Zellda (Medaglia d'Oro x Zenyatta)

Comments

• She’s really not all that small. And she’s a May foal.
  • Zellda's size won't matter so much if she is a talented runner. She's got plenty of time to grow some more, but I doubt she'll get to be the size of Zenyatta. Coz is bigger than Ziconic for sure, but he isn't close to being the size of Z. The Mayberry comments --- she's feisty and likes to be out front, I take those comments with a grain of salt. If she's a runner, great, if not, I hope they don't keep her at the track for 5 years like they've done with her 1/2 siblings.
  • Or try to take her back and have her run like her mother. Zi had that fire and it was lost. I hope she keeps it.
  • Finally...a name, waiting was kinda nerve wracking.
    Zellda
    The mortal incarnation of a goddess...a warrior with magical powers... the daughter of royalty
    A princess...
    As has been mentioned, Princess Zelda is a central character in the Zelda game series.
    Princess Zelda, Princess Zellda
    Joe Talamo looks like Link
    This is gonna be fun.
  • EliRose said:

She’s really not all that small. And she’s a May foal.

My thoughts as well. There really isn't that much size difference between her and her workmate. Still not a fan of her pencil front legs, though.
  • Lioness said:

EliRose said:

She’s really not all that small. And she’s a May foal.

My thoughts as well. There really isn't that much size difference between her and her workmate. Still not a fan of her pencil front legs, though.
    You and me both.

The following is an opinion, based on the fact that of course we don't have access to her x-rays and medical evaluations, but also based on my distrust of the Mosses to share anything that isn't sunshine and roses.

If I owned this filly from a mare who comes from a strong maternal line, and has a bad luck history in the shed, I would not race her without another daughter on the ground and thriving. If Zellda is to ultimately be Zenyatta's only surviving filly, I feel her contribution to the breed is as a broodmare, not a race horse.

She'll never replicate her mother's feats on the track and the risk -especially on those front legs- is greater than the potential reward.

Take those bloodlines and send her to a stallion who can straighten out her legs and give her bone. Arrogate (we can already see he's crossed well with a MdO daughter), American Pharoah (he is stamping his get very strongly) someone who is proven, or proving themselves to give bone and good leg conformation.

Then you may start to see Zenyatta's legacy build as the granddam of sound, strong runners.
  • LionessLioness Member
    edited February 2019
    I agree with you there. I don't think I would race her at this point either. All indications at the moment lead to her going to the track (out of pride seemingly). I hope they only race her once or twice and assess her abilities accordingly. If she breaks her maiden, great. Retire her as a winner for Z, ala Jess's Dream (though technically I believe he was retired because he just couldn't stay sound). If she doesn't, don't drag it out and risk injury. She has another career waiting for her.
  • Makes great sense!
  • Count me as confused.
    So far, you've nothing to indicate a link to good blood via winning on a dirt track meant for racing. Racing in today's world.
    I could on forever about coz and Zi... I could cry forever for our princess. The truth is zenyatta wasn't a dirt horse. Her bloodline leads to grass.
    The baby has to race. She can't be kept as as a maybe to tommorow...she must be an idea of future promise within racing.
    A person must define the ideals.
    Coz was a good horse sorely misused
    Zi was a racehorse sorely misused
    Zellda has work to do, she needs to do it.
    This is how the world works...there isn't any easy passes
    You've all been wrong about zenyatta babies.
  • Tincup, of late Jerome Moss has been putting several of his racers on Grass with a few winners to boot. The grass would be kinder to Zellda's legs and hey I can agree her bloodline favors the Turf over dirt. I'd love to see her race but tremble at the thought of her on dirt.
  • LionessLioness Member
    edited February 2019
    No one has to race. You may think that she "needs" to, but really, she doesn't. She's currently Zenyatta's only surviving daughter and looks to be the only one poised to carry on the line at the moment. Coz is gelded, hopefully Zi is on his way too, and Z is getting old. Zellda's value will always be in the shed. She was born with a little bone to her front legs and a club foot. There are rumors that she has already had pinning surgery done, and now as a two year old, they are still as thin as a pencil. There is a lot of risk racing her at the moment and little reward... She doesn't have to race. It's obviously their choice at the moment, though.
  • Zellda is going the same route as her brothers. Mayberry to Sheriffs and we've all seen how well that worked for her brothers.

There is no future promise here. Zenyatta was the product of a lucky shake of the genetics bag, that gave her the body, heart and mind to make the most of her running style. She was also carefully handled so as to ensure that her image continued to feed the appeal that Moss was attempting to market.

But neither the genetics nor the circumstances are going to come together to allow her foals to fulfill any promise, beyond the name brand recognition they bring to the table for projects like RRP and Santa Anita 'come see Zenyatta's foal race' days.
  • Agree with all that.
  • Mayberry Photo.

Posted without name of horse. Looks like Zellda to me. Does anyone else, with a more discerning eye, think this could be Zellda?

• I'm trying to identify the ears LOL
  • There is white on the forehead. B)
  • Most likely Zellda
  • New videos of Zellda in training in Florida.
  • She has grown a lot! I'm by no means an expert in conformation but she seems quite long bodied, and has the potential to resemble her dam in stature. Prayers that those legs are strong enough for her. :heart:
  • Yes, I hope she is sound. If all goes well (2020 start?), it will be a real treat to have another Zeny baby in training and working towards a racing debut. It's been three years since we had an offspring of Zeny make their racing debut.
    sarinne said:

She has grown a lot! I'm by no means an expert in conformation but she seems quite long bodied, and has the potential to resemble her dam in stature. Prayers that those legs are strong enough for her. :heart:

• KMMKMM Member
    She still looks bit miniature to me. I'll bet she is not even 15.2.
  • KMM said:

She still looks bit miniature to me. I'll bet she is not even 15.2.

I think "stature" was a poor word choice by me -- not insinuating huge, I'd say "outline" if she were a dog. :blush: But she has grown a lot since the last time we saw any pics or vids of her.
  • Looks what we call unfurnished, she needs to fill out her frame
  • She's certainly her sire's daughter. The MdO fillies are dainty.
  • EliRose said:

She's certainly her sire's daughter. The MdO fillies are dainty.

haha well thanks for correcting me -- good thing I admitted to knowing zero about conformation :wink: