Zellda (Medaglia d'Oro x Zenyatta)

Comments

• ZenyenZenyen Member
    In the front on her knees is a sweat, which involves some sort of poultice ointment or medicated ointment and then wrapping in saran wrap. We used to put sweats on under standing bandages as a way to help encourage blood flow, and reduce the risk of stocking up. Something racehorses are at higher risk for since they stand in their stalls most of the day.

Can't tell if the sweat goes all the way down under her front standing wraps, but I would expect the whole leg, from fetlock to knee is being sweated.
  • Is this normal to have ir so high up the leg ? In the old days we used cabbage leaves to bring down legs and it really does works
  • ZenyenZenyen Member
    racingfan said:

Is this normal to have ir so high up the leg ? In the old days we used cabbage leaves to bring down legs and it really does works

We never wrapped higher than the standing bandage would cover. But I want to say I've seen pictures of other horses in Sheriff's barn (maybe even Zenyatta herself) with poultice up past the knee, so it may be more of a standard operating procedure for him.

• Thanks Zenyen, I am used to seeing it so high on the trotters overhere ( with the cling film as we call it) but not on thoroughbreds , as you saycoul be just barn practice rather than a legacy of her conformational issues
  • BetsyBBetsyB Member
    racingfan said:

Thanks Zenyen, I am used to seeing it so high on the trotters overhere ( with the cling film as we call it) but not on thoroughbreds , as you saycoul be just barn practice rather than a legacy of her conformational issues

Speaking of the "legacy of her conformational issues," I'm curious whether those more versed on how tough it is to overcome a clubfoot whether Zellda shows any outward lingering effects that you can see, at least at this point.
  • Thank-You all, and if it helps Zellda stay healthy and sound I am all for it just had never seen such ever before on TB photos.
  • VA_in_CA said:

This is the reason why I hardly ever read the Forum any more. It's a great shame, but I predict it will eventually doom the Forum. The shame of that is that there were some very interesting posts made early on and a great deal of information was shared. Very sad. The twit-sharing witches appear to be winning. Fortunately I still get my Zenyatta and other racing information on a very small & select private facebook page.

I happen to agree. Most of the forums I used to frequent had dissolved into a mess.

Everyone seems to be a 'keyboard warrior' these days....
  • KatyKaty Member

Horse Workout Notification 
    January 5, 2020

Zellda (3-Year-Old Filly)

Date: January 5, 2020
    Track: SANTA ANITA PARK
    Distance: Four Furlongs
    Time: 50:80 Handily
    Track Condition: Fast
    Surface: Dirt
  • I am guessing as long as she stands up to the training then she wiil be ok. My interested was piqued by the height of the sweat and whether it was special to her but as Zenyen mentions it is probably just barn practice. Ouja Board a good racemare over and dam of the dual derby winner Australia had fairly crooked legs but clearly overcame it
  • Katy said:

Horse Workout Notification 
    January 5, 2020

Zellda (3-Year-Old Filly)

Date: January 5, 2020
    Track: SANTA ANITA PARK
    Distance: Four Furlongs
    Time: 50:80 Handily
    Track Condition: Fast
    Surface: Dirt

• KMMKMM Member
    She has a good sweat going.
  • RachelRachel Member
    Looks like a healthy shiny coat to me.
  • KMMKMM Member
    You are probably right. B)
  • RachelRachel Member
    She looks good either way
  • EriNCEriNC Member
    If she keeps on with this training schedule, I predict a start within a month.
  • edited January 7
    Has she had gate training or even breezed yet? I hope I'm wrong, but it wouldn't surprise me if Z has here Candy Ride filly before Zellda makes a first start. LOL.
    EriNC said:

If she keeps on with this training schedule, I predict a start within a month.

• The Zellda FB Page showed her Breezing but nothing on Gate work yet.
  • There's an official Zellda FB? What's the URL? I don't think there has been any recorded workouts of her breezing.

The Zellda FB Page showed her Breezing but nothing on Gate work yet.

• moshokmoshok Member

There's an official Zellda FB? What's the URL? I don't think there has been any recorded workouts of her breezing.

Go here.

• Thanks.
    moshok said:

There's an official Zellda FB? What's the URL? I don't think there has been any recorded workouts of her breezing.

Go here.

• Zellda had a workout today. Santa Anita 1/12/2020 Dirt 4F 49.40 Handily 27/59
  • This is what I like seeing. Liking the frequent works.
  • Zellda had a workout today. Santa Anita 1/12/2020 Dirt 4F 49.40 Handily 27/59

• Horse Workout Notification
    January 22, 2020

Zellda (3-Year-Old Filly)

Date: January 22, 2020
    Track: SANTA ANITA PARK
    Distance: Four Furlongs
    Time: 50:80 Handily
    Track Condition: Fast
    Surface: Dirt
  • Horse Workout Notification
    January 22, 2020

Zellda (3-Year-Old Filly)