Justify (Scat Daddy - Stage Magic, by Ghostzapper)

Comments

• Julky said:

That’s crazy. Is anyone familiar how long would that drug be in his system. I mean would that affect his derby run? I wonder if this has happened before? Would we have found out if the New York Times didn’t wrote a story about it?

It doesn't matter if the drug was still in his system at Derby time. The drug was in his system when he won the SA Derby. The fact that it showed up in a test the day after meant... had the rules been followed... he would have forfeited the win, losing the prize money AND more importantly, the points he needed to get into the KY Derby.

The NY Times found out somehow so the story would have come out eventually.

All these little racing fiefdoms and the many layers of racing royalty mean what goes on on the track is less important than what goes on off.
  • The cover-up for Triple Crown winner Justify looks shameful, no matter how it's framed

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/horses/horse-racing/2019/09/11/justify-failed-drug-test-triple-crown-winners-cover-up-looks-bad/2294991001/

I hate PETA and this type of dishonesty just gives them more mud for stirring the pot. They have already jumped on the story.
  • Julky said:

That’s crazy. Is anyone familiar how long would that drug be in his system. I mean would that affect his derby run? I wonder if this has happened before? Would we have found out if the New York Times didn’t wrote a story about it?

Medical literature says 8 hours
  • Interesting article on how accidental contamination is treated in the uk even when it is not the trainers fault

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/environment/jo-foster-over-the-stable-door-1-5998814
  • KMMKMM Member
    That is very interesting, racingfan. I would gather that all U.S. stables at tracks are also regularly inspected, but it is likely regulated by state laws.
  • There is no way the NYT has been working this story for nearly a year.

Someone put a bug in someone’s ear as a political retaliation.
  • KMMKMM Member
    edited September 12
    I didn't see a reference to NYT working on it for year in the story, but I may have overlooked something. Also, the story was rather leading in its insinuations. Baffert did get investigated a few years ago, for 7 of his horses dying, under his watch, in the same season. He had given all of his horses some kind of thyroid medication without testing them to see if they needed it.
  • ZenyenZenyen Member
    edited September 12
    What I mean is that someone put a bug in the NYT’s ear to suggest there was a story to be pursued. This isn’t something that the NYT was interested in until they were told to go looking.

The story isn’t about Baffert so much as it’s about the CHRB playing favorites when it comes to drug infractions.

Now, who do we know who might have a reason to want to blow the whistle on what they see as hypocrisy, and who would also have been in a position to know about the positive test?
  • The lawyer's letter convinced me that there was no foul play. And had he been disqualified due to what appears to be a trace amount found in nature, we would have had no 13th Triple Crown winner, which would have been a real shame. Because there were no drugs in his system in any of the Triple Crown races.
  • Zenyen said:

What I mean is that someone put a bug in the NYT’s ear to suggest there was a story to be pursued. This isn’t something that the NYT was interested in until they were told to go looking.

The story isn’t about Baffert so much as it’s about the CHRB playing favorites when it comes to drug infractions.

Now, who do we know who might have a reason to want to blow the whistle on what they see as hypocrisy, and who would also have been in a position to know about the positive test?

Spot on Zenyen, has all the hallmarks of whistleblowing. Am so sad for American racing these days. Can only hope something good can come of it in terms of central drug testing. Thankfully here no trainer large or small is immune to disqualification even if trace amounts and accidental ingestion has occurred They still get canned
  • It’s BS. Jimsonweed is toxic to horses. If he had ingested it in feed there would be a vet report, and he wouldn’t have run. Especially with the amount found him his system.

Jimsonweed poisoning symptoms:

Symptoms of poisoning in horses may occur within minutes to several hours and may include: seeking water to drink, dilated pupils, agitation, increased heart rate, trembling, convulsions, coma and possibly death.
  • LionessLioness Member
    edited September 14
    If I'm understanding it correctly, I don't think his defense is that he ingested jimson weed in his hay. I think his defense is that jimson weed grows next to hay, containing Scopolamine. Those Scopolamine particles transferred into the hay, not the entire jimson weed itself.
  • None of it excuses CHRB.
  • Actually as stated in another post it is a common contaminent in poor or weedy hay fields, problem is it loses its bitter taste when dried so becomes more palatable to horses. They normally wont eat it when fresh. Thats why hay loads should allways be checked before acceptance for contaminants and sent back. I would be rather concerned if top racehorse were being fed such clearly poor quality hay but thats another matter......
  • Jimson weed grows rampant in California. It does not have to be a poor hayfield. Beautiful alfalfa field next to my mom's place has it all around and I'm sure in it. The big question is why and who gave the NYT partial information? The article never said anything about the other horses testing positive nor about the fact that all of his triple Crown race tests all came back clean. Sensationalism is what that article was pure and simple, along with the Hope's of giving racing another black eye.
  • raceon said:

Jimson weed grows rampant in California. It does not have to be a poor hayfield. Beautiful alfalfa field next to my mom's place has it all around and I'm sure in it. The big question is why and who gave the NYT partial information? The article never said anything about the other horses testing positive nor about the fact that all of his triple Crown race tests all came back clean. Sensationalism is what that article was pure and simple, along with the Hope's of giving racing another black eye.

In my opinion? Speculation only?

Ask yourself the following questions:

1) Who has cause for a serious grudge against the CHRB?
    2) Who has nothing to lose, at this point, in whistleblowing and giving both Baffert, the CHRB and Santa Anita/TSG the biggest black eye possible?
    3) Who could have been in a position to be aware of the positive test results?

I'll give you a hint. Go back over the 2018 Santa Anita Derby race results.

• What's the reason you don't have the wherewithal to finish your accusation and just come out with the name of the connection you are pointing to? This is the second time you've played the guessing game "name the antagonist". Just saying Zenyen..........you usually don't mince your words. It's already come out that there is a party considering a lawsuit.
    Zenyen said:

raceon said:

Jimson weed grows rampant in California. It does not have to be a poor hayfield. Beautiful alfalfa field next to my mom's place has it all around and I'm sure in it. The big question is why and who gave the NYT partial information? The article never said anything about the other horses testing positive nor about the fact that all of his triple Crown race tests all came back clean. Sensationalism is what that article was pure and simple, along with the Hope's of giving racing another black eye.

In my opinion? Speculation only?

Ask yourself the following questions:

1) Who has cause for a serious grudge against the CHRB?
    2) Who has nothing to lose, at this point, in whistleblowing and giving both Baffert, the CHRB and Santa Anita/TSG the biggest black eye possible?
    3) Who could have been in a position to be aware of the positive test results?

I'll give you a hint. Go back over the 2018 Santa Anita Derby race results.

• It's not an accusation. Like I said, it is my opinion and speculation.
  • Ok, let's say allegation (might be true and might not, but you don't have any proof). I mean it's not like you have signed a non-disclosure agreement or your speculation is going to go viral. LOL. :)
    Zenyen said:

It's not an accusation. Like I said, it is my opinion and speculation.