Foal Watch 2019

Comments

• Well, one thing's for sure: Beholder won't be going to Mendelssohn, or Into Mischief either.
  • VA_in_CA said:

Well, one thing's for sure: Beholder won't be going to Mendelssohn, or Into Mischief either.

Why?

• Wezzie said:

VA_in_CA said:

Well, one thing's for sure: Beholder won't be going to Mendelssohn, or Into Mischief either.

Why?

@Wezzie She's their half sister.
  • Their dam, Leslie's Lady, will be a Blue Hen, I'll bet. Those 3 foals alone have won 9 million $ on the racetrack, and all 3 competed in Grade 1 races.. Into Mischief won over half a mil, Mendelssohn won 2.5 mil, and Beholder won over 6 mil. And that doesn't count the money from stud fees Into Mischief has earned and Mendelssohn will probably earn. And Leslie's Lady is still active as a broodmare although she'll be 23 soon. I love that family.
  • I'm most excited about RV foaling her POtN baby
  • Since foaling season starts in a few weeks I just wanted to "bump" this discussion.
  • Not going to stay bumped with all the posts every day.
  • This may be a stupid question, but do people
    ever fake the day a foal is born? Let say the foal is born on December but they say it was born in January. How do they keep taps on that?
  • @Julky -- they always talk about foals being hid in the barn until a suitable time. I hope I'm remembering the circumstances of one correctly, but the governing body in the UK did penalize a farm who claimed a new filly was born in January, but was in fact a preemie foaled in December. This was a couple years ago that I read this, but I think that was the gist of it.
  • Too many people... especially poorly paid people... around most places to be confident of getting away with that.
  • We've seen some foal photos (posted just one or two days into the new year) where the foal was said to be born on January 1 and a lot of us have commented "that's a newly born foal?" LOL.
  • I remember those lol. Quite large babies indeed.
  • Interesting for sure. I wonder if there is ever a way to control that.
  • LionessLioness Member
    edited December 2018
    whoodler said:

Too many people... especially poorly paid people... around most places to be confident of getting away with that.

Poorly paid people often have the most to lose. If a foal was born early and they took it to the press that the farm was lying, 1. they would lose their job and their livelihood and 2. they would have a hard time finding another job in the TB industry at another farm for sure. I'm sure this happen often. I'm always skeptical of those miraculous January 1st births.
  • Julky said:

Interesting for sure. I wonder if there is ever a way to control that.

The purpose of the rule is to try to ensure that a foal crop is as evenly matched for their age group when they actually start racing. Part of why it was put in play was to establish a baseline of age, to make the physical development as even as possible.

But these are animals, not machines.

Most everybody in the industry understands that mares will drop when they drop. Everybody for the most part tries to genuinely adhere to keeping their mares' drop date sometime after January 1st. But Mother Nature is going to laugh at plans.

If it happens as a one off here and there, and the farm doesn't trumpet the matter (ie keeps the foal in the barn) most people turn a blind eye. If a farm starts to show a pattern of "oops-es" then they're going to get hit with a fine.
  • LET THE FUN BEGIN!!!!
    jen_bloom said:

......... Foaling season has begun! Happy New Year!

• There used to be a TB breeding farm along Highway 60 in Moreno Valley, Ca that would have a few new babies out in the afternoon on Jan 1st. We went by every New Year's Day on the way to visit my in-laws. Those babies got around their paddocks pretty well for being so brand "new."
  • Where's that first foal photo? We are already into the middle of the first week of 2019. LOL.
  • @mrsrebaker You beat me to it! I'll search to see if I can find more later today.
  • Winner-Winner....Chicken Dinner.

Off and running indeed!

Lol.. here...