that foal out. It's been on its right side for almost 2 hours.
  • Hmmm...hoping the foal will pull through alright. I hope it's not something like what happened to Z16 by War Front (meconium aspiration syndrome) when you mentioned pulling something out of the foal's nostrils/mouth. Thinking positively and praying for the best outcome as well for the foal and It's In His Kiss.
  • I was thinking more a Red Bag as the way they yanked the foal out the minute It's In His Kiss laid down and just began pushing. Though it was born alive Red Bag deliveries are never a good beginning. Well I am off to bed lets all just pray and ask the Lord above to give the foal strength and let us all be enjoying a lovely standing and nursing foal later on when the camera comes back online. BTW the Web Cam usually went offline around this time and came back on at around 7 to 7:30AM.
  • Well, the idea of the camera having a scheduled lunch break at this time is comforting. Fingers crossed for Baby Kiss.
    edited March 2018
    AT EDITION FARM...THE FOALING STALL WEBCAM IS BACK UP...BUT IT IS JUST AN EMPTY STALL...
    3/11/18:
    8:00a EST:
    I happen to return to my computer and found that the foaling stall webcam at Edition Farm is back up. I'm not sure how long ago it's been up however. The status of It's In His Kiss and foal is still a mystery as the foaling stall is cleaned and vacant.
    8:35a EST: The webcam now shows the outdoor paddock. A solitary dark colored mare is found standing looking towards the left of the screen. I haven't seen her walking, but I believe this is La Verdad. She's probably looking for her grey pasture buddy, It's In His Kiss. I don't see the other dark colored mares in the paddock unless they are off screen towards the right.
    Edit:
    9:00a EST: From her characteristic walk, it is indeed La Verdad. She stands by the heated watering post...looking out once again to the left.
    9:13a EST: The outdoor live webcam went offline for just a moment...but it's back up. Phew! I now see La Verdad walking along her well-worn pathway in the snow doing her pacing routine once again.
    9:17a EST: La Verdad now walks off to the right. The outdoor webcam appears to keep flickering off and on.
  • On the Foal Patrol Facebook page Matthew(Foal watch night manager) says there will be something stated later tonight. Sadly one poster brought up the comment of Meconium Aspiration and Matthew didn't say yes but almost immediately said there will be a report up later today. I would say It's In His Kiss and baby-18 are at the Vets and the foal is fighting for it's life or has gone on to the great race track of the Lords, but that is only speculating as no word either way has been confirmed. Off to church now for me catch you all later.
    edited March 2018
    AT EDITION FARM: I SAW THEM TRYING TO STIMULATE IT'S IN HIS KISS'S FOAL WITH HEAVY RUBBING AROUND IT'S CHEST BEFORE THE WEBCAM WAS TURNED OFF
    Oh dear! I'm afraid to find out what they will reveal to us regarding It's In His Kiss's foal. When I was watching the live foaling, the birth sac was rather whitish and not red in color when they lifted the sac up to inspect it for tears, etc. So I didn't think it was a red bag foaling. However, the foal was rather lethargic...maybe suffering from the "Dummy Foal Syndrome" (Neonatal Maladjustment) where it is possible to revive the foal using the Madigan Foal Squeeze. I hope it's not a Meconium Aspiration Syndrome when I first posted this condition above. i really regret mentioning that condition.

Praying that the foal can recover...if not, I hope it didn't suffer if it had to be put to sleep. :broken_heart:

Please keep me posted on any updates as I will be closing shop now to get enough sleep to meet my clients this afternoon.
  • KetaKeta Member
    Several observations-these are not meant to be anything but that.
    I am not a foaling expert. Please factor that in.
    1. As PG said in her excellent log, there seemed to be quite a bit of
    human intervention during the foaling. Meaning opening the sac & tugging on foal.
    2, There was quite a bit of work done on the foal.
    Vigorous drying by humans. Did not bring to mare for quite some time
    This was done by dragging the foal over. It's In His Kiss began licking it.
    3. I was surprised to see someone "milk" It's In His Kiss.
    A plastic bag was filled and taken out of the stall. Thought maybe it was
    being transferred to a bottle for the foal who was struggling . if it was, I didn't see that.
    My understanding is that first milk is important to the foal for immunities etc
    4. If anyone was checking the mouth & breathing passage, I missed it.
    5. Wondered if there was a vet in attendance. Didn't think there was.
    6. I stayed for an hour after foaling. Foal struggled to get up. The primary help I saw was straightening the front legs. To me, it was the back legs that seened to be the problem. The foal was dragged several times by back legs to move it.
    7. Taking photos on phones was a priority. Nor just a couple of shots
    But many by several different people.
    8, The foal was down, on its side, and not moving for 20 minutes. I thought it had passed. Then it lifted its head slightly.
    i went back to bed praying for both.
    Keta
  • KetaKeta Member
    It's In His Kiss did have a colt in 2017
    2017 It's In His Kiss, colt
    (Mission Impazible x It's In His Kiss)
    Born 4/8/2017, grey/ brown, colt
    Here is the link
    https://www.editionfarm.com/foals-2017/
  • Does not explain the apparent weakness of the foal but...the milking of the mare if it were to continue might indicate neonatal isoerythrolysis. That is one posdibility for not allowing the foal to access the mothers colostrum.
    Not claiming that is the case here. Just letting you know one possible reason for discarding what is normally best for a foal.

Didnt watch the foaling but it definetly sounds like something is not quite right. Hopefully it is something easily resolved
  • "It's In His Kiss" delivered a beautiful filly at approximately 4:40 this morning. Mama and baby are doing fine and have been moved to another stall.

https://foalpatrol.com/horses/la-verdad/blog