Super Fillies Racing in the 21st Century

VA_in_CAVA_in_CA Member
edited November 2018 in Thoroughbred Racing & Sales
I looked for a discussion about Almond Eye's amazing race yesterday and couldn't find a thread for her in the first 3 pages, so it occurred to me that we need a thread for all the recent super fillies that have been making headlines in the last 15 years or so. Recently we've had Beholder, Songbird, and Unique Bella here, in Europe they've had Enable going great guns, in Australia there is Winx, and in Japan there is Almond Eye. I know I've left some out. Was Black Caviar in the 21st Century? for example. It just seems to me that we've had quite a few female race horses making headlines lately. Can't forget Lady Eli, either. The age of the Super Fillies with huge fan bases is here. See what Zenyatta started!!

Comments

• VA_in_CAVA_in_CA Member
    edited November 2018
    Yesterday, Almond Eye won the Japan Cup, beating older males. She earlier won the Japan Fillies Triple Crown (the 5th horse to do it). The Japan Cup is a 2400 meter race (1.49 miles) and Almond Eye set the track record by 1.5 seconds. That's a race about as long as the Belmont Stakes and she won with a track record, and she's only a 3-year old. I read somewhere, but can't find the source again, that she set a World Record. What a filly! Here is the race ( She is #1. Final time was 2:20.6) Edit: She set a race record that was 1.5 seconds faster than the previous record.:
  • Great discussion @VA_in_CA although you forgot to mention Beholder (who does have her own discussion here.)
    edited November 2018
    Here's Almond Eye in one of her big races, a Group 1, where she runs from almost last to 1st in about 400 meters. Very exciting race to watch. I can't tell if the race was on April 18th or August 4th. Either date is in 2018. She is #13. Edit: It's April 4, 2018.
  • Here is Almond Eye's Pedigree and Race Record. She debuted as a 2-year old with a 2nd place finish and has won every race since. Very impressive. Sunday Silence fans will note that he is her damsire.
    https://www.horseracingnation.com/horse/Almond_Eye#
  • Great discussion @VA_in_CA although you forgot to mention Beholder (who does have her own discussion here.)

Yes, I forgot at first, then remembered and thought of editing her in in front of Songbird, and forgot again. Sorry, Beholder. I was rooting for you in the BC Ladies Classic/Distaff in 2016, so hope that all is okay.
    There have been an amazing number of spectacular female racehorses running lately and I hope that's a good sign that the millennia (as opposed to the masculine millenium) of the female is upon us. hahaha (Most of us on this Forum are women, so we all know that the raging hormone that has upset the world for the past 2000 years is actually testosterone).
    I'll go edit Beholder in where she belongs.
  • VA_in_CA said:

There have been an amazing number of spectacular female racehorses running lately and I hope that's a good sign that the millennia (as opposed to the masculine millenium) of the female is upon us. hahaha (Most of us on this Forum are women, so we all know that the raging hormone that has upset the world for the past 2000 years is actually testosterone).

Ha! You underestimate the power of a woman BEHIND THE SCENES... Men might get the credit for the wars but most of the time I bet there's been a woman calling the shots (Ahab/Jezebel style)... We just get to have our roles in events publicized now!

I do like a thread devoted to fillies and mares doing the incredible. Not that we've had a shortage of colts... AP, Justify, California Chrome, Arrogate's 4-race run, Frankel, Gun Runner, Curlin, Tiznow...
  • It's true that we have some great colts, too. But those we always have. Most of the ones you've listed all have their own threads and also most of them are American horses. Some of the super fillies with the huge fan bases are from the rest of the world and they deserve mention, too. I thought it most logical to put them all together since it's easier to find than to hunt for a separate thread for each horse. It also plays up the fact that great fillies are popping up in many places in the world these days.

Here's a good article from the Paulick Report about the pretty much unknown Japanese super filly. https://www.paulickreport.com/news/ray-s-paddock/filly-superstar-almond-eye-takes-japan-cup-in-record-time/
  • Thanks for posting. We have quite awhile to wait.=--4 months.
    edited December 2019
    Almond Eye is running in a big race in Japan on Sunday. It's a special handicap race, one of two in which fans get to choose the field. (What an interesting idea.) She's the odds on favorite to win.

The G1 race in which Almond Eye is running will be live on Twinspires dot com for US fans. Go to Japan Racing on the track selection page. It's Race 11. It's 1 and 9/16 miles on turf. The purse is $5.9 million. The date in Japan is 12/22, but in the US, it's 12/21, tonight. The time listed is 10:25 PM. Twinspires posts all times as Eastern, so that would be 7:25 Pacific Time. There are 16 entries! They range in age from 3 to 7 and include colts, fillies, horses, and mares. Amazing to us. Odds range from 1-1 to 99-1. Almond Eye's post position is 9. She's the favorite. (She's a 4-year old bay filly.)
  • I adore Almond Eye. But wow, those Japanese purses!
  • Apparently I was wrong about the times for the Japan races. Maybe Twinspires now lists times for the time zone the viewer is located in because it is now 7:15 PM Pacific Time and they are 7 minutes away from post time for Race 6. So maybe Race 11 will be at 10:25 Pacific. Sorry folks in the East: that's 1:25 AM tomorrow for you. I always worry when there is no sound on Twinspires, but there almost never is until the actual race, unless they have analysts speaking. Since this is in Japan, I guess they don't have them for 6-furlong races for 2-year olds. It's interesting that colts and fillies are running together. Warm ups are taken by the horse and jockey alone, no ponying going on at all. I hope they have an English version race call. But if not, we can just watch.
  • sarinne said:

I adore Almond Eye. But wow, those Japanese purses!

Yes, that's a big purse. But it's the Grand Prix.
  • Good news: they have an English race caller, with an Australian accent. The track looks wet. The Grand Prix won't go off for another almost 3 hours, I guess. Sorry about that. The winner of race 6 was a 2 year old colt by I'll Have Another.
  • Very exciting finish to the race.
    The 3rd-place finisher was in last place for most of the race and second to last at the beginning of the stretch. The winner put on a tremendous burst of speed and won by 5 lengths. This was her last race, too. What a way to go out. She was this year's Cox Plate winner. She was one second out from the race record in today's race.
    https://www.facebook.com/racingdotcom/videos/388851025227116/
  • Thanks for posting the link, VA, I was unable to watch the race. I'd call Lys Gracieux a super filly as well as she has won some huge races and against the males as well. That's one thing I love about European, Australian, Japanese, etc. that the fillies and mares race alongside the colts and geldings and I adore the turf racing, so exciting. Lys Gracieux has that nice closing kick like Zenyatta that makes it so heart pounding!
    edited December 2019
    You bring up some good points, Sarinne. Sorry you couldn't see the race. Not even the replay? Maybe it won't work if you don't belong to facebook. Maybe someone will put it on YouTube eventually.
  • Oh no, i did see it on the link you posted -- I worded that poorly. I really enjoyed watching it! Now to see how Lys Gracieux does at stud and who she is sent to. :)