Justify (Scat Daddy - Stage Magic, by Ghostzapper)

Comments

• sarinnesarinne Member
    @Zenyen, I assumed she had her right front knee bent, and the straight leg we see is her left one, not a crooked right. But I could be wrong!
  • ZenyenZenyen Member
    Ah, yeah I see what you mean. That is probably the knee situation, but still that would mean her left has a hella bowed tendon to be that thick. But a bowed tendon is easier to live with than a wonky knee AND a bowed tendon.
  • sarinnesarinne Member
    I'm guessing they compromised on her structure for her pedigree -- and the fact that she was obtained so cheaply, I'd love to know how much Summer Wind actually paid the investors who originally got her for the $30K tag!
  • Gee, now that the angle of that leg has been pointed out, I can't stop looking at it. I enlarged the photo to get a better look and still can't figure out what in the sam-hill is going on with that leg. And to think she won her last race.....maybe she came out of that race with a bowed tendon. Sure hope when another photo comes out we can get a different vantage point of that leg. :)
    sarinne said:

I'm guessing they compromised on her structure for her pedigree -- and the fact that she was obtained so cheaply, I'd love to know how much Summer Wind actually paid the investors who originally got her for the $30K tag!

• sarinne said:

I wonder as well. She was claimed out of her last race (1/1/2018) by owner/trainer Neil Pession. There aren't any further updates so maybe he claimed her then sold her to them privately?
  • From a comment on Horse Racing Nation on Holiday Music.
    andthey'reoff • a year ago
    Justify's half-sister was claimed for $30,000 and then privately sold to Summer Wind Farm and is now in foal to POTN.
  • RachelRachel Member
    I'm pretty sure she walks on it well enough for nothing to be wrong with it. She carried a foal to term for 11 months with plenty of paddock time. Shes in mid step in that photo.
  • RachelRachel Member
    Shes practically baring most of her weight on it, so I'm sure its fine.
  • From a Blood Horse article interview with Jane Lyon.

One option down the road, Lyon said, might be to breed 'Emma' (Littleprincessemma) to 2018 Triple Crown winner Justify .

"I've looked at other options, and I think it might be interesting to breed a Triple Crown winner to a horse that has produced a Triple Crown winner, but size is a little bit of a concern," she said. "I worry about things like that."
  • From a comment on Horse Racing Nation on Holiday Music.
    andthey'reoff • a year ago
    Justify's half-sister was claimed for $30,000 and then privately sold to Summer Wind Farm and is now in foal to POTN.

Here is more information from a Blood Horse article from an interview with Jane Lyon.

Another opportunity wisely pursued by Lyon came to her through her farm manager, Bobby Spalding, who called her one morning in February 2018.

"I'm coming to pick you up. We're going to look at a horse," Spalding told her. The horse on the agenda was a bay daughter of Harlan's Holiday named Holiday Music that trainer Neil Pessin had claimed for $30,000 on New Year's Day at Fair Grounds Racecourse & Slots. Holiday Music is a half sister to Justify, who had just broken his maiden Feb. 18 in his first start by 9 1/2 lengths at Santa Anita, getting his first of six consecutive wins that ended with his Triple Crown title.

"The word was out on Justify, and there was only one other daughter out of the mare. Bobby is very astute and found where she was. She is a nice mare, and so we took a chance," said Lyon, who bred Holiday Music to Pioneerof the Nile and got a filly this year named Song of Egypt.

"We were offered deals from stallion owners to breed her and offer her through a sale, but I told them I didn't buy her to sell her. The baby is very nice, particularly for a first foal," she continued.

Holiday Music will be bred to American Pharoah this year.
  • RachelRachel Member
    I wish he were still racing :(
  • American Pharoah, Justify joined at the hip in many ways: https://www.drf.com/news/american-pharoah-justify-joined-hip-many-ways
  • Did Justify's dam, Stage Magic, have a 2019 foal?
  • From the looks of it, nope. Neither the Jockey Club nor Equineline are showing any results.
  • https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/11/sports/horse-racing/justify-drug-test-triple-crown-kentucky-derby.html

I'm absolutely disgusted with the CHRB for keeping this quiet. Shame on them.
  • Justify certainly has a lot to prove in the shed...
  • edited September 12
    So if the rules were followed Bolt D' Oro would have been declared the Santa Anita winner, Justify would have been out of the Derby and all things being equal Good Magic would have won the Derby.

Dishonesty always has a ripple effect.

Now I've got to wonder if Arrogate won fair and square over Chrome in the BC Classic.
  • Did Justify's dam, Stage Magic, have a 2019 foal?

She was bred to Quality Road, but lost the foal according to this article.
    https://www.thoroughbredracing.com/articles/triple-crown-mares-verge-creating-their-own-dynasties/?fbclid=IwAR10R-L9tvF4x9A2dVHq6YIkEL3qBgV9yLUMstlvRCVMBU9OTZ_DDny6rA8
  • https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/11/sports/horse-racing/justify-drug-test-triple-crown-kentucky-derby.html

Wow you guys really need to get your house in order and have one neutral body handle all thoroughbred drug testing outwith these racing boards.
  • bleubettybleubetty Member
    edited September 12

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/11/sports/horse-racing/justify-drug-test-triple-crown-kentucky-derby.html

racingfan said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/11/sports/horse-racing/justify-drug-test-triple-crown-kentucky-derby.html

Wow you guys really need to get your house in order and have one neutral body handle all thoroughbred drug testing outwith these racing boards.
    My sentiments, too, does this taint Justify's Triple Crown, I don't know but many will say it does ---- :'(

• That’s crazy. Is anyone familiar how long would that drug be in his system. I mean would that affect his derby run? I wonder if this has happened before? Would we have found out if the New York Times didn’t wrote a story about it?