Chasing Yesterday (Tapit x Littleprincessemma)

Comments

• LionessLioness Member
    Just hoping everyone comes back safe <3
  • sarinnesarinne Member
    Lioness said:

Just hoping everyone comes back safe <3 </p>

I've been thinking the same. :heart:
  • EriNCEriNC Member
    Well I won’t be watching. Santa Anita needs to be boycotted until they close the track down and find out what is causing these fatalities. How many is too many? What does it take? A star horse breaking down instead of claimed, and unraced horses?
  • LionessLioness Member
    edited March 6
    @EriNC there seems to be a lot of different information floating around right now but @QueenZFan22 posted a DRF article on the Track thread that states that Santa Anita has cancelled racing indefinitely (some others are saying it's only through Friday). I hope it's true. I wonder if Baffert will try to ship any of his horses.

http://live.drf.com/nuggets/47243-santa-anita-track-cancels-racing-indefinitely?fbclid=IwAR2E6aK-V9unMZjcB-C1A8XNU5qqGMcq08Z3T3xMy-ItqSYKemFPNQEBarY

Edit - It looks to be true, as more sources are backing it up:

• EriNCEriNC Member
    Glad to see that for once, horse welfare will come before money.
  • whoodlerwhoodler Member
    I thought they had closed because of weather.
  • RachelRachel Member
    Weather and trying to figure what's going on with the track
  • edited March 6
    EriNC said:

Glad to see that for once, horse welfare will come before money.

Sadly I hate to say this but the closing is more likely because of the bad publicity the track has received from local and world News Media reports. IF they had the Star performers welfare in mind then all the trainers would have forced the tracks hand by pulling each and every horse from the scheduled races and demanded the track owner and officials find out the cause for the track fatalities, and do something to permanently solve the issue no matter the cost nor loss of revenues from the racing fans.
  • RachelRachel Member
    They had another death today as well. Makes it 21 horses now. Check the injury thread.
  • Rachel said:

They had another death today as well. Makes it 21 horses now. Check the injury thread.

I know it was on every sports news related program and paper at either the front page news or the 2nd article on the front page. I feel for the Horse BUT can't feel bad for the people involved as they had a choice to not train knowing there was a major problem with the track.
  • ZenyenZenyen Member

Rachel said:

I know it was on every sports news related program and paper at either the front page news or the 2nd article on the front page. I feel for the Horse BUT can't feel bad for the people involved as they had a choice to not train knowing there was a major problem with the track.
    Except they don't.

If you don't fill the cards (race) and you don't train you don't get stalls.

It is at Santa Anita's discretion to give stall space. If trainer A tries to boycott the surface, Santa Anita can kick them out and give those stalls to trainer B who will run no matter the conditions.

At this point the ONLY thing that was going to force Santa Anita's hand was bad press, the owners/trainers have no real power.
  • However if the Trainers all worked together then SA would lose even more $$$$$ because I'm sure those stalls are not free to use and if I was a trainer why in the world would I want to place my star pupil on a track that is causing all these injuries JUST to keep a stall at a track you can't train at any ways? If the track is closed there will be no need for trainers to stall there. The call of Money is what is keeping the trainers risking the euthanasia of yet another up and coming racer.
  • EliRoseEliRose Member
    Shelbe Ruis got raked over the coals last month for wanting scratch due to mud. The only reason she kept her stalls was because she sounded off on Twitter.
  • LionessLioness Member
    I remember that. And she clearly implied that unfortunately Santa Anita does prioritize the safety of its "stars" over the other ranks. Not giving trainers flack for scratching their stake horses but giving her flack for scratching her (I can't remember exactly) maiden or AOC horse.
  • ZenyenZenyen Member

However if the Trainers all worked together then SA would lose even more $$$$$ because I'm sure those stalls are not free to use and if I was a trainer why in the world would I want to place my star pupil on a track that is causing all these injuries JUST to keep a stall at a track you can't train at any ways? If the track is closed there will be no need for trainers to stall there. The call of Money is what is keeping the trainers risking the euthanasia of yet another up and coming racer.

As of last night the track IS CLOSED.

As Eli and Lioness have pointed out, it was the blue collar trainers, running their smaller string bread winners who were raising the alarm early. But they have no voice at Santa Anita and worse if they did band together and try to move to another track, they are going to find themselves black balled out of California racing all together. Track secretaries are cut throat.

The only trainer defection that would have amounted to a hill of beans would be Baffert and he has no reason to move without solid evidence that the track is bad. He has too many horses, too many staff and Santa Anita nicely in his pocket. Additionally even his 'rising stars' are insured so if he loses them; oh well cash the check and get another.

However now that the track is closed indefinitely, we'll see what happens.

I do find it interesting that all this started around the same time Dennis Moore left Santa Anita.

Ahhh, a conspiracy theory.
  • ZenyenZenyen Member
    edited March 6
    whoodler said:

Ahhh, a conspiracy theory.

No conspiracy theory, it's a breakdown in exit process that happens every day in any business.

When you lose a subject matter expert things get lost in the knowledge transfer, or you have someone come on board who is not of the same level of competence as the SME you lost.

Moore, a subject expert and an expert on the SA track, left around the same time Southern California began to experience unprecedented rains. No conspiracy, just unlucky timing of events.

Further more at the end of the day this is a business. We sit comfortably in our arm chairs and wring our hands about the death of the horses (which is a gruesome underbelly of this sport) but Santa Anita management was facing an almost impossible situation.

21 horses. It is a horrific number to us, but from a business statistic you have to take that number against the number of horses who ran, without injury, over the track. That percentage is going to be the number that ultimately guides to choice to close, especially THIS meet.

This meet is California Racing biggest Derby & Oaks prep period. They lose these races, they lose visibility, and handle, on the largest common player/viewer stage for horse racing. These races can't just move to Del Mar or Los Al. But shutting down racing at SA both SA and California Racing has cut their own throat. They will have to triage this very carefully; from the side of the fans, the betting public, the owners and the trainers.

21 horses is an appalling number, but without a concrete set of numbers to prove that it is solely the fault of the track Santa Anita was trying to address concerns while still running a business. That they have now applied the nuclear option to the business side of things, perhaps we may find it in our hearts to appreciate that the Industry as a whole IS showing a marked increase in the concerns over equine life, vs the bottom dollar.
  • EliRoseEliRose Member
    Pretty telling that Moore is back now, and sounds like he made the call.

Good on Ed Allred for putting up stalls at Los Al.
    Dennis Moore Retained By Santa Anita As Track Consultant

https://www.paulickreport.com/news/the-biz/dennis-moore-retained-by-santa-anita-as-track-consultant/

And it gets deeper....
  • LOL you know when one steps up to do what is best for the equine Player they have to stick with their plan no matter what occurs. To make a loud statement as Shelbe Ruis did was a brave thing and they knew how to tighten the bolts to get the big wigs to have to listen. However when one takes on this task they accept whatever must be to stand firm. Had SA kicked them out an the whole racing industry of California then they would have needed a new state to race in and yes may have lost some clients and took a hit in the pocket book "However", They could have posted all that occurred to them on a public form and showed everyone just who is of the highest priority at SA. Last I knew no Business can continue production if they no longer have the product they are promoting or selling. It be rather hard to have horse racing without Horses no?

Mind you I am glad it never came to that, but sometimes those who stay steadfast in what they believe do have to endure a lot of pain and suffering. Example would be the long and hard fought battle to shut down an Equine Rescue in California(You all know which one) It took lots of steadfast standing and yes a lot of horribly hard days for the ones who stood their ground and took everything that the opposing "Business" could toss at them. However today that Rescue is CLOSED and now SA is Closed until they can solve this issue which by all I've read has been a major issue for years.

I will be praying that the officials at SA find the problem and learn of a way to solve the problem be it the weather, the Track surface, or whatever cause has resulted in 21 Horses sacrificing their own lives to entertain humans in the sport???? of TB Racing.