Justify (Scat Daddy - Stage Magic, by Ghostzapper)

Comments

• According to the unanimous opinion of the talking heads on NBC's racing program yesterday, they will, each and every one, be 100% surprised if he EVER runs again.
  • KMMKMM Member
    I think they'll at least run him in the BCC and 1 prep race before it.
  • The point is his owners are mum
    and Baffert has been unusually ho hum wait and see and no comment.

On one hand you have retired undefeated Triple Crown winner (never mind only 6 races)
    vs
    on the other hand retired slightly undefeated Triple Crown winner regardless of the number of races plus the possibility of injury during training/racing.

• I could see him mysteriously given a "break" at WinStar only to be retired and never return. But I still think the connections would still like to give him a BCC run. But you have to consider how he bounces back. I don't think the "thriving on racing" comments were necessarily true.
  • I still believe the thriving etc.
    I don't think he's not running... or even training... is because there's something wrong with him OR because of the heat. (The heat is just as hot for all the horses that ARE training and racing.)
    I think it boils down to deciding which way brings him the most value in the breeding shed.

And if the thriving idea is correct, they are screwing up his chances by NOT working him.
  • LionessLioness Member
    edited July 2018
    Baffert said he's a "normal" horse who was tired after his TC campaign and lost weight (where my comment about "thriving on racing" came from, to where he needs it often and is not impacted), so he has backed off him for the time being until he gains it back or until the heat stops. The heat wasn't the intial pause button but they are keeping him there even if he gains back the weight while it's still hot. I believe him about the weight. Just not sure if he'll come back.
  • whoodlerwhoodler Member
    edited July 2018
    Sorry. Still seems... odd. Losing weight is a normal thing, even after just one race. Or one travel event. But he was continually touted as GAINING weight... ie: thriving... on the schedule.
    Then, whamo. It all just falls apart?
    I just don't buy it
    Of course, Baffert could tell me the sun is coming up tomorrow... doesn't even have to specify "in the east"... and I'd have my doubts. nThe thing is, he isn't saying anything.
    Which is even more suspicious.
    To me.

I would LOVE to see him run the rest of this year and at least next year. Face older horses. Win or lose, I want him to prove to me that he's worthy to be considered exceptionally good.
    And not just a timed out prodigy.

On the other hand, it's not MY money.
  • I just finished reading the comments on Justify's racing future (or not). I have to admit, it hadn't occurred to me that we may have seen his last race when he won the Belmont on June 9. Tomorrow (July 9) is one month from that victory. I wasn't thinking anything was out of the ordinary by giving him a month off. Chrome was sent to Harris Farm for a month or more after the Belmont and didn't reappear again for a race until Sept 20. But there are some good points being made about why we may not see Justify race again.
  • My take on what was said on tv yesterday is NOT that there is anything wrong with him but his connections are weighing the FINANCIAL variables and Baffert has nothing to say in that.
  • LionessLioness Member
    edited July 2018
    Well, I saw the broadcast and missed that part, but I did see them talking extensively about whether or not he would make the Haskell...which is obviously a big no. But again, while Baffert hasn't been the most honest with him (remembering the post-Derby debacle), I can believe that he has lost weight. But, I also believe that the connections are pondering the future, though I know WinStar said they initially wanted to go to Saratoga with him.
  • KMMKMM Member
    Is there something wrong with him?
  • jaefeatheredjaefeathered Member
    edited July 2018
    He had filling in his ankle. We'll have to see if he ever races again =(

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/228479/justify-to-undergo-evaluation-racing-plans-on-hold
  • KMMKMM Member
    Saw the article in BH, but thanks Jae!
  • WHAT a surprise!
  • I was holding out hope that he might get another chance to wipe out the awful taste I still have in my mouth from the Derby, but with this from Baffert: "I don’t know what his plans are. I don’t even know if he’ll be able to make the Breeders Cup," I'll fully jump on the he's-going-to-be-retired bandwagon. I can see the press release now in two weeks, "Since we were not going to be able to make the Breeders' Cup as hoped for, we are going to send him to WinStar now."
  • The money is ALWAYS the deciding factor.
    This one I'm not pasting in the Baffert column.
  • I've got a weird theory that the filling in his ankle is because he's not been doing enough. Not because he's been doing too much. Either that or he just took a bad step and strained a muscle in the ankle/pastern area slightly. Just ice and gentle exercise and he'll be fine.

And the weight loss is from him getting bored and stressing out. Like, he's been on go from debut and now he gets a break that's not normal for him and he's looking around going, umm... Guys? Do I get to run at all? Guys?!!!!

I could be wrong, but that's okay. It's not like they'll take my thoughts to heart anyway.
  • KMMKMM Member
    I'd give it a couple of weeks like Baffert said.
  • Triple Crown Winner Justify in Recovery Mode at Del Mar

Triple Crown winner Justify made his first appearance at Del Mar Monday morning, a "meet and greet" with the San Diego County media conducted by Hall of Fame trainer Bob Baffert.

Justify looked as imposing as he had at all points through six straight victories in a career begun early this year with the last three coming in the Kentucky Derby Presented by Woodford Reserve (G1), Preakness Stakes (G1), and Belmont Stakes Presented by NYRA Bets (G1).
    Learn More

Led around by assistant trainer Jim Barnes awaiting his turn at the wash mat, the big chestnut turned to face the variety of cameras aimed at him through the bathing procedure so all could get a good angle. Afterward, while walking around the stable area, he reared up and pawed the air briefly before Barnes coolly brought him back under control.

Feisty as Justify is by nature, and good as he looks, he's currently under observation after a filling (swelling or inflammation) discovered in his left front ankle about two weeks ago. It subsided, then came back after light exercise. Baffert moved his second Triple Crown winner in the last four years to Del Mar to personally monitor daily developments before any decision is made regarding his racing career.

more
    https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/228568/triple-crown-winner-justify-in-recovery-mode-at-del-mar
  • WezzieWezzie Member
    Not surprised but disappointed. :/