Zellda (Medaglia d'Oro x Zenyatta)

123457»

Comments

• Really nice to read a first hand account on how Zellda is doing, to date, and not opinions from photos/videos.

Enjoyed reading the below, especially the part about about how she carries her head.

Is she a quick learner?

Oh yeah, she’s a super quick learner. The first day she was here, she was already down on the track. Whatever you pretty much tell her to do, she’ll do. She’s sassy, but she’ll do what you tell her to do. I think she’s ready to breeze. She tried to throw me off today. She’s so on the bridle, and needs no urging. She pulls down the stretch. She seems to know what to do. She puts her head in a good spot. That’s another thing about racehorses. Some of them are too high-headed. She puts her head down when she’s relaxed, she puts it in a really good spot. You don’t even need to (ask) her to do it. She does it naturally.

If you could think of one word that would describe her, what would it be?

Probably “sassy.” But, I like that, and a lot of trainers would agree and a lot of people would say that you want that in a racehorse. You don’t want them to go out there like a puppy dog –as a baby, especially. That means there’s not a lot going on there, so they’re not very motivated. So, it’s good she’s being a little bit more sassy, a little more jumpy.

A lot has been made of her size. That sassiness should help her?

Oh, yeah. I don’t know why, it’s funny, people say so much about a horse’s size. I don’t think it really matters. I’ve had some big horses who are so good-looking, who can’t run. And there’s little ones who can run so great. You wouldn’t ever think that they could run that well, you know. I think people always value things to size. Like your athletes, they want to see them muscled-up and big. They’re like, “These guys are good!” But she IS good, like when you actually look at her, she’s got good muscle to her. She’s built very well. And she’ll only fill out more, because she’s only 2 and she’s a May foal, so she’s really going to fill out, because horses don’t stop growing until 5 or 6.
  • KMMKMM Member
    I did too! B)
  • edited November 16
    When you read stuff like the below, it's hard not to get excited. And then too, for me, it conjures up thoughts of what could have been with Z Princess.

Even though Zellda has only been galloping, Shirreffs already sees a distinct difference between her and Cozmic One and Ziconic.

She wants to become a race horse. Cozmic One and Ziconic, they weren’t really focused that much. The difference between her and them is extreme.”
  • KMMKMM Member
    <3 B) <3
  • The MdO fillies are something else too.
  • KMMKMM Member
    Nice blog update with pictures of Anne, beautiful, and Zenyatta, beautiful!!
  • I adore Ann. She is so classy.
    KMM said:

Nice blog update with pictures of Anne, beautiful, and Zenyatta, beautiful!!

• KatyKaty Member

Horse Workout Notification 
    November 24, 2019

Zellda (2-Year-Old Filly)

Date: November 24, 2019
    Track: DEL MAR
    Distance: Three Furlongs
    Time: 36:40 Handily
    Track Condition: Fast
    Surface: Dirt
  • KMMKMM Member
    Not bad clips. B)
  • Very nice!!
  • She might be on the small size, but love that she has fire and it sounds like a competitive nature. You go Miss Zellda!
  • Flashback to the first recorded workouts of her bros. :)

Cozmic One
    Date: September 12, 2014
    Track: Belmont Park
    Distance: Four Furlongs
    Time: 49:50 Breezing
    Track Condition: Fast
    Surface: Dirt

Ziconic
    Date 11/25/2015
    Track: Belmont Park
    Distance: Five Furlongs
    Time: 1:01:87 Breezing
    Rank 3/13
    Katy said:

November 24, 2019

Date: November 24, 2019
    Time: 36:40 Handily

• They moved our little girl to Del Mar? Love how excited John sounds about her.
  • KatyKaty Member

December 2, 2019

Date: December 2, 2019
    Time: 39:80 Handily
  • Katy said:

December 2, 2019

Date: December 2, 2019
    Time: 39:80 Handily

Del Mar: Zellda, 2yo filly out of Zenyatta, has second 3F workout: https://live.drf.com/nuggets/49987-del-mar-zellda-2yo-filly-out-of-zenyatta-has-second-3f-workout
  • Horse Workout Notification
    December 11, 2019

Zellda (2-Year-Old Filly

Date: December 11, 2019
    Track: SANTA ANITA PARK
    Distance: Three Furlongs
    Time: 39:80 Handily