Justify (Scat Daddy - Stage Magic, by Ghostzapper)

Comments

• So agree!
    I do think a lot of the colts who did so well and were so exciting to watch early this year... those with that touted 2 YO experience... were early bloomers and have needed some time in the last few months to catch up with THEMSELVES and their own physical growth... not to mention attitudes. Given that time and given the opportunity later in the year... and, Hopefully, NEXT... we're headed for some extra special racing. The "late blooming" advantage (even if it was because of physical issues) was Justify's
  • Trying to decide if I want to see him Parade at Del Mar.
  • If you've not seen him in person, it would be a nice memory.
  • I like Justify, too, and I can definitely see a place for a fantasy horse-racing game, but the whole point of horse racing is to actually have them race against each other, not imagine which one would win an imaginary race. I'm disappointed he'll never have a chance to prove he's more than a flash in the pan. But then I've never really gotten over Secretariat not getting to have a four-year-old season.
  • With Secretariat, though, everyone knew that he would be retired at the end of his three-year-old season, even before the Triple Crown. Some suspected he wouldn't even race after his stunning Belmont, so we're lucky we got that in the history books (I was born the year Real Quiet nearly won the TC, so too late to even meet the big horse). Justify will never have a conclusive page in the history books, due to only having HALF a season. Secretariat at least gave us two glorious years.
  • Secretariat also got to run on grass twice and to face older horses several times, including the top grass horse and the previous year's Derby winner (his stablemate Riva Ridge), so he definitely packed a lot into his two years of racing. But I've always felt like he was learning and changing toward the end of his three year old year and I just wish I could have seen what came of that. Of course, anytime they race they risk a breakdown and I really can't blame anybody for retiring their horse. I guess I'm a little bit conflicted. :p
  • It was wonderful to see Justify one more time live, what a beautiful horse! And the thrill (even if it was short) he gave us... Amidst all the talk about the possible Kentucky Derby winner like Good Magic ,Bolt d'Oro, Magnum Moon etc. he showed up assessed the situation and delivered like Veni Vidi Vici (i came I saw i won)
    So happy retirement and good luck!

• Today's Haskell.....just another reason why Justify's retirement leaves so many unanswered questions.
  • RachelRachel Member
    Remember when Baffert said he would loveto put a Western saddle on Justify? Well, he did just that! It's a custom Western Saddle with Two Time Triple Crown Trainer on it. American Pharoah 2015 and Justify 2018 on it as well. I dont know why there is the color pink in there but ok. Pretty fancy saddle for sure and it looks good on Justify.
  • ZenyenZenyen Member
    https://www.facebook.com/usherbrand/posts/2302292979788157

Link to where the pictures are located on Facebook.
  • edited August 2018
    Triple Crown winner Justify steps off the van at WinStar Farm.

Need Clarification: He just arrived at WinStar. Someone said Coolmore was behind the retirement of Justify. There are so many "owners" in this Justify consortium, was/is Coolmore part of the consortium?

https://www.facebook.com/thoroughbreddailynews/videos/10156025686892670/?hc_ref=ARTpKKjXKGXmsdNt86xmqYeb8p5P23K_aMnXNEL1B5gBsI3gwJ8lSx4gXMIr92dIH7o&fref=nf&hc_location=group
  • I've read in several places that Coolmore is trying to buy him, but they're still finalizing stuff and nothing will be set until the fall. I'm guessing trying to work out where he'll end up standing next year, what percentages of ownership everybody will have, and that sort of thing. I wouldn't mind Coolmore partnering with WinStar in Justify, but I hope he stays at WinStar. I would love to see him ridden and doing more than the hand walking he'll get at Ashford. Besides, two Triple Crown winners in one barn is a bit much for my taste.
  • A number of the "owners" just have a racing interest, not a stud interest.
  • Thanks mrsrebaker and whoodler. That was helpful.
  • I've heard that they're waiting until the fall for tax reasons, because they will have owned him for two years at that point. That would make a lot of sense to me, if true.
  • I've read in several places that Coolmore is trying to buy him, but they're still finalizing stuff and nothing will be set until the fall. I'm guessing trying to work out where he'll end up standing next year, what percentages of ownership everybody will have, and that sort of thing. I wouldn't mind Coolmore partnering with WinStar in Justify, but I hope he stays at WinStar. I would love to see him ridden and doing more than the hand walking he'll get at Ashford. Besides, two Triple Crown winners in one barn is a bit much for my taste.

What makes you think, if Coolmore ends up as the majority owner, Justify would stay in the US?

On paper, he'd be a very enticing prospect to cross with all the Galileo and Frankel mares over in Europe. More so than American Pharoah.

• LionessLioness Member
    edited August 2018

I've read in several places that Coolmore is trying to buy him, but they're still finalizing stuff and nothing will be set until the fall. I'm guessing trying to work out where he'll end up standing next year, what percentages of ownership everybody will have, and that sort of thing. I wouldn't mind Coolmore partnering with WinStar in Justify, but I hope he stays at WinStar. I would love to see him ridden and doing more than the hand walking he'll get at Ashford. Besides, two Triple Crown winners in one barn is a bit much for my taste.

I do like how WInStar rides their stallions (if sound enough, of course), and they have a beautiful facility. However, if the deal goes through, I see Coolmore getting majority ownership, and he'll probably be at Ashford then, probably shuttling to Australia like AP too since Scat Daddy's have done well overseas.
  • KMMKMM Member
    And they do love Scat Daddy in Europe.
  • Zenyen said:

I've read in several places that Coolmore is trying to buy him, but they're still finalizing stuff and nothing will be set until the fall. I'm guessing trying to work out where he'll end up standing next year, what percentages of ownership everybody will have, and that sort of thing. I wouldn't mind Coolmore partnering with WinStar in Justify, but I hope he stays at WinStar. I would love to see him ridden and doing more than the hand walking he'll get at Ashford. Besides, two Triple Crown winners in one barn is a bit much for my taste.

What makes you think, if Coolmore ends up as the majority owner, Justify would stay in the US?

On paper, he'd be a very enticing prospect to cross with all the Galileo and Frankel mares over in Europe. More so than American Pharoah.

That is true also, and could be a good way to break up the marketing of two TC winners.
  • Coolmore already has Caravaggio over in Europe though, so it's not like they're lacking Scat Daddy bloodlines. If anything, I'd expect Mendelssohn to stay in Europe instead of coming here, rather than having Justify ship all the way to Europe. Justify is much more popular here, so I would be very very surprised if they take him back to Ireland.
  • Coolmore already has Caravaggio over in Europe though, so it's not like they're lacking Scat Daddy bloodlines. If anything, I'd expect Mendelssohn to stay in Europe instead of coming here, rather than having Justify ship all the way to Europe. Justify is much more popular here, so I would be very very surprised if they take him back to Ireland.

I would be very surprised if Coolmore stands two Triple Crown winners in the same dirt market. They would be undercutting their own business.

IF they close the deal on Justify, then of the two TC winners in their stud book, Justify has the has the pedigree that would be more sought after world wide, which makes him more versatile in the world market than American Pharoah. They're going to want to shuttle Justify, and both the US and Europe breed on the same schedule, so to blitz cover the market, stand Justify in Europe/possibly China, American Pharoah in the US for the Northern breeding season, then rotate where they go during the Southern breeding season.

• jaefeatheredjaefeathered Member
    edited August 2018
    Ehhh I don't think that Pharoah and Justify are going to be competing with each other as much as you think. They have pretty different pedigrees. I'm not positive about conformation, but they look different enough to me that I don't think they'd be competing on that front either.

We might just have to agree to disagree, but I would be utterly blown away if Coolmore opted to ship him over to Ireland permanently rather than keeping him here. The outcry from breeders here would be enormous, especially since we don't actually have any impressive sons of Scat Daddy yet. If they opt to do that though, I'll 100% concede defeat. :)

EDIT: Plus, WinStar would want to send any mares of theirs to Justify I'm sure. I can almost guarantee they retain some breeding rights.