Zellda (Medaglia d'Oro x Zenyatta)

Comments

• The Bloodhorse has been profiling outstanding stallions in their weekly magazine. MDO was profiled in the April 13 issue. Some excerpts:

He's a horse that you can breed a lot of different mares to," said Mark Taylor of Taylor Made Sales Agency. "Physically, he throws correct horses. A lot of times you'll have a nice-bred mare, but maybe she's not perfect in front. You breed to MDO and you usually get a nice correct horse. Some of his horses can be pretty big, but I think you can breed a wide variety of mares to him size-wise and body-type wise. He seems to meld to the mare and just adds quality."

At 20, MDO's book is being scaled back "just a tick" and they remain thoughtful of how his book is put together. As an example, this season (2019) 16 Darley mares will go to him; the others come from outside clients and shareholders. "A lot of thought goes into his book, and the input of our clients weighs heavy. It's a treat to look at the mares he's receiving and sift through those pedigrees. The production, quality, age of the mare, and obviously the race record are important. Last year the average age of mares in his book was 8, which is attractive and speaks volumes that younger mares, or ones coming off the track, are going to him to kick-start their careers. He breeds a lot of high-performing fillies coming off the track.

MDO shows few signs of age. "He looks great; he's in great condition." He got 90% of his mares in foal last year; that speaks to his health and vitality. His dam passed away this year (2019) at 30, but she was a dam that did not look her age. He's a horse that does not look his age."

"At 20 years old he's still stunning." A big contributor to his success is that he throws off a lot of his presence. You take the best combination of pedigree, performance, conformation, and heart---in any way you can measure them---and you still can't predict if they'll be successful. That is what we've learned. But when they are successful, you can point to the qualities that you are seeing. In this case his physical presence and his durability are as good as any horse I've seen in my lifetime."
    Rachel said:

Theres nothing wrong with her.

• Breeding is not an exact science and there is never any guarantee of what the stallion mare combo might throw, Mark Taylor is correct when he says you cant predict success.
  • Here is the video from the blog post.
  • SO cute!!!
  • zfanzfan CaliforniaMember
    Happy Birthday Zellda, I think you are lovely. I don’t care a bit if you are like or unlike your Momma or your pop. Enjoy yourself and I hope you are well cared for find the life that suits you and you alone..
  • ZenyenZenyen Member
    I want to be happy about this, it is cute that she always flips her upper lip when presented with frosting, but this breaks my heart.

CoZ's birthday was remembered, Zenyatta's birthday was remembered, Z Princess' birthday was remembered, and Zellda. But nothing for Ziconic. :'( Just a quick note in the birthday blog for his mother.
  • RachelRachel Member
    It would of been nice to see him with a little cupcake and that copper penny coat :(
  • RachelRachel Member
    But Zellda looks so good, gosh...shes 2! Hail the racing gods for keeping her safe and healthy. Her mommas only filly :heart:
  • bleubettybleubetty Member
    My sentiments exactly :'( It just makes me sad that Ziconic is always an afterthought. I would just like to know what's the plan for him. It troubles me because I know that Mr. and/or Mrs. Moss sell privately and tend to keep those transactions private.
    Zenyen said:

I want to be happy about this, it is cute that she always flips her upper lip when presented with frosting, but this breaks my heart.

CoZ's birthday was remembered, Zenyatta's birthday was remembered, Z Princess' birthday was remembered, and Zellda. But nothing for Ziconic. :'( Just a quick note in the birthday blog for his mother.

I am glad they posted the video --- Zellda sure seems to have a good disposition, perhaps easy to handle and the "lip thing" is too cute. She has the family ears. I think she looks small for a two year old filly, I hope they don't rush with her and allow her to grow some before racing --- she doesn't have to race as a two year old.

• RachelRachel Member
    That's typical John style you all are forgetting. He does indeed take his time with his horses lol
  • marepowermarepower Member
    Happy Belated Birthday Zellda. Sure are sporting your momma's ears.
  • She really looks so very much like her Daddy! Her face is him, and he is an incredible stallion! Can't believe MDO is 20!?!? Where has time gone? I watched him win the Donn Handicap and told my friend there "this is going to be a horse to remember". He sure is. I truly hope they do not rush or for that matter, race Zelda for the sake of doing it. She is Zenny's only daughter. I say keep her that way. She can carry on the line, with MDO's genetics in there, a great thing, with Am. Pharoah, who is a very kind horse, first of all, but also his foals look like perfect statues of horses. I've yet to see a bad Pharoah foal. I wonder how the 2 of them would match up? Anyone?
  • LionessLioness Member
    edited May 18
    They nick a D on TrueNicks but that is based way back on Empire Maker x Sadler's Wells cross.

http://www.truenicks.com/free-reports/hypothetical-mating/display?stallionReferenceNumber=9314281&mareReferenceNumber=10285772&mareName=Zellda

I like the Pharoah foals, but they are not the heaviest on bone. I wouldn't mind seeing them match up (his foals do seem very correct after all), but after seeing Eblouissante's Candy Ride filly, I probably would suggest him first (she looks very solid at less than a month old). I don't fully like the idea of her going the Unbridled's Song route, but Arrogate has been throwing some foals with nice bone.
  • At this point in time it appears more and more likely that Zeny's broodmare legacy is going to depend on a daughter. I'm hoping she was/will be bred again and gets another filly so that all the weight of the gene-pool legacy doesn't fall on Zellda. I like your suggestion of Candy Ride and I would also be happy with Gun Runner, if he is proven by the time Zellda is ready to be mated.
    Lioness said:

They nick a D on TrueNicks but that is based way back on Empire Maker x Sadler's Wells cross.

http://www.truenicks.com/free-reports/hypothetical-mating/display?stallionReferenceNumber=9314281&mareReferenceNumber=10285772&mareName=Zellda

I like the Pharoah foals, but they are not the heaviest on bone. I wouldn't mind seeing them match up (his foals do seem very correct after all), but after seeing Eblouissante's Candy Ride filly, I probably would suggest him first (she looks very solid at less than a month old). I don't fully like the idea of her going the Unbridled's Song route, but Arrogate has been throwing some foals with nice bone.

• Anyone have any news on Zellda? How is she doing? Where is she now?
  • tincuptincup Member
    Should still be at Mayberry.
    What next?
    Well, if the choice is John S, they would be sending the horse to Santa Anita. If it were me, I'd say no. I don't trust the track, I don't trust the management, I don't trust stronach.
    So what then?
    If Zellda finds herself ready for a trainer and track why not the winter session at Gulfstream.
  • RachelRachel Member
    I believe Sheriffs is at Del Mar now.
  • ZenyenZenyen Member
    Rachel said:

I believe Sheriffs is at Del Mar now.

Sheriffs is at Del Mar because Santa Anita finished their spring/summer meet and there is no racing there. When the next meet opens, Sherriffs will go back to Santa Anita.

• RachelRachel Member
    Of course. I was stating hes at Del Mar now.
  • tincuptincup Member
    Rachel said:

Of course. I was stating hes at Del Mar now.

His stable is at Santa Anita
    His training is Santa Anita
    All his horses go through Santa Anita
    HE is not at del Mar, he races there.
    HE is stabled at Santa Anita.
    Of course.
  • RachelRachel Member
    edited July 31
    Why the need for these comments? I feel like I'm being mocked or attacked.
  • tincuptincup Member
    Rachel said:

Why the need for these comments? I feel like I'm being mocked or attacked.

Not at all. Yet, it's important to understand where horses might end up when given to any particular trainer. My original intent was to debate the different tracks, trainers, approach.
    For example, many trainers from eastern tracks seem to find great success graduating horses from Florida kindergartens, train to time on Florida tracks and then race successfully on Florida tracks like Gulfstream.
    Think pletcher
  • ZenyenZenyen Member
    It’s not meant to be an attack or mocking Rachel.

Unfortunately “tone” doesn’t translate well over communication platforms like this. You aren’t always clear in your statements and present them as fact, rather than a bit of fun.

I’m thinking specifically of your comment about Ziconic’s “tongue” on another thread. After the fact you said I ruined the fun of your comment, but the way you’d written your comment in came across as a stated fact. To someone who comes to this forum with no knowledge of horses, or knowledge of the forums’ back and forth culture of “too cute” jokes, it could have been taken as a fact.

Instead you could have said “The cross tie makes it look like he’s sticking out his tongue!”

In this instance your response made it sound like Sherriffs had moved to Del Mar as a safety measure due to the Santa Anita breakdowns. Given how hot a topic those breakdowns have been this year, an inference that Sherriffs had moved his barn could set off a lot of rumor and speculation. When the truth is he’s running at Del Mar because Del Mar’s meet is open.
  • raceonraceon Member
    Sherriff's moves his horses to Del Mar every summer to continue training and to race. All of his horses that have had workouts recently say at Del Mar according to Equibase. He has been doing this for years, it has nothing to do with the condition of the track at Sants Anita. This is not meant as an attack on anyone....just stating factual information.