Justify (Scat Daddy - Stage Magic, by Ghostzapper)

Comments

• Honestly, I guarantee with turnout at the farm his swelling will go down in nothing flat and he'll be ready to go again. I wish they'd bring him back at 4.... Gagh. Ah well. At least he gets to retire unbeaten, the only Triple Crown winner to do so.
  • ZenyenZenyen Member
    It would not surprise me if there is no swelling and never has been.

Justify was never sent to Rood and Riddle or any vet hospital for a nuclear scan, which is SOP for a horse who isn't 100% and isn't responding to rest/treatment. Nuclear scans find the bone bruises and the little things that will cause swelling. Then owners can target an actual ailment to treat, as well as make determinations about next step with the horse.

The minute Justify crossed the finish line in the Belmont, he became a nightmare to insure and of priceless value. This is big, BIG money on all sides and I would not be surprised to learn that they could not find an insurance company willing to underwrite a policy that would keep him in training.

The 'filling' in the ankle was a ready made stop gap, that allowed Baffert to stop sending him to the track at all while the owners, insurance companies and Coolmore talked behind the scenes and crunched the monetary numbers of keeping him in training/racing through the BCC.

Apparently, the outcome of those discussions was not favorable for Justify to continue racing. So now he's officially retired.
  • RachelRachel Member
    There's so many things that people dont know or understand about racing. We learn them here on these forums.
  • whoodlerwhoodler Member
    edited July 2018
    Totally agree with Z.

I understand all that went into the decision and he belongs to someone besides me so what I wanted doesn't matter a lick.

And Justify goes down in the books as a TC winner and nothing more.
  • RachelRachel Member
    He stands alongside Seattle Slew as the only other unbeaten TC winner.
  • He also stands alongside Count Fleet as the only other Triple Crown winner to never race again. Count Fleet was injured in his Belmont, was supposed to come back at 4, but kept on randomly hurting himself and was therefore retired. But he ran nearly 4 times as much as Justify did in his career.
  • You must know a different Seattle Slew than I do.
  • KMMKMM Member
    I think she was referring to Count Fleet
  • Seattle Slew raced through the Triple Crown undefeated.
  • whoodlerwhoodler Member
    edited July 2018
    That doesn't work either.
    SS ran 17 times and won 14.
    CF ran 26 and won 21.

Justify may have run only 6 times... ever... but at least he won all 6.
    Retiring now means he never will be defeated, racewise.
    It also means he will never be tested (and found wanting.)

Quit while you're ahead....
  • Seattle Slew is known as an unbeaten Triple Crown winner because he was not beaten until AFTER his Belmont Stakes. Therefore Justify fits there, even though he raced a third of the number of times that Seattle Slew did and never had a chance to lose.

Count Fleet had 4x as many outings as Justify but did not race after his Belmont Stakes. He and Justify are the only two Triple Crown winners to have done that.

But Justify is the ONLY Triple Crown winner to have never raced at 2 and to have made less than 10 starts in his career, as well as RETIRE unbeaten.

And, personally, his Horse of the Year title is not assured because of a Triple Crown win. AP proved himself superior to the older horses in the Classic and earned his honors. But if Monomoy Girl continues on her roll, especially if she takes on the boys, she deserves a look at the honor, as does any older male or even 3yo who dominates his division. The season did not end on June 9.
  • No surprise here but still sad! Just glad I saw all his three races at Santa Anita, of course, not knowing he will be the TCW!! I would have taken a lot more pix...
  • RachelRachel Member
    I knew I wasnt crazy lol I was getting my info based off Bloodhorse articles i read on Justify.
  • RachelRachel Member
    Also, dont forget Wonder Gadot who beat males to take the 2nd leg of the Canadian TC. She may go against Monomoy Girl at Saratoga however.
  • EliRoseEliRose Member
    edited July 2018
    Monomoy Girl almost certainly isn't running the Alabama because of the distance. According to her connections she either runs next in the Cotillion or the Penn Derby if they put up an extra quarter million.
  • I know the "experts" consider Slew as "undefeated TC winner" for the reason stated. Totally unreasonable semantics or phrasing.
    More TB-speak.
    Justify IS the ONLY undefeated TC winner but his record is sad compared to any other TC winner.
  • bleubettybleubetty Member
    edited July 2018
    I am truly disappointed in the decision to retire Justify, but not at all surprised by this news. I agree with @Zenyen , his retirement was probably determined after his Triple Crown win at Belmont. Money and insurance were the determining factor, not a minor injury, real or fabricated.

I have enjoyed following Justify's brief but still amazing racing career. He only raced six times but certainly deserves credit for what he accomplished in 112 days. He'll always be in the record books as a Triple Crown winner who never raced as a two year old colt. (First to win the Kentucky Derby, without a race as a two year old colt, since Apollo in 1882) He is a a big, powerful, beautiful chestnut colt and I wish I could have seen him compete at least thru the BC Classic.

I have been reading posts and articles on Justify for the past several weeks, in anticipation of the announcement that he would be retired. Supposedly, at auction when he was a yearling, Coolmore passed on him because of their vet check. As a yearling, Justify had an issue that required surgery. According to the article, Tanya Gunther stated that x-rays revealed that he had "oslechondritis dissecans" in the stifle joint, meaning bone did not develop properly and had surgery to correct the issue.

Coolmore passed on Justify when they could have purchased him for $500,000 in 2016. Now they want him, wonder what that's going to cost them? It's just money ---- they want two (2) Triple Crown winners in their stallion barn! Wonder what Justify's Stud Fee will be ----any guesses? I say between $75,000 & $100,000

• I think we would be looking at a very different scenario if Scat Daddy hadn't met an untimely demise. Yes, Coolmore is interested on having a monopoly on Triple Crown winners, so they don't lose market competition. However, what they are really after in Justify is a successor to Scat Daddy. If he wasn't by Scat Daddy, his stud value wouldn't be that high. It would be high; don't get me wrong. But it wouldn't be high enough to not race through the end of the season, especially when he didn't race as a two year old. With Scat Daddy being gone, Justify will get an absolutely fantastic first book of mares. He could cement his legacy in the shed, as I don't think history will be too kind to him looking back to him on his trackside accomplishments among the other TC winners.
  • edited July 2018
    Oh, I could say so much about this 'injury' and owner greed, etc. But I will bite my tongue and only say that the WinStar guy that came up to me in April at Ricardo's in Versailles Kentucky and told me Justify would "make me forget all about Chrome" couldn't have been more wrong. :p
  • KMMKMM Member
    edited July 2018
    It is not owner greed. It is a business decision. As much as we love these horses, they are not pets. They are invested in, sometimes by many parties. Apart from the fun and games of owning a racehorse, one such as Justify is about that investment, and how much his foals will bring commercially, and how successful they will be on the track.
  • edited July 2018
    KMM said:

It is not owner greed. It is a business decision.

I don't see the difference. I understand that they want to make money, but running a popular horse only six times will, eventually, destroy the fans' interest in horse racing and thus destroy horse racing. It's the goose and the golden egg situation. Kill(or in this situation, retire) the goose, end the golden eggs. (bringing in fans to the track) What difference does it make if Justify sires good foals, if no one comes to see them run?

• KMMKMM Member
    There are many more fan favorites out there. His retirement isn't the end of horse racing fandom.
  • Since the speculation is they couldn't find an insurance company to cover Justify through the BC Classic (assuming he was fit to run), it makes me wonder who insured American Pharoah after his Triple Crown and through his BC Classic win.
  • It is a business.
    And yes, fans get "attached" to certain horses... probably not as many fans among the betting population as those who just like to watch horses run. Owners and trainers and others around the horses get attached too.
    BUT there are often HUGE amounts of money involved. So these decisions are never taken lightly.
    I would like to see Justify prove himself. Sorry to those who disagree, but I am not only UNimpressed by his not running as a 2 YO, I put it in the debit column. And his 6 wins in 112 days shrieks "flash in the pan."
    We each have a personal take on the situation.
    None of us has any stake in it.