A Look at Great Races From the Past

These will be races not involving Zenyatta. And I'll start out with the greatest of them all, The 1973 Belmont Stakes featuring a horse you may have heard of named Secretariat:

He broke the track record by over 2 seconds, which is huge in horse racing. At that time, he was the first triple crown winner in 25 years, however, the 1970's would feature a few more TC winners, you'll see ahead.

Comments

• 1973 Preakness Stakes. Watch how the fans have breached the infiels barriers and are staanding dangerously on the inner rail.

Secretariat's made an early move that would make most horses poop out at the end, but not Secretatiat.
  • 1973 Kentucky Derby . . . I know, I did the Triple Crown backwards, but I had to put the Belmont Stakes first.

By the dramatic music was added, it wasn't THAT dramatic in the 1970's unless you liked polyester suits.
  • Here's a video about Man O War who won 19 of 20 starts (sound familiar?). Because he racie in 1919-1920, there is very little video of his actual races:

• 1938 MATCH RACE: WAR ADMIRAL vs SEABISCUIT

This would be the classy east coast, War Admiral against the blue-collar west coast, Seabiscuit

We won again!
  • 1940 SEABISCUIT WINS THE SANTA ANITA HANDICAP, FINALLY

• Ooooo! Can others play, too?

Here is one I've been enjoying lately. It's one of Tom Durkin's best calls.
    Cigar--1995 Breeders' Cup Classic

• Personal Ensign--1988 Distaff

• 2 very good picks laura
  • Very cool!! Thanks for sharing these races in such an easily accessible way!
  • Dr. Fager's historic world record mile, 1:32:20, set in 1968. Dr. Fager carried 134 pounds. This time, which was a record for both dirt and turf, stood for many years. The record was equaled on dirt in 2003 by Najran, who carried only 113 pounds. The current mile record for turf is 1:31:41, set by Mr. Light under 118 lbs in 2005 at Gulfstream.
  • Laura! I was going to put up that one too!
  • Laura! I was going to put up that one too!
    Great minds think alike.
  • THE GREATEST TRIPLE CROWN RIVALRY EVER: 1978

THAT WAS ROUND 1
  • Might be the best rivalry, period.
  • ROUND 2

• I was there!!!! My Mema took me. What a glorious day. Love those two.
  • 1978 Jockey Club Gold Cup featuring Seattle Slew, Affirmed, and Exceller. Slew sets a blistering pace. Exceller comes from 12 lengths back to take the lead, but Slew battles back in what is one of the greatest second-place finishes ever. Zenyatta's heart in her narrow loss to Blame has been compared to Slew's effort in this one.

• Put on your poly leisure suits and enjoy. Harvey Pack and the music.....CLASSIC!!!

Wow Wow Wow.
  • Ta Wee wires the field under 142 pounds in the 1970 Interborough Handicap, her last race. In her previous race, the Fall Highweight Handicap, she carried 140 pounds against colts, and won.
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas hot springs, arkansasMember
    she was something very special.....wish we could find some of Gallorette
  • HERE IS ROUND 3 AFFIRMED vs ALYDAR

Wow, what a race that was!
  • ROUND 4 (actually their 10th meeting) 1978 TRAVERS

Affirmed gets disqualified for interference on the backstretch, the video hardly mentions it.
  • 1982 SANTA ANITA HANDICAP (In those days, the SAH was a big deal, not any more) JOHN HENRY WAS TRYING TO BECOME THE FIRST 2-TIME WINNER OF THE CAP

• Anyone got video of MyWifeKnowsEverything/ ThewifeDoesntKnow race? its not one of the greatest but its a fun stretch call lol. miss those two horses
  • http://m.cbsnews.com/postwatch.rbml?pageType=video&cbsID=6804353

makes me smile every time. TheWifeDoesntKnow/MyWifeKnowsEverything stretch call. i actually didnt know it made the news.