Foaling and Newborn Questions & Comments

Comments

• YES! That was a heck of a foaling and a HUGE baby!
  • edited February 25
    Scary foaling and Thankfully 5 staff members on hand to pull the stuck at the hip colt out. He stood and nursed and now just passed the meconium. Beautiful Bay colt. Now seems Magical World is having issues with dropping the Placenta.
  • bleubettybleubetty Member
    edited February 25
    This foaling was Stressful to watch --- I think it was difficult for Magical World AND the foal :/
    They are still in and out of the stall, are they worried about the foal?

Edit: They have already posted a video addressing the "challenging" delivery
  • Gunner Runner x Magical World, colt

• Thanks.
    They were outside for several hours in a round pen. Baby up and around... trying to get mom up... much of the time.
  • Here are the mares (and stallion) cam links so people don't have to dig through old posts to find them.

Gun Runner (stallion) Three Chimney's Farm: https://www.foalpatrol.com/horses/gun-runner
    Magical World (Distorted Humor - Pleasant Home, By Seeking the Gold) owned/boarded by Three Chimney's Farm. In foal to Gun Runner and due 02/14. https://www.foalpatrol.com/horses/magical-world
    New Money Honey (Medaglia d'Oro - Weekend Whim, By Distorted Humor) owned by e5 Racing Thoroughbreds and boarded at Indian Creek Farm. In foal to War Front and due 02/21. https://www.foalpatrol.com/horses/new-money-honey
    Ashado (Saint Ballado - Goulash, By Mari's Book) owned and boarded at Godolphin (Gainsborough Farm). In foal to Frosted and due 02/23. https://www.foalpatrol.com/horses/ashado
    Vaulcluse (A.P. Indy - Betty's Pet, By Dehere) owned by Antony Beck and boarded at Gainesway Farm. In foal to War Front and due 03/16. https://www.foalpatrol.com/horses/vaulcluse
    Alpine Sky (Indian Charile - Alpine Garden, By Lemon Drop Kid) owned/boarded at Old Tavern Farm. In foal to More Than Ready and due 04/21. https://www.foalpatrol.com/horses/alpine-sky
    Emotional Kitten (Kitten's Joy - Silent Emotion, By Ghazi) owned by Lael Stables and boarded at Denali Stud. In foal to Dialed In and due 04/25. https://www.foalpatrol.com/horses/emotional-kitten

just bumping this to make it easier to find Magical World had a colt on 2/24 and both New Money Honey and Ashado are over due.
  • Blog update on Ashado!

Ashado is showing wax
    Ashado
    February 26th, 2020

Ashado has a hint of wax this morning. Gainsborough Farm decided to perform an episiotomy to prepare her body for delivery. They still think she has a little while to go.

Additionally, Ashsdo has a protective hood pack on her hoof as she recovers from a foot abscess. The abscess has cleared up but we will maintain a pack on until the sole fills in to stop any dirt/ debris getting in there.

stay tuned!
  • Not half, I thought average thoroughbred foal was about 100 lbs, so he is one big boy. No wonder he has ALD issues as cant have been much room for the legs in the mare. Saw the birth live and it was clear that there was a lot of leg re-positioning going on by the senior foaling hand. Was pretty badly hip locked to boot. Well done to get the foal out alive. I guess the mare is pretty banged up though and I would be surprised if they breed her on her foal heat.
  • racingfan said:

Not half, I thought average thoroughbred foal was about 100 lbs, so he is one big boy. No wonder he has ALD issues as cant have been much room for the legs in the mare. Saw the birth live and it was clear that there was a lot of leg re-positioning going on by the senior foaling hand. Was pretty badly hip locked to boot. Well done to get the foal out alive. I guess the mare is pretty banged up though and I would be surprised if they breed her on her foal heat.

knew they were attempting to determine the position of the foal --- I honestly thought it might be a breech birth situation. I was really worried about both the mare and the foal making it thru this difficult foaling. Wonder if the foal is going to require some corrective procedure on his legs --- splints, casts, etc or will he be able to "outgrow" the ALD issues? I hope they don' t breed Magical World on her foal heat --- I think she needs to heal ------

• Blog update on Ashado!

Ashado
    Ashado
    February 27th, 2020

Ashado continues to progress at Gainsborough Farm. The farm staff shared that this will be her eleventh foal and after montitoring and watching her over the years, she is has a pretty regular pattern of delivering 10-11 days late.

Out of those 10 foals, 5 have been winners. Her 2014 Bernardini colt, WESTWOOD won the Listed Runhappy Stakes. 3 of her daughters, all winners, are currently in the foaling barn at Gainsborough Farm with her including Regent’s House, 9, by Street Cry is in foal to Bernardini and was due 2/15. Alfresco, 5, by Tapit is in foal to Street Boss and was due 2/25. Beautify, 4, by Lemon Drop Kid is in foal to Bernardini and was due 2/15.

She has shown wax on her udder over the past few days. We will continue to provide updates from the farm as details are available.

Stay tuned!
  • KMMKMM Member
    Wow! Hard to believe she has had 11 foals. Remember her racing days.
  • Update on New Money Honey:

New Money Honey is happy in her paddock
    New Money Honey
    February 28th, 2020

News from Indian Creek Farm:

"We have been waiting for something to happen to give you a more interesting progress update but New Money Honey has been thoroughly content and happy out in her paddock eating grass. Her bag is getting a little larger but still not full. She will move over to her foaling stall next week as she continues to progress."

She is getting closer each day so we will see when this maiden mare delivers her first baby!
  • Update on Ashado!

Ashado has heavy wax and is moving closer to delivery
    Ashado
    March 1st, 2020

Ashado showed heavy wax this morning and the farm staff at Gainsborough Farm think she is getting closer to delivery. Considering the warmer temperatures which can sometimes move things along, she had a chilled day just grazing outside and is now doing the same in her stall.

She is moving closer but only nature knows when she will foal. Follow along to see!
  • edited March 2
    Who else says it is a colt baking inside Ashado? We already know that New Money Honey is having a filly .
  • Every time I check on Magical World and her Gun Runner colt, he is either nursing or sleeping --- that big boy is a real chowhound!
    Question for the Forum: will this colt's legs "self correct" or will he need some kind of procedure done to help fix the issue?
  • bleubetty said:

Every time I check on Magical World and her Gun Runner colt, he is either nursing or sleeping --- that big boy is a real chowhound!
    Question for the Forum: will this colt's legs "self correct" or will he need some kind of procedure done to help fix the issue?

I think this is your answer, I guess they gave it a week to self correct. They wiil also have administered oxy soon after birth to fix the contracted tendons in his forelegs

Magical World '20 gets a medical extension shoe
    Magical World
    March 2nd, 2020
    Magical World and her colt spent more time together outdoors this weekend and are bonding more and more everyday. Chris Baker informed us of this update:
    This morning, the farm staff will put a medial extension shoe on the right hind foot of Magical World '20. The shoe will be adhered to his foot with Equilox, a commonly used adhesive and reconstructive compound used by farriers in horses of all ages and types.
    This support shoe is necessary because of the windswept and valgus conformation of his right hind lower limb and fetlock/pastern. With the support the shoe will provide, the affected limb will quickly strengthen and self correct. Long term, there will be no ill effects from this issue of in utero positioning origin or the use of the support shoe to hasten its correction. We have done this many times, usually to 2-3 foals a season, with good results.
    Once the shoe is applied and doing its job, the colt will transfer barns and be turned out in a paddock with Magical World versus the pen he has been in the past 5 days.
  • Update on New Money Honey:

New Money Honey closer and closer
    New Money Honey
    March 2nd, 2020

New Money Honey continues to progress as the staff at Indian Creek Farm monitor her. Prior to foaling, the farm did a blood screening to check if her foal will be predisposed to developing Neonatal Isoerythrolysis (NI) after delivery. NI happens when the foal ingests colostrum or first milk that has antibodies directed towards the red blood cells of the foal. New Money Honey showed a positive result for this test so, the farm will take precautions following the birth. Below is an article from Lexington Equine Medical describing NI and steps taken to for the foal.

"Around two weeks prior to foaling, the veterinarian will take a blood sample from the mare to determine whether her foal is predisposed to developing Neonatal Isoerythrolysis (NI) after birth. NI occurs when a foal ingests colostrum containing antibodies directed against its red blood cells (RBC’s). Affected foals will show signs such as yellow gums and sclera (white part of the eye), weakness, lethargy, recumbency, and red-colored urine. This syndrome may ultimately be fatal. The best way to prevent NI is to test the blood of the mare for the presence of antibodies against RBC antigens, commonly referred to as an “NI Screen”. If the blood test comes back as positive, preventative measures can be taken to ensure that the foal does not consume the mare’s colostrum. The mare should be milked out, and the foal should be muzzled while simultaneously provided colostrum or antibodies from a known safe source (i.e. banked colostrum that has undergone testing) after birth.

Prior to foaling and typically at the same time that we are performing an NI screen, the mare will have an episiotomy. The labia are locally anesthetized with lidocaine and then carefully incised. This allows for normal passage of the foal during the birthing process and reduces tearing of the mare’s perineum."
  • whoodlerwhoodler Member
    Today's text message said tonight will probably be the night for Ashado.
  • LOL Ashado decided the storm was not a good time to foal so we are back on wait and see mode for Ashado.
  • Update on Ashado!

Ashado holding out!
    Ashado
    March 3rd, 2020

Ashado held off in delivering her foal last night. Gainsborough Farm stayed up to check-in and monitor her through the night. The farm manager shared this update "We had some wind and heavy rain blow through Kentucky late last night and that may have set her back a little. She will be turned out in her regular paddock and we will watch her from there today."

Continue watching!
  • whoodlerwhoodler Member
    New stall for New Money Honey.
  • Update on New Money Honey!

New Money Honey has heavy wax and is moving to the foaling stall tonight
    New Money Honey
    March 3rd, 2020

New Money Honey is showing heavy wax this evening. She is presenting signs of foaling and the team at Indian Creek has decided to move her to the foaling stall at the farm. We are working to move the live streaming camera to that new location this evening in preparation of her delivery. The farm staff has also setup a video camera to film the birth in case there is any interruption in coverage. Keep following and stay tuned!

Correction to a previous article: New Money Honey came back with a negative (not positive) result for the NI screening. That article lists what is done at farms when the result is positive to keep the foal safe.